You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How often should you wax your string?

I was wondering how often you should wax your string? Some guys I talked to say everytime you shoot, others say once every couple hundred arrows. I want to get the max life out of my string, but I noticed with my last bow that I had alot of build-up, when i waxed every time i got done shooting. thanks

Try scorpion venom. Alot easier to apply and it wont gunk up your strings like conventional wax does. When I used wax I 'd rewax them about every 500-600 shots
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

I go about once per month and I shoot on the average about 100 shots a week...or if you see any fuzz on the string or cables...

Now where I have problems I see some guys changing there string and cables each year, this seems to be added costs that are not required.

I would like to know if the bow mfg's have a time period to change a bow string and or cable. I have some bows that are five years old, still the same string / cabels and just shoot like new....the other thing it seems I see some archers buy a new bow and the first thing they do prior to setup on the new bow is change the string and cables. they say the mfg string and cables are crap...can that be or is it just to have a special brand ( Winner) or special colors of the string / cable to go with the new bow...

Bill

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I usually only wax when I start seeing the little frays start showing up on the string. If the string seems like it has a large accumulation of wax on it, you could always just use a hair dryer to re-melt the wax and spread it around a little.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

i try to wax mine after every outing..Probably un neccessary, but it keeps me in peace of mind.
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Thumbs up I believe in waxing alot !

I rather do over kill than under kill on this !

Before and aft. Better more than not.
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

You can wax too much though, which allows for dirt buildup and slower speed and performance..keep that in mind also.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

To tell the truth I rarely wax a string. This is because I get a new bow every year and often only have a bow 1 1/2 years. Once I get new one the old one never gets shot again.

That being said I just bought some ML6 wax about a month ago and waxed the string on my 2008 FireCat, which I got new last year. I shoot almost on a dialy basis once the weather gets nice and about 3 times a week during the winter, putting maybe 50 shots a session through the bow.

I don't know how other guys do it, but I hardly ever see any fraying or whiskers sticking out from my string. Maybe I just care better for my equipment. I don't know.

I will say this. When I do wax a string I use my Bowmaster and take a little pressure off the limbs just to loosen the strands a bit. Then I apply the wax (not too much) and rub it into the strands with my thumb and forefinger. I remove any extra wax using a clean cotton cloth, something like an old T-shirt.

The main purpose of wax is to lubricate the strands to reduce friction between them and to act as a water repellent. Too much does nothing but gather grit and dirt which will act as an abrasive as hunter2678 alluded to.

Something else. Check on BCY or Brownell's website and see what wax they recommend. They ought to know. They make the string material. That's why I use ML6, but there are other waxes with silicon added.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Default Use a piece of serving for wax excess wax removal

to remove wax build up on my strings ( after i have worked the wax into the string) i use a 12" piece of serving. i wrap around string twice (holding serving tails/ends) and gently slide down string. repeat on all waxed string. when done all strings i run my fingers on the string to get a very thin coating of wax.hope this helps, good luck!
    Last edited by Hit'em Hard; 04-22-2009 at 05:37 PM.

every couple of shoots. 100-200 shots.

I hardly ever wax my strings, and my bows will shoot thousands of arrows before I consider changing. With my equipment I prefer only to add a little wax when I see any type wear or white fuzzying going on (a dry area fuzzying a little do to contact on some sort).

Reasons? I feel that the string and cable are twisted tight and the majority of the wax only coats the outside, because of the twisted rope effect and the load of the bow limbs in that case the wax only draws dust and dirt particles which in turn wear at the fibers.

I will wax the strings and cables some if I know I have to shoot in a long rain at a event this helps eliminate some of the water from soaking up in your cable and strings and then causing some of the low shots when shooting at extended distances of 60 yards and beyond

Just my opinion
    I shoot thousands of arrows in tough conditions without waxing much?
    Maybe its the Barracuda & Zebra Strings from Mathews
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Banned

I used to wax mine about twice a week, until I got married now my wife waxes it for me.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

before I wax I wrap the string with a single stand of bowstrink twice around and run it up and down once or twice to remove the gunky cr@p that builds up. then I wax them down.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

I usually wax mine every week if I have been shooting much.

"HONDA"