You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How Do You Talk A 12 Yr. Old Kid Into Shooting A Compound That Loves Traditional?

I'm only trying to do this for ethical hunting reasons. He is 12yrs. old. He is a very good shot with his primitive long bow. My opinion is he may only injure his game. He likes the prestige of shooting primitive for 3d shoots. I think if he shoots a compound he'll love it.
    DIAMOND "FUGITIVE" BOW, CARON EXPRESS ARROWS, COBRA RELEASE, TRUGLO 5-PIN SIGHT.... LOVIN THIS ARCHERY STUFF

I tired, and failed.
    My youngest had both and rarely shot the compound, I just sold it for him. He's not all that interested in archery right now though, he's into guitars, so he's putting the money into that. He did like his longbow alot. He shoots my 30lb recurve now if he wants to shoot. Point is, you can't force him, just support him. If he insists on going trad, then let him know the minimum lbs and draw weight you feel is acceptable to hunt with and local minimums. In my state the law says the bow has to hit a minimum of 40@28, but does'nt address the archers DL. I hear exactly what your saying though, you'd hate to see him lose one because he did'nt have enough bow. All you can do is expose him to a compound that fits him and see what happens. Even if he wants to stay with no sights and shoot fingers, his arrow speed would be better with a compound.
    FBSA Member

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KEIFER112 View Post
    I'm only trying to do this for ethical hunting reasons. He is 12yrs. old. He is a very good shot with his primitive long bow. My opinion is he may only injure his game.
    IMO, If he can put his shots in "the kill zone", and knows not to take a "questionable shot", there is no need to worry.

I have seen AS MANY deer taken ethically w/ "primitive" bows as I have seen what I would consider unethical shots taken w/ 60#+ compounds pushing 400Gr arrows at +250FPS.

Truth be told, I've probly seen many more people take an unethical shot, thinking that thier super-dee-duper hunting rig will "make up for it".

I've said it hundreds of times:
    Draw Weight, Arrow Speed, and Arrow Weight and fancy mechanical broad heads do not make an ethical kill, shot placement does.

But that's just MY OPINION.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Let him shoot a longbow for hunting too. Just tell him he's got to be able to shoot accurately with a 45+ lbs pull before you let him hunt. He'll either work up to the needed draw weight with a long bow or he'll switch to a compound.

One thing that might help too is find a lever bow (Monster or Oneida) and let him see or shoot that. They have the point and shoot feel of a traditional bow but all the advantages of a compound (and they are easy to work on, contrary to popular belief). If you want to go this route PM me and I can get you into contact with the right people to help out.

Also, if you do switch him to a compound don't force him to use sights or a release unless he wants too. I don't care what anyone thinks a person can be extremely accurate without either of those and be a successful 3D shooter and hunter.

Sorry guys, I was assuming he was not shooting much poundage or DL. I totally agree that a 45 lb recurve of longbow will do the job. If he's there and has at least a 27" DL, sharpen those blades and go for it. Accuracy is then most important, as is waiting for the right shot. My first was with a 42lb recurve and my dl was about 28-29. No pass through, but got both lungs.
    FBSA Member

jim

I wouldn't try to talk him out of using traditional if that's what he's comfortable with. As long as the poundage meets your states requirements and he's taught to pick a spot and be a responsible hunter, encourage and support him.
    Yes, he may wound an animal - there are no guarantees no matter what equipment one uses. No one wants to wound or lose an animal but it does happen. If it becomes a habit, he doesn't need to be hunting. I would bet he
    will be a responsible hunter who someday may become a mentor to another young person who would like to hunt with a stick & string.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I'm with Jim and SS.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Leave him alone... folks was killing deer (including me at age 11) with a re-curve or long bow long before training wheels were slapped on a set of limbs... and todays limb materials make the bows even more lethal than then...

If or when he decides to shoot a compound then support that choice as well... but it should be his choice.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Ok first off noone is to show my response to my wife 'cause as far as i am concerned with her the only people who shoot traditional are those that can't handle a real bow

That being said. If he can repetatively put an arrow in the kill zone and his poundage is legal let it go. but explain it to him first that you won't allow him to hunt if he can't predicatable take the game. then he will make his decision to stick with traditional and possibly wait longer or switch and hunt sooner. Either way good luck with ur young hunger!!
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

Old Archer

Thumbs up Something New!

Even with a seasoned shooter opinions and likes or dislikes are hard to get over. The Bow manufactures play that game with all us every year as they try to compete for our dollars, they are forced to come up with new, faster and more efficent bows. My idea would be to make this a fun event, taking him to as many different bow shops to test shoot different bows. you my get lucky and a new product just might capture his attention. Good Luck!
    Last edited by grizz49; 07-31-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by KEIFER112 View Post
    I'm only trying to do this for ethical hunting reasons. He is 12yrs. old. He is a very good shot with his primitive long bow. My opinion is he may only injure his game. He likes the prestige of shooting primitive for 3d shoots. I think if he shoots a compound he'll love it.
    I've raised a boy myself (30 yrs old now buy the way he still shoots re-curve for hunting) I'd say if you want to switch him he prob won't listen to old dad! Take him to some 3d shoots where most of the boys are shooting compound, let them talk him into it. (maybe) Othrtwise like these other guys, let him shoot it , Something he'll cherish all his life 1st deer taken with stick & string.buy some bare cedar shafts & make it father -son time building them.