You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Is the Internet good for hunting.

Over the years I see more and more arguing amoung hunters.

Lots of fuel for antis posted.

Whats your thoughts.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

There have always been people out here that think if you don't shoot what they shoot, shoot the way they do, hunt the way they do and they know every thing there is to know about it and you ant crap. The Internet just gives them a tool to start an argument and to blow there hot air

Not hardly...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Default Now Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Not hardly...
    You know you learned everthing about hunting on the net!
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

When I started there was no Internet. Hell color TV was still a new thing and I seen the first compounds come out. I learned from friends, shooting and trial and error.

and yet here we all are.....

Even though most bowhunters own a PC, why is it always the jerks that are soooo willing to share! Honestly, some of THE worst excuses for "hunters" I know of.... regularly post on forums. I can't believe some of the stuff that I've seen some of these idiots brag about and post up on!

For example, I used to work with a guy that liked to post on AT every night. The rest of us at work joked about the guy all the time saying, "I'm not a real hunter.... I just play one on the internet!". Honestly, that's how it was. The guy didn't make it out twce a year but pretended to be someone he wasn't. The guy always seemed to be willing to share with folks his worldly advice! The fact that he never practiced with his bow, how he had shot deer through the face on two instances and a couple of rump shots and how he had NEVER hit a deer anywhere where he had aimed. This was all funny to him and he seemed to enjoy embarassing honest sportsman by telling anyone who would listen!

What can a guy do???

Default Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Even though most bowhunters own a PC, why is it always the jerks that are soooo willing to share! Honestly, some of THE worst excuses for "hunters" I know of.... regularly post on forums. I can't believe some of the stuff that I've seen some of these idiots brag about and post up on!

For example, I used to work with a guy that liked to post on AT every night. The rest of us at work joked about the guy all the time saying, "I'm not a real hunter.... I just play one on the internet!". Honestly, that's how it was. The guy didn't make it out twce a year but pretended to be someone he wasn't. The guy always seemed to be willing to share with folks his worldly advice! The fact that he never practiced with his bow, how he had shot deer through the face on two instances and a couple of rump shots and how he had NEVER hit a deer anywhere where he had aimed. This was all funny to him and he seemed to enjoy embarassing honest sportsman by telling anyone who would listen!

What can a guy do???
    I got to think some of the guys postinmg are Peta acting like hunters. Some posts are to far in left field.
    DB

I alway like the guy who says his a bowhunter not a target shooter, so he doesn't shoot all summer just a week or two before the season. Most of the time after hunting with some of them over the years they are not bowhunters ether. Shooting there bucks in the butt, neck or leg and worst of all they get them with bad hits and over night they are instant big time bowhunter in there mind and are willing to tell every one how to hunt and how great they are.

You know you learned everthing about hunting on the net!
    DB
    Absolutely.... I owe it all to Al Gore's great invention....
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

This was my first year bow hunting and most of the knowledge I got was from reading posts hear or asking questions hear. I think it is a good thing, even with the arguments. In the end I think we will all hang together, especially in the face of crazies like peta. I shot 2 deer this year and found both. That is a result of people debating ethical hunting and makeing it clear just how easy things can go bad if you don't practice regularly. The bottom line is that nuts (like peta) will always be out there and the internet gives them a voice but it also allows hunters to pass along traditions and skills that could be forgotten about very easily in todays world.

Over the years I see more and more arguing amoung hunters.

Whats your thoughts.
    DB
    Itís all good!

The real issue is that when you talk on the Internet... it opens it up to a greater population of people with opinions. So instead of you just talking with your circle of friends (5-7 People) that may have a few different ideas... to the Internet the circle grows to 500+ people with different ideas. The more different ideas you have the more controversy you will get, regardless if they are anti or pro.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdon View Post
    I alway like the guy who says his a bowhunter not a target shooter, so he doesn't shoot all summer just a week or two before the season. Most of the time after hunting with some of them over the years they are not bowhunters ether. Shooting there bucks in the butt, neck or leg and worst of all they get them with bad hits and over night they are instant big time bowhunter in there mind and are willing to tell every one how to hunt and how great they are.
    Well, I am a bowhunter and not an target shooter.. BUT (prior to injuring myself where I'll never bow hunt again) I spent all year practising with my bow. I did shoot indoors when it wasn't feasible nor practical for me to be outdoors. All to often we were looked down on by the "target shooters" because our equipment looked like it had gone thru a war zone. We used to camo our bows ourselves using various methods and never had the factory dipped camo as we have today. And true. we never hit the "X's" as well as the target shooters did. But our arrows did it in a lot staighter line and never arched rivalling McDonalds arches like there's did.
    But I also heard target shooters talk about how they missed deer and did the same things that is mentioned above. Because, even tho' they shoot all year around, they never spent the time outdoors learning to "guess-ta-mate unknown yardages or the other factors that hunting presents. I've seen many a "target shooter" that had no business in the woods. Thankfully, one can be both, A bowhunter and a target shooter as long as they are willing to put the needed time in learning both.
    To answer DB's question I would say that the internet is like any other tool. It can be used or misused at anyone's discretion or interpetation. Let's hope that here it is used for the betterment of the sport. Both as Bowhunters and target shooters.
    Last edited by MoSkeeter0311; 05-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.

