You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Redid Pretty Boy

Decided to make him more realistic. I hunted last season with him and a couple of times this season with him, and I wasn't overly impressed with success. I then painted his head red to match the birds that I see in the wild and the very 1st time out; big tom sticks around and falls to my arrow. Coincidence, I don't think so. Thought I would share.

Redid Pretty Boy - Bowhunting forum

Pretty boy from the store; too much white IMO

Googled real bird for reference

1st day out with new paint
    John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/"Crackerized"Strother SR-71 "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 UL shelter/stove geek

Default Pretty Boy

Looks like the Boss of the woods.

Nice job!
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

good job ,I like it

My 2nd license opens 2morrow..going out with my new GT500...see if pretty boy can do it again
    John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/"Crackerized"Strother SR-71 "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 UL shelter/stove geek

I forgot to post my 2nd time out with pretty boy painted red. This time, the tom came walking right in, saw pretty boy, spurred him, knocked him off of his stake, and proceeded to stand over him. That was enough, I had to defend my new painted fella; I drilled him broadside right where his wing is attached to his body with a 20 yd shot and a Spitfire Gobbler getter. I just received my new GT500 in the mail the previous afternoon, mounted a Limb Driver on it, sighted it in, and within hours killed this bird a little after 6 AM.

very cool!

Never noticed that turkeys had that much color, untill you pointed it out
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Great job, and congrats on both of those awsome birds!

Give up the stats....beard length and spur length?

I was told (don't know if it's true or not) that the white head indicates a more sexually ready turkey than the red, that the head changes color the closer to breading they are. If true, it would stand to reason that if your decoy has a white head early in the season that other birds might be intimidated by it thinking it is a more dominate bird so they shy away from it. That's all theory and conjecture though, based on what I was told.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    Great job, and congrats on both of those awsome birds!

Give up the stats....beard length and spur length?

I was told (don't know if it's true or not) that the white head indicates a more sexually ready turkey than the red, that the head changes color the closer to breading they are. If true, it would stand to reason that if your decoy has a white head early in the season that other birds might be intimidated by it thinking it is a more dominate bird so they shy away from it. That's all theory and conjecture though, based on what I was told.
    Thanks...I have heard that about their head color too. Both birds had 10" beards, 1" SPURS. 1ST bird weighed 24# and the 2ND weighed 25

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HCH View Post
    Thanks...I have heard that about their head color too. Both birds had 10" beards, 1" SPURS. 1ST bird weighed 24# and the 2ND weighed 25
    Outstanding! Great job! I must say, I'm a little envyous, but I'm happy that you did so well. I think your changing the decoy really worked out for you.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Yea, I don't think it is a coincidence that I have gr8 success with the red head and lousy success with the white head.

I also seemed to have more success with my Original Pretty Boy when I painted the head as well. That being said, the newest decoy in the Pretty Boy family, the Peep'n Tom has 2 heads that come with it. I had some awesome hunts for several hunters using the Upright head and not the strutting head. It's dominant colors are a red base with blue neck and sides. I don't know what exactly it had going for it but man we got some good birds off of him this Spring. Of course, I think adding that sexy DSD Hen helped as much as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I also seemed to have more success with my Original Pretty Boy when I painted the head as well. That being said, the newest decoy in the Pretty Boy family, the Peep'n Tom has 2 heads that come with it. I had some awesome hunts for several hunters using the Upright head and not the strutting head. It's dominant colors are a red base with blue neck and sides. I don't know what exactly it had going for it but man we got some good birds off of him this Spring. Of course, I think adding that sexy DSD Hen helped as much as anything.

Cool pics; thanks for posting, and those Dave Smith decoys are def a good looking and successful decoy.