You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Bow weight for tournament

No doubt many of the top guns shoot heavier bows. For good reason if you torgue and make a bad shot you will get less movement from the bow.

Whats everyone thoughts on this. Over the years I continue to put more weight on my bow.
    DB

Hey Javi whats your thoughts?
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Heavy bows for tournament shooting.

I was told McCarthy's bow starts off around 8 pounds at the beginning of 3D season and is over 9 by the end of the season.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Honestly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Heavy bows for tournament shooting.

I was told McCarthy's bow starts off around 8 pounds at the beginning of 3D season and is over 9 by the end of the season.
    I have felt more than one bow that weighed nine pounds. May be something to it with all these top guns shooting them.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

While draw length has a lot to do with the movement in your sight picture. I would have to believe that weighing down your bow would also slow down the movement of your pin. Maybe this is another reason why they are weighing them down?

I shot most of my better scores with a 9.25 lb bow weight... but it isn't just the mass; it matters a great deal where the weight is... in the wrong place it can kill you.

and you need to build the body to handle the weight at the end of your arm so that you are as fresh at the end of the tournament as you were at the begining...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Default target stuff

My bow is at 8lb. I'm gonna be adding more weight around 1lb. I'm learning to shoot the outdoor field shoots and I believe it takes more energy to move weight. So meaning lighter the bow less energy to move it. When i shoot outdoors and wind is a factor I feel smoother with a little more weight on bow. Weight on the bow directly and not to much at the end of stabilizers if shootin freestyle. Balance your bow and then add weight down low if possible. Been shootin outdoors a lot and guys are worrying about 5/8" and speed,one little gust of wind and you could be off the target in no time. Just my thoughts and accuracy rules over speed. If your arrow shoots well out of your bow is all that matters with decent speed. If you miss you just have to walk farther to find your arrow. I'm a good shot but on a windy day it can be rough on a archer!!! Biggest thing is to keep your cool and stay smooth!

My bow is definitley heavy..got pob 20-25 oz on the end of my B-Stinger...I keep trying to get the idea across to my other shooting buddies but they still dont like any decent weight on thier target rigs yet... Guess who shoots better on avg,....esp in the wind?
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Default Added some weight to mine

Simms modular and simms enhancer in the front

Weights 7 1/2lbs

Feels pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AEP is making a nice weight system that can be put onto the bow itself. I got a set in Hattiesberg and it made a big improvement to my XLR. I'm also thinking about adding a little more to it.