You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Field Points in arrow

I just bought some used arrows that have field tips in them that wont screw out. I asked the person I bought them from and they said to heat them up. I was wondering if any one knew how to warm up the arrow so that I could get the field point out. If you do please pm me with instructions on how to do this. An also if you do this would you be able to put inserts into the arrow after the field point come out?

These are aluminum arrows? If so, just about any heat sorce will do. A tourch, a candle, etc. And if they are aluminums, you should be able to get screw-in inserts for them. What size aluminums?
    FBSA Member

if they will not screw out it is time to take the heat to the field tip and keep turing the point into the heat source.

I use a propane torch. I then take a player and pull the point and insert out from the alum shaft. I put them into a glass of water to kool.

You will need new insert and pints, that you can buy online and have your local pro shop sell to you and or do the whole job....I then use bow string wax on the new field point thread and screw into the insert....

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    These are aluminum arrows? If so, just about any heat sorce will do. A tourch, a candle, etc. And if they are aluminums, you should be able to get screw-in inserts for them. What size aluminums?
    They are Gold Tip Carbon

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I would try a heat gun if you have one or know where to get one. If you don't have access to one of those, set your hair dryer on the highest setting it has and keep constant pressure on the point to pull it out. You shouldn't have to worry about damaging the arrow with too much heat, it's already carbonized. New points should go right in, although you may have to clean the glue from the inside of the arrow.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Be careful, too much heat will destroy a carbon shaft. I'd use a tourch or candle on the point only, keep trying it, twisting it, untill it pulls.
    FBSA Member

bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple harleyryder's Avatar

Are we talking about the point or the insert ??? If it's just the point as some said CAREFULLY heat the point up and keep try to turn it out with a pair of pliers. If you put heat on the shaft , yes you will probably ruin the end .
    Hoyt Katera XL and Gold tip XT hunters arrows...Tipped with a thunderhead

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Be careful, too much heat will destroy a carbon shaft. I'd use a tourch or candle on the point only, keep trying it, twisting it, untill it pulls.
    I didn't know that. I would have thought that since it was already carbon (the end product of combustion) that heat would not affect it. With aluminum, I would think you would have to worry about tempering or warping the metal, but carbon should have nothing that would be affected by heat.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    I didn't know that. I would have thought that since it was already carbon (the end product of combustion) that heat would not affect it. With aluminum, I would think you would have to worry about tempering or warping the metal, but carbon should have nothing that would be affected by heat.

Probably because arrows aren't pure carbon. I'm sure there must be somesort of glue or other chemicals holding the whole thing together, that may be why it is unsafe for the arrow

Too much heat will ruin the shaft, heat the point only. Little heat, then pull a lot, then little more heat, then pull a lot, etc etc etc....

On the flip side, if you dont get it (tip/insert) hot enough you'll run the risk of tearing out some of the inner material from the shaft itself when you go to remove it ..I know bc I've done it before. Then your left with a weakend end of an arrow and either have to cut it down or scrap the shaft all together. Carbon shafts are bound together by resins so too much heat can deteriorate the lifespan and durability of the shaft...always have some cold water near by to dunk the shaft into immediately after any heat exposure...
    Last edited by hunter2678; 04-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com