You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Anyone with Lyme Disease experience?

Well, looks like I have to go get checked for Lyme Disease. I had a stow away when I got back from turkey hunting. Little bitty sucker.

I removed it as soon as I found it but now I have the classic bulls-eye rash where the tick was. Of course you start reading the symptoms of lyme disease and think, yep, I've got that and that and that Feel like a hypochondriac (did I spell that right?)

Wife is on my case that you need to get checked NOW! So today I go in and see what they say.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default You should go get it checked

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well, looks like I have to go get checked for Lyme Disease. I had a stow away when I got back from turkey hunting. Little bitty sucker.

I removed it as soon as I found it but now I have the classic bulls-eye rash where the tick was. Of course you start reading the symptoms of lyme disease and think, yep, I've got that and that and that Feel like a hypochondriac (did I spell that right?)

Wife is on my case that you need to get checked NOW! So today I go in and see what they say.
    I bath with bleech in the tub after hunts. Im told the bleech will kill those suckers. I know they do come off when the hot water with a cup of bleech in it. Glad to see many posting and making others aware of this.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Default Do Not Delay

I grew up near Lyme, CT where the name originated from, and I knew some kids that actually had it.... A good friend of mine's kid recently got Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a tick. It is NOT to be trifled with!!!! Seriously bad JuJu!

Get your @ss to quailified medical treatment ASAP, the faster you get on it the better, wether it is Lyme or RMSF.
    Insist on an injected "loading dose" of tetracycline antibiotic (doxycycline), etc...

If treated with antibiotics in the early stages of the infection you can usually recover rapidly and completely.

This is one case where your wife is correct (don't tell her that though ;-)
    Last edited by SandSquid; 05-19-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typos form typing too fast, this is SERIOUS!
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Got antibiotics today. Have to be checked in 2 weeks. They said you can't get the test for 4-6 weeks after being bitten. Otherwise you will not get a good result on the test.

So for safety they have already given me some drugs to take for 10 days.

I did the Doxy a few years back. Having the bullseye is a good indicater it was a bad bite. Early treatment is always best. You should be fine, I am.
    In the future use the stuff you spray on your clothes and let dry. Permathon I think is what it's called. I've not had a tick on me since using it. And we have them bad here too. An aquaintance of mine was one of the first to be diagnosed back in the 70s, but not untill it wreaked havoc with him, he was many months in hospitals trying to figure it out. He was from Mystic Ct. It's one of those things thats hard to detect with tests so keep track of how you are feeling.
    Be prepared for stomach fall-out with the ten days of stuff.
    FBSA Member

I had Lyme a few years ago. I discovered the bulls eye early and doctor put me on antibiotics right away. I think I did 3 weeks of meds and have not had any problems. Doctor tested my blood on first visit, again in 4 - 6 weeks and again one year later.
    He also told me that from now on anytime I complain about pain and he can't find a reason, it could be the Lyme disease.
    Athens Accomplice 34
    Extreme RT900
    Self Appointed Captain of Team Athens NJ

Hey Chris, how's the stomach holding up with the antibiotics?
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Hey Chris, how's the stomach holding up with the antibiotics?
    No real problems. The rash/spot is finally starting to get lighter. No other symptoms now other than the spot itches sometimes.

I will still need to be checked by blood test in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No real problems. The rash/spot is finally starting to get lighter. No other symptoms now other than the spot itches sometimes.

I will still need to be checked by blood test in a couple weeks.
    Glad your doing better 2 years ago dad had it.They gave him a shot and antibotics and about 3-4 weeks he was feeling better
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

I'm going through the same thing right now, but I'm a little further along because I didn't see the bulls eye. Been having really bad joint and muscle aches along with headaches. Went to the doctor and they sent the blood test off. I'm on the Doxy right now, all there is to do is wait to see what the test says. Keeping my fingers crossed for a negative.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    I'm going through the same thing right now, but I'm a little further along because I didn't see the bulls eye. Been having really bad joint and muscle aches along with headaches. Went to the doctor and they sent the blood test off. I'm on the Doxy right now, all there is to do is wait to see what the test says. Keeping my fingers crossed for a negative.
    Every time LYME has ever been mentioned in the presence of any doctor I have been around, I ALWAYS hear this.....

"a negative blood test, does not mean you DO NOT have lyme"
    I cut things up and split them down!

I was at the DR. on Wednesday for a nasty sinus infection I can't shake. During the check-up, I mentioned that I pulled a deer tick out of my chest a week before, and is it something I should be tested for. She said a lot of the symptoms I have from the sinus infection are symptoms of lyme disease.( bad headache, fever, sweat and chills, sever body aches) She said that they would do a lyme test that day, but it would only be a baseline, as the lyme disease itself doesn't show up on a blood test, but it is the antibodies that your body makes to fight the disease that they check for. Have to go back in 4 weeks for another test.

This has been the absolute worst year I can remember for ticks. I bet i'm pulling half a dozen a week off me. This was the first deer tick that I found embedded though.
    Vortex Optics Field Staff
    The Sportsmans Outpost, Wolcott, CT
    Algonquin Archers Inc., Woodbury CT.
    VaporTrail Archery ProStaff
    U.B.C. (United Bowhunters of Connecticut)

I just finshed taking my last pill. I haven't had any symptoms in quite a while. I'll still get the blood test soon.

My buddy that I turkey hunted with was back in the same area hunting for Morrells and he said he found a deer tick on him. Now we are waiting to see if he gets it as well.

Just remember, the bullseye rash isn't alway present from a lyme infected tick bite. It is only present in about 80% of cases. Also the rash can take up to a month to manifest itself. Better to be safe then sorry with a deer tick bite
    Vortex Optics Field Staff
    The Sportsmans Outpost, Wolcott, CT
    Algonquin Archers Inc., Woodbury CT.
    VaporTrail Archery ProStaff
    U.B.C. (United Bowhunters of Connecticut)

Remember brokenarrow's rashes didnt show up right away 2 years ago.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I was diagnosed last week with lyme. Never even new I had the tick. I got the rash but it did not look like the usual bullseye just a round rash that started to pop up every where. the doctor told me that the medical term means a red rash that moves. I have been taking doxysyklin if that's how you spell it and the rash has gone away. I just wanted to remind everyone that if you hunt or spend time in the woods and end up with a rash go get checked no mater what it looks like. my rash looked nothing like the bullseye we hear about.
    Chris, I hope you have quick recovery. If they gave you doxy stay out of the sun it can cause you to burn badly.

Chris, take it from someone who's struggled with this disease for 7+ years before getting a definitive diagnosis. One word of caution, if you have symptoms down the road, get the western blot test from Igenex lab in CA. This is one of only 2 labs in the coutry that does tick borne testing. If you have any questions, pm me and good luck.