You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Newbie Shooting Bear Bow Questions

Hello all!

Just started in archery. I have a buddy who is competition level archer. He said something about me having to shoot fingers and not a release on my Bear i am buying off another friend. I have zeroed with fingers and have no problems but i also shot some with a release and didn't see a difference. Does someone have an explination for why i would have to shoot fingers for this bow. I have ordered a release anyway for my upgrade next year if not for this. Also any hunters out there have any recommendations for a good fairly cheap broadhead to use for deer. I am starting to rack up quite a bill trying to get ready for the season and need to save where i can. Uncle Sam isn't that generous with his paychecks ) . Thanks.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by willywin View Post
    Hello all!

Just started in archery. I have a buddy who is competition level archer. He said something about me having to shoot fingers and not a release on my Bear i am buying off another friend. I have zeroed with fingers and have no problems but i also shot some with a release and didn't see a difference. Does someone have an explination for why i would have to shoot fingers for this bow. I have ordered a release anyway for my upgrade next year if not for this. Also any hunters out there have any recommendations for a good fairly cheap broadhead to use for deer. I am starting to rack up quite a bill trying to get ready for the season and need to save where i can. Uncle Sam isn't that generous with his paychecks ) . Thanks.
    The only reason you wouldn't be able to shoot a release is if there is nothing on the string (no nock point or loop) Other then that any bow can be shot with a release. Is it a Fred Bear Recurve bow?

Ditto, if it's a compound you should have no problem with a release. The only thing I can add is, check the nocking point I set the nock 1/4" higher for fingers, so you may want to put a square on it.

*I have had bows that you can't shoot fingers on because of finger pinch(too short ATA) but not the other way around

Ed

Thanks, It is a compound not a recurve. I am going to go ahead and shoot a release on it. I should get it in today and will go see if it make any difference.