You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Ga Bear Hunting

Question Ga Bear Hunting

Anyone here from North Georgia or near that area was thinking about finding a guide or outfitter to go on Archery Bear hunt this year. Never have hunted black bear or any bear for that matter and would like some input from people who hunt in GA. Also if anyone has any input on how exactly to find bear traces or what to look for if I was to do a map recon of the area I planned on hunting?

Don't know if you are up for going out of Ga, but I have been doing to French River Bear Outfitters in Ontario Canada. The website is:
    www.frenchriverbear.com

I have been going for 4 years straight, and will continue. The cost is low, and tehy really do it right!

My in laws have a place in up state pa and we see bear regularly.I have never hunted them. The best traces to find are the ones that stay for a wile. Claw marks on trees is one thing we see allot of. Sometimes we see fur stuck on the bark. I would think that the best way to know that they are currently around is to look for tracks, scat ,or sines of feeding like logs that have been rolled over, rocks that have been rolled over, tree stumps that have been ripped apart,freshly dug holes and so on. I am no expert and have no idea if bears do the same thing in GA but this is what I have seen and just thought it could be helpful. If you do go for a recon the best thing I can say make noise. I know this sounds dumb but If I am not hunting them I want to know that I am around , less chance of getting to close. Good luck!!

Default French River

Quote Originally Posted by jdcjac View Post
    Don't know if you are up for going out of Ga, but I have been doing to French River Bear Outfitters in Ontario Canada. The website is:
    www.frenchriverbear.com

I have been going for 4 years straight, and will continue. The cost is low, and tehy really do it right!
    Since you have hunted here before how was the hunting you bag one everytime? Also if you have flow in how did you get all that meat back to the states?

Yes come to northern ontario to hunt bears, I will guarantee you will see at least 1! They are very over-populated lets say and is another reason why I bought myself a bow, bear sightings in nearby neighboorhoods has increased dramatically over the last few years.

In my area, if there is a bear near by you will see piles of feces full of blue-berries, you might see some tracks in mud, they look like HUGE clawy dog tracks, and if you are real lucky you will be able to smell one that has just jumped into a restaurant greese bin.

Hope that helps,
    PSE Stinger, Mongoose arrow quiver, Top gun 3 pin sight, Whisker Biscuit arrow rest, Cobra 8 oz stabilizer, X weave 200 arrows, Tru-ball "stinger" release

Quote Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
    Since you have hunted here before how was the hunting you bag one everytime? Also if you have flow in how did you get all that meat back to the states?
    Sorry about the delay, I was travelling. I did not get one my first year, but the other years yes. This coming year I am heading up 29 Aug. My wife took one this past year, her's was just under 300 pounds. I am holding for a P&Y.
    I have not flown in, I drive, but I figure you could flash freeze the meat and have it shipped down. I would check with the airlines if you coul dfly it in, but I figure it would be a pain.

Default Export Permit

I was researching crossing the boarder from Canada back to the United States and they say you are not allowed to bring back meats and produce and things like that. Do you have to get an Export Permit I have check a few different outfitters and some have them and some don't?

Quote Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
    I was researching crossing the boarder from Canada back to the United States and they say you are not allowed to bring back meats and produce and things like that. Do you have to get an Export Permit I have check a few different outfitters and some have them and some don't?
    You HAVE to get an export permit. The cost is around 40 Canadian dollars. That handles the canadian side. The export covers your entire bear. So, if you are going to take the meat back, and have a rug donw, you must send a copy of the export paperwork back to the canadian taxidermist. My wife and I have done this for our bear this past year. Spooner taxidermy is a world class outfit, and it is colocated with French River Bear.

Anyway, when you come back to the border, you have to clear the emat with the US. That is easy. I took the export license into the building and gave it to the Fish and Game folks at customs. She knocked out the paperwork in five minutes, and i was on my way.

The big thing about hunting in canada, is you MUST have a US passport! if I can answer any questions just ask. Also, go to www.frenchriverebar.com

Thanks,
    Dave