You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default A Memorial Day Reflection.

Monday, as we all know, is Memorial Day. Sometime throughout the day I am asking for all of us to take a moment and reflect and say a little prayer, not only for the Veterans of the past, but also for those that are now putting themselves in harms way to ensure these freedoms that we all take for granted. Many of them have spent numerous "tours" and have sacrificed their youth and are doing it on a daily basis. And they are doing it for us. Memorial Day is more than just getting off work, firing up the Ol' BBQ pit and downing some beer.

We need to reflect on all they have given us. All the way from those that stood up to the English back in 1776 thru the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, The first Iraqi war and now the wars we are engaged in now in Irag and Afganistan and in all the other conflicts that have been in-between. Whether you are for or against the conflicts that are going on now is not the issue here, but a moment of silence and a prayer for those that have sacrificed for us.

Most do not understand that this is not only a day for those that have given and payed the ultimate sacrifice, but for those that have shed blood, and also for those that have "scars" that cannot be seen but are felt, and relived, on a daily basis in the minds of those that have served. And these scars cannot be taken away thru plastic surgery.
    And while we're at it, let's say an additional prayer for those that have a loved one that is in "harms way". For that little boy or girl that has never seen their Mom or Dad in months and may never see them again.

I know tomorrow that I will be attending Services at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetary here in St. Louis and that it will be a day of reflection, rememberence and prayer for me. Followed by a return visit later this week for the burial of a "friend of the family" whose body just arrived "home".

http://www.usba.com/memorialday/

Default In addition

To what I have written above:

Too often we confuse Memorial Day with Veterans day. Memorial day is the day dedicated to the rememberence of those that have paid the ultimate price for freedom. Death. Where as Veterans Day is the day in which we extend "Thanks" to ALL veterans whether they served in Peace time or during times of strife.
    I, myself, try to include, in my Memorial Day prayers, all the families of the fallen as they have sacrificed much also. I also try to include those that have sacrifaced limbs and those that bear unseen mental scars and anguishes that most will never understand.
    Plus we need to offer prayers for the many "first responders" that have given their lives so that we may live this life America has given us. The Policeman, The Fireman, The peramedics Etc. The list goes on.
    Memorial day is exactly what is says. To remember the sacrifices those that have been given above and beyond the call of duty so that we may enjoy the quality of life we have become accustomed to here in this great UNITED STATES.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

It is hard for me to seperate them ot Mo
    Always faithful

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

I put on my Dress Blues and went down to our local "Veterans Park" to participate in Morning Colors. I was given the honor of hoisting to POW/MIA flag. I cried.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    I put on my Dress Blues and went down to our local "Veterans Park" to participate in Morning Colors. I was given the honor of hoisting to POW/MIA flag. I cried.

I would have also. It is quite an honor.