You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Blackhawk Field Archers (Rockton IL)

Don't Forget Blackhawk Field Archers in Rockton IL will be hosting a M.A.C. Shoot this coming weekend May 16th & 17th.

Look forward to seeing everyone there...

I will be there Sunday morning!
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR Black/Snow limbs
    2013 Bear Method

Well i was there and i have to say the course was not set up very well and I wasn't the only one who felt that way.. I am not usually one to complain, but the targets were set up like a couple high school kids did it while in a hurry...

85% of the targets were at the class max and beyond, there was little to no thought processes used in target placement..
    Hunter classes are 35 yards max (green stake), you had many shots that were over the max yardage.. Target 8 was a good one, the green stake was set right next to the 40 yard marker.. The marker was to a permanent bail and the target was right in front (1.5yds) 38.5 yard shot.. All the shots were set real long making the course boring to shoot. With the markers on the ground giving you the distance to the bail and most targets right in front of the bail, it was like shooting a known yardage course. If I wanted to shot a known, I would have done just that... Very disappointing to drive 210 miles round trip for a course set up like that, I will be scratching that venue of my list of future shoots...
    I also brought my son with (8 years old) and put him in Male Cub, well that was a mistake.. They had the cubs shooting almost all max yardage as well, which is 20 yards and managed to put some 22 and 25 yard shots in for a cub. Heck the Trad guys stake was place next to the cub stake on a lot of the targets, should an 8 year old be shooting from the same place as an adult..

I'm sorry if this comes across harsh, I speak my mind and call it as I see it, good or bad.. There was many many shooters complaining on the course and using some real foul language right in front of my 8 year old, I want to thank those guys for teaching him new words to tell mom about.. And I know what some might be thinking, I shot bad and that's why the rant.. Well the truth is, I shot well........
    08 Bowtech General, HHA sight,Octane Stab/quiver Tri-Van arrow rest Mega Thrust Arrows Crimson Talon XT's baby
    Crimson Talon Pro Staff
    Mega Thrust Archery Pro Staff
    Proline Bow Strings national Shooting Staff

Our group shot this shoot and felt that it was a very competitve shoot.

There were only a few targets that I would say may have exceed the limit, but that would be a guesstimate. I know there is a plus and minus on the max yardage, but you have to be prepared for the plus or the minus. You can't expect for every club to put the targets up close.

I thought the course was set up well and enjoyed the competiton. If you are shooting a tournament that is not marked yardage you most certaintly cannot use the yardage markers to think that is where the bail is, perhaps the bail was moved back or forward. Keep in mind most clubs that host various shoots do not pull up their bricks after all the work is put into them to put them in.

Our group had a good time shooting and enjoyed it, it was a good skill tester.

I thank everyone at Blackhawk for their time and effort put into a good and challenging shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mydeer View Post
    Our group shot this shoot and felt that it was a very competitve shoot.

There were only a few targets that I would say may have exceed the limit, but that would be a guesstimate. I know there is a plus and minus on the max yardage, but you have to be prepared for the plus or the minus. You can't expect for every club to put the targets up close.

I thought the course was set up well and enjoyed the competiton. If you are shooting a tournament that is not marked yardage you most certaintly cannot use the yardage markers to think that is where the bail is, perhaps the bail was moved back or forward. Keep in mind most clubs that host various shoots do not pull up their bricks after all the work is put into them to put them in.

Our group had a good time shooting and enjoyed it, it was a good skill tester.

I thank everyone at Blackhawk for their time and effort put into a good and challenging shoot.
    That's my point, move the targets away from the bails so you have to do your yardage estimation the old fashioned way..
    When you walk up to target after target and they are 35+ or minus, it's not well thought out, it's boring.. You need to mix it up to make it a challenging shoot, not the same shot target after target... Blackhawk field archers has a nice club for sure, but hosting a competitive shoot like that they could have done a much better job on course layout........
    08 Bowtech General, HHA sight,Octane Stab/quiver Tri-Van arrow rest Mega Thrust Arrows Crimson Talon XT's baby
    Crimson Talon Pro Staff
    Mega Thrust Archery Pro Staff
    Proline Bow Strings national Shooting Staff

Default Blackhawk Field Archers Rockton IL

When do you guys start to practice with you broadheads? I hear some guys say that you should only shoot broadheads, but I dont think that is very realistic. I usually shoot field points until about 3 weeks before season, then I start shooting only my broadheads.

Once you get set up and are content with the tune of your bow and all is well
    starting broadhead tuning when you have time to tweak and do it slowly, the sooner the better, you can get broadheads and field points to work together
    out of the same bow (UNLESS YOU ARE A SERIOUS TOUNAMENT ARCHER OUT FOR THE BIG MONEY AND PRIZES THAT IS DIFFERENT) but with your regular Joe who shoots 3-ds and bowhunts with the same bow there is no reason not to get your groups tightend up with broad heads and field tips and no I do not shoot only broadheads I agree with you there, i shoot primarily with field points but when time alows I throw a brodhead on and make very small adjustments as needed.