I have belonged to the PBS and have known bow hunters that write article for hunting magazines. They alway said they were bowhunter not target shooters. After going out west or deer hunting out of state. They alway end up hitting one and losing it , wanting to hunt on private land with no permission to hunt. PBS people were real bad about this, the ones I have hunted aroundany way. I know one who is a noted bow hunter who shoots 3 or 4 bucks a year before he gets one that is a good P&Y. He shot two bucks in one night and lost both of them. One week later a farmer found one of them and he wanted me to go out to help get it. That year it showed up in a archery magazine as his big P&Y buck for that year. I was hunting with one who was out west and was caught hunting were it wasn't legal to elk hunt. I been on 3 PBS hunts and all they wanted to do is have others drive deer to them and they lose a lot of deer. All of this guys alway say they are bow hunters and not target shooters. They are good hunters, but not bow hunter because they do get the shots, but always with bad hits and don't quit hunting tell they get a big one. I have had them come into the shop and ask if say a 140 inch will win and if not go out to try to get a bigger one and we find out it was because they had a 140 inch all ready. I could go on and on. I do haft to say some of the best bow hunter that I have hunted with have been target or 3D shooter and the worst have been the bowhunters, but not target shooters. I have done this for 45 years and know a lot of bowhunters.
    Last edited by bowdon; 05-14-2009 at 06:22 PM.

I takes two to argue. Mostly, I share experience instead of giving advice. I take what I need and leave the rest. I try not to allow someone's mean spiritedness get in the way of gleaning the value from what they share. I usually get what I'm looking for. I try to treat others as I would have them treat me, regardless of the circumstances and I need to remember that honesty without compassion is just another form of hostility. It really is not all about me.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdon View Post
    I have belonged to the PBS and have known bow hunters that write article for hunting magazines. They alway said they were bowhunter not target shooters. After going out west or deer hunting out of state. They alway end up hitting one and losing it , wanting to hunt on private land with no permission to hunt. PBS people were real bad about this, the ones I have hunted aroundany way. I know one who is a noted bow hunter who shoots 3 or 4 bucks a year before he gets one that is a good P&Y. He shot two bucks in one night and lost both of them. One week later a farmer found one of them and he wanted me to go out to help get it. That year it showed up in a archery magazine as his big P&Y buck for that year. I was hunting with one who was out west and was caught hunting were it wasn't legal to elk hunt. I been on 3 PBS hunts and all they wanted to do is have others drive deer to them and they lose a lot of deer. All of this guys alway say they are bow hunters and not target shooters. They are good hunters, but not bow hunter because they do get the shots, but always with bad hits and don't quit hunting tell they get a big one. I have had them come into the shop and ask if say a 140 inch will win and if not go out to try to get a bigger one and we find out it was because they had a 140 inch all ready. I could go on and on. I do haft to say some of the best bow hunter that I have hunted with have been target or 3D shooter and the worst have been the bowhunters, but not target shooters. I have done this for 45 years and know a lot of bowhunters.
    I think we both agree on the fact that either target shooters or bowhunters have a large faction of people that don't belong in the woods. And this includes those that hunt with guns. I also have been hunting for 40+ years and have met people from both factions that have no business hunting. 3d is about the best form of practise for bowhunting. But just because a guy can hit a "X" in a known yardage indoor shoot doesn't mean he (or she) has any business hunting. Once again this sounds like a "Target shooter" looking down on those that gear themselves strictly toward hunting. In my 40+ years hunting I also have seen many "target shooters" that hunt where they shouldn't, wound deer beause they can't shoot out of treestands, Don't know crap about tracking wounded deer, don't even know where to shoot a deer, leave their camp trashy, and the list goes on.

It all boils down to no matter in which way you wish to indulge your passion of archery, it takes time and practise. AND DEDICATION. And this bullcrap about "bowhunters" is strictly crap. You have people out of both groups that don't belong in the woods PERIOD....The resulting consequences of not being more proficient in bowhunting can be a lot more severe than just missing an "X" in an indoor shoot. So get off the "High Horse bit" There are just as many Bowhunters that are as proficient as target shooters in their own field. (and yes you can be both.)

I'll be d***ed if I apologize for being a "BOWHUNTER" and not caring about indoor shooting. But I also won't get on a soapbox and preach about others. I don't like riding on a "High Horse"
    Last edited by MoSkeeter0311; 05-15-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Old Archer

OK, the question is "is the internet good for hunting". I surely have mixed emotions about this. When I see names on post like "bambikiller" it sure makes me wonder about who is out there and WHAT ARE THEY THINKING. I have hunted all my life, for sport, for food, for fun and just for the excitement of being out of doors and being a part of all the really neet and exciting things that us bowhunters witness while waiting on that "big one" to come along. I find great joy in seeing the paterns of blue birds out in the Chinery and the dominant bird chasing the others off of my feeder. I take great pleasure in seeing my Son shoot his first Coyote with a bow (something I have never done) and the excitement in his eyes telling the story about how it was done. It also gives me great pleasure in seeing my Grandsons take up the sport of Archery and see the fun they have at shooting a really good patern at 8 yards. I check a lot of the post on this site to learn things that I probably should know, get ideas of what bows are good and which ones are great, based solely on your comments, with a grain of salt mind you. So I would say that the internet is a great tool for almost anything a person is wanting to research or communicate with but we must use some common sense and reason to decifer what is Horse S%&^$ and what is truth. The internet is a great source of information and I for one welcome what it has to offer.

If used properly then yes the Internet has been a great tool.

For example:

Before Ebay a Left hand bow was just about worthless to trade in or sell.

Forum Classifieds have saved me alot of money.

I have learned a few really good hunting tips.

I have learned about proper form and anchor.

I have met alot of really great people.

It has allowed me to become sponsored by some excellent companies.

I love seeing all the hunting photos.

All in all YES,,it has helped me.

Angry It has ruin me !

Before I became an internet archery user ,I was a happy archer who practiced to become a better arrow flinger ,now I just write about it! My shooting has gone south and it ain't coming back if I keep my butt on this chair in front of my computer !

But I get to meet some really different people while being here giving my bows a rest , I must confess that I've turn to prayer for better scores (can't hurt ,I'm so low that the Devil is my shooting partner now ) !