You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: PSE stinger

Default PSE stinger

As a first bow, I am dead set on getting the PSE stinger. Turns out I have a local shop 10 minutes from my house that stocks them.

I have a choice of buying the bow itself naked (no extras) for 325$+tax (Canadian dollars) or getting it ready to shoot (Whisker biscuit arrow rest, mongoose quiver, aries sight with light, mongoose peep sight, and nocking loop) for 450$ +tax.

In your opinion, which of the two options is the better one? Would it be a better deal to buy the fully loaded bow than to buy the naked bow and buy the rest on te side?

One last question:
    The shop I seen it at I don't think they do draw length/weight adjustments, how hard/easy would it be for me to do this myself?

Thanks for your answers,
    Paul.

PS: This is the bow I'm talking about: http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135543&u=0918NI

Shop around it would be nice to find a shop that will set you up if that's the way you go and i mean paper your bow and set your DL at the shop. I am new to bow hunting and had my Hoyt set up as a package but there is some things i will change later after i get some more money to do so. Good luck but just to let you know i drove two hours to get my bow due to the shop reputation with customer service and they lived up to there reputation.
    Fly Straight

If i were you i would go to another shop. I have never heard of a shop that sells you a bow and doesn't do the FREE set up. How does he know what Poundage bow or Draw length you will need?. Unless he measures you. Sounds like he or she is lazy. I would take my money and go somewhere else. Do you have your mind set on the Stinger?. If not, check out the PSE Brute LT. I have the 08 version and its a great dependable, accurate shooter. The temptation is to buy a package so you can get out there and hunt or start shooting. But if you do not like the accessories that come with the package. I recommend that you buy " Barebow". Then do it right the first time and research what kind of shooting, hunting you will do. research the optional equipment you might want to buy. Check out forums. learn from people like me that have bought package deals then a month later are taking them off and replacing them with the stuff you really needed in the first place. for example: you don't want a sight that shoots out to 100+ yards if your a tree stand hunter. Most likely you'll need a sight that performes in close quarters. Good luck with your future bow.
    Last edited by Northwest75; 04-05-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Default Really appreciate the input

Thanks guys for the input!

I'll go back to the shop tomorow and find out for sure if he does/doesn't do draw weight and length adjustments.

I'm going to be researching the extras that come in the package and see if it's worth investing a little more in better/different parts.

I'll keep you guys posted,
    Thanks,
    Paul.

Paul,

On the package, I would strongly recommend against it unless you are just planning to do basic shooting and a little hunting. It is nice because you get a deal right away but as most people will tell you you will have to re-buy allot of the pieces very soon. Chances are you can get the shop to give you a percentage off of everything and let you build ur own accessory package. If this is so the major upgrade I would suggest is the sight. Get one that is micro-adjustable. This will about double the cost of the sight (~70-90 USD brand new as compared with ~35). You will find this much easier to use in the long run. Pulling out an allen wrench to try to get an inch or so adjustment on your 20-30 yrd pin is a pain. The only other thing that I would suggest upgrading is the Whisper Biscuit (also ~70-90 as compared to ~20). This is definately a personal preferance though. I don't care for the WBs because of the tendance to affect the arrow flight as the vanes go through as compared with a drob-away rest. Plus it prevents you from using certain fletchings, helical configurations on your vanes and some of the higher performance vanes. However, that being said I know many people who shoot very well with nothing but a WB, so it is all up to you.

In the end this is ur bow not ours and we all have our personal preferances and prejudices (see above statement about WB's ). Decide how you want to proceed and go with it!

-Rob
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

Well I went anyway to the local shop and checked out futher what they had. I asked the guy if he does all the adjusting and such, he said yes but since the shop isn't big enough he does it at his house because that's where all his bowpress and stuff is, and it is ready for the next day.

The guy is real nice to talk to and you can tell he knows his stuff, so I decided to go ahead and buy the stinger. He is currently adjusting it to my measly 26" draw length and 55lb draw weight As well as installing the D loop, the peep sight, and the kisser button.

It's so different than the recurve bow I have. I tried to pull a 70# one he had on display and it's like trying to budge a brick wall lol!

Over time though I think I'll be able to work my way up the weight scale.

Keep you posted on how it shoots friday as I attempt to paper tune it and sight it for the first time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for helping out,
    Paul.

That's great to hear PblankC. Keep us posted.

Well due to bad weather and bad work schedule, the first day I atually got to shoot it was today, so I packed my bow in my large hiking backpack for lack of a better case, along with my bullseye, my release, my arrows, and my tape measure and dirtbiked to the nearest sand pit in mud as deep as my ankles

I set up my bullseye, but due to pit geometry it is on a slight angle away from me (top further away than the bottom).

So I shoot my first 3 arrows at 10 yards (30 feet) away, they grouped withing 3", but way too high. I do this until I figure if the bullseye was straight, I'd be hitting in perfect center.

I decide to keep practising, I shoot one arrow, and another, I shoot the third, but instead of staying stuck in the ground it flew and then bounced away?!

I walk up to investigate what happened and noticed I had just got my first robin hood!!!

I took a few cell phone pics of the damage, but I have no way to upload it to the pc , you guys will have to wait for the digital camera.

I'm still ecstatic about the ordeal, but those were litteraly my first arrows shot in over a year! I guess I'm a natural :P

Overall I love my stinger, the way it's set up is perfect for me and I do not regret my purchase at all worth every cent!
    PSE Stinger, Mongoose arrow quiver, Top gun 3 pin sight, Whisker Biscuit arrow rest, Cobra 8 oz stabilizer, X weave 200 arrows, Tru-ball "stinger" release

Default First group and robin hood!

PSE stinger - Beginners Archery Range

Yay I have pictures! Not bad eh?
    PSE Stinger, Mongoose arrow quiver, Top gun 3 pin sight, Whisker Biscuit arrow rest, Cobra 8 oz stabilizer, X weave 200 arrows, Tru-ball "stinger" release