You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Any Tips On Judging Yardage?

I Guess This Is The Biggest Problem For Us All At One Time Or Another. I Did Get A Range Finder, Of Course I Cant Use It At Shoots. What Can I Do?
    DIAMOND "FUGITIVE" BOW, CARON EXPRESS ARROWS, COBRA RELEASE, TRUGLO 5-PIN SIGHT.... LOVIN THIS ARCHERY STUFF

i did this with my dads range finder..Every time you go out to the woods or wherever, take it with ya..Randomly stop and take yardage measurements by guessing, then pop up the finder and see how close you are..I can usually get within 3 yards or so
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Default Yardage judging

Agree with fire fighter, I'm under the impression you are shooting some 3-D. The most common methods are as follows: get your 20 nailed down, find 20yds and then estimate the distance to the target from that point. Next method is to find the mid-point between you and the target (half way) and multiply by two. Ex. Midpoint is 17 yards X 2 = 34yds. Finally this one takes some time around here we call it head judging, after shooting the anamils for a while at the different yardages you get a feel for the yardage just by looking at the target I guss the mind learns the visual picture of say a 38 yard ram...Hope this helps good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
    i did this with my dads range finder..Every time you go out to the woods or wherever, take it with ya..Randomly stop and take yardage measurements by guessing, then pop up the finder and see how close you are..I can usually get within 3 yards or so
    I agree with firefighter too. Additionally, practice will improve your skills.
    2008 Diamond Black Ice @ 65#/C.P. Oneida Extreme
    Easton Axis Carbon ST 340, Q.A.D. Ultra-Rest,
    G5 Optix SE Sight, G5 Meta Peep, Tru-Fire Excalibur II Release, NAP Thunderhead 100gr. BHs
    Great Sales and Service at www.oneidabows.net

One thing I will say is if you use the rangefinder to practice with (by estimating yardage then checking with RF) you probably should do something to "punish" yourself for a blown estimate. Maybe 10 pushups for each yard you are off or something like that.

I say this because having a rangefinder right there to check it acts as a major crutch, without this crutch in a tournament setting you might develop a little target panic when you are estimating a hard target and realize you don't have the rangefinder to cover you. You still have to shoot the shot but now you are second guessing your range and will more than likely mess up the shot.

I'll give a golf example, most people will swing the club better when there isn't a water hazard in view. This is because they know if they blow a swing or a yardage they just have to hit it from a different spot (nothing on the line really), but if you mess up and go into a water hazard you have penalty strokes and lose a ball too.

Thumbs up yardage judging

One of my main methods of practicing yardage judging is to go out with the range finders and kick a ball around the yard and judge it, then range it. Works well for me.
    Good Luck !!!
    TCARCHERY CUSTOMS STRINGS SHOOTING STAFF
    VICTORY ARROWS SHOOTING STAFF-IOWA
    MATHEWS DRENALIN-LD CAMO
    MATHEWS DRENALIN LD BLUEBERRY
    POORMANS SLINGS

I'm about to order the Rinehart RFT for my wife to help her with her yardage judging.....go out in the yard and toss it, shoot it, repeat. Sounds like a good product anyways but i hope she don't lose too many arrows 'cause it's only a 9" target.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
    Quickstand Archery
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
    God's Country Outdoors

I mainly shoot indoors, so I estimate how far 20 yards is, then double that, then you have approx 40 yards if your shooting 40 yards

SG

I am in pretty much the same boat as you are since I am new to 3d. what I am doing to help my estimation is going to an outdoor range and shooting at different angles at unknown yards, and after I shoot I use the RF. That way you get the practice for range and you get the punishment if you're wrong.

oneshot

Default Practice Half way point then X 2

Your first Estimation, is or most of the time- is Right! But if your feel unsure,then add 2 yds and aim low in the 10 ring! Sometimes we all shoot safety, when a bet is on the line! with your buddy! Satisfaction winning a Coke or Dinner makes it all Right

What I did was figured out that my gait is 14 steps every ten yards. I will count out my steps in everyday situations, from my truck across a parking lot, down an isle at Home Depot, whatever. Say I walk out 30 yards from my truck and then turn and look and make a mental picture. I shoot outdoors with some other folks who have range finders and I'm usually within about a step or two at 50 yards. Hope this helps.
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

Default Where ever you practice

Place flags at ten yards. It will help reconize distance even while shooting your bag targets.

Learn to find 30 yrds on everthing
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Welcome to the site!
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000