You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: moon phases

Default moon phases

im new to the site and i was wondering if anyone can explain the deal with the moon phases, like when its good to hunt and when it's not.and also i've been hunting axis deer for awhile and wanted to git another opinion on what poundage i should have my bow on for them. And any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated on hunting axis and blackbuck.

Welcome....Ive never hunted nor seen either deer speicese you speek of so cant help you there.

Moon phases mainly relate to whitetails activity during the breeding season. There are hundreds of books and even more opinions on Moon phases. Google it and you can read many different takes on this subject.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I'm not sure in Texas, but here in Northern Michigan, the second full moon after the fall equinox is when the Whitetail rut is supposed to be in full swing. My observations are that this is a generalization and the rut timing can differ even 20 or 30 miles apart. Deer around here move when they feel safe. Local hunting pressure and food sources affect deer movement far more than the moon phase. 60# is plenty for whitetail out to 50 yards and maybe more. I personally haven't shot game much beyond 30 yards. I can't say for larger prey. Hopefully some Texas bowhunters can help you out better than I can with local game patterns. Good luck.

My take on moon phase (other than timing the rut) is pretty generic. Full moon -deer have been up all night having a great time feeding and interacting and bed down early so the morning hunt may be a bust, evenings are better. New moon, especially if it's cloudly, it's so dark even deer don't move around much, best time to have a good morning hunt.

Of course these are just in terms of expectations and I will always hunt when I can regardless. I have shot a lot of deer in the morning with a new moon and will be on my "A" game as far as slealth,scent control ect. on those days.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATE View Post
    My take on moon phase (other than timing the rut) is pretty generic. Full moon -deer have been up all night having a great time feeding and interacting and bed down early so the morning hunt may be a bust, evenings are better. New moon, especially if it's cloudly, it's so dark even deer don't move around much, best time to have a good morning hunt.

Of course these are just in terms of expectations and I will always hunt when I can regardless. I have shot a lot of deer in the morning with a new moon and will be on my "A" game as far as slealth,scent control ect. on those days.
    I agree 100% with you.
    Elite GT500, G5 Sight & Rest, Doinker Stab, Treelimb Quiver, Victory V Force Arrows, Grim Reapers, Chameleon Slingz Bow Sling