You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default fingers or release for beginning female

Just bought my wife a hoyt selena, got it set up for a release but we cant find one short enough,, she can pull it back and hold it well with fiingers,,, should we just have her shoot fingers or find a shorter release

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cuttinbucks View Post
    Just bought my wife a hoyt selena, got it set up for a release but we cant find one short enough,, she can pull it back and hold it well with fiingers,,, should we just have her shoot fingers or find a shorter release
    huh? Releases are normally adjustable and if she doesn't want a wrist release she can get a hunting fingers release.

I would say stay away from fingers, it will be tough for her to switch to a release at a later date.

I would strongly recommend a release and here's why. Finger shooting requires a lot more practice to be good at it. Any variation in the finger release will change the impact location of the arrow. More weight on one finger vs the other, a quick release of the fingers, a slow release of the finger, no follow thru of the release hand will all effect where the arrow goes.

Now, lets look at a mechanical release. You press the button, lever or whatever and the jaw opens the same way every time. There is a lot less to worry about.

Most new shooters need early success to understand the joys of shooting. Why make it harder than it has to be for a new shooter.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Chris said it all the release will be much more forgiving making her a better shot.

Try her with a release for sure. If she decides she don't like it then switch to fingers. I know men that complain their fingers hurt from shooting fingers. Can you imagine what it would be like with tender hands.