You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default feathers or vanes?

everyone knows feathers are much light than vanes... but how much? how big of a difference FPS wise will you gain by switching from 4" vanes to 4" feathers out of an average bow (265-285) FPS? bows are advertised 300fps-318 i think is the highest? but thats all hype.... shooting arrows so light it will damage the bow... so i hope everyone is on the same not when i say average i mean 265-285.... my bow personally shoots 229fps... im on the slow side, with aluminum arrows.... question is, what will you gain with feathers? no resistance to the arrow rest.... light weight.... PRICEY!!!! shrink when wet.... did i say PRICEY???? all in all, do you gain FPS enough to upgrade???? or is a gym membership cheaper in the long haul so you can actually pull back a high poundage bow??? just curious of your thoughts... sure this will stir the pot!

I klnow for indoors I use them so they pack in they do not get damaged like with vanes. I also use big feathers 5 inch on my traditional recurve bow, they sure ensure that the arrow recovers as it leaves the bow and help when you have a B H on the end of your arrow...

Bill

I've always understood feathers to be faster out of the gate, but because they have more drag, vanes will catch them downrange. I like how they look and hold up (except for the wet weather issue). But I use them to be able to get better FOC especially with the few 100 grain heads that I occasionally use. It may not make any real difference, but I like to think it does. I don't think you'll see any real difference at hunting distances though as far as speed goes. Your only talking a 15-25 grain difference vanes/feathers.
    FBSA Member

Default Stick with the vanes

Not worth the price and all the other things you mentioned.

Get a faster bow. Bows today shoot plenty fast even at 40 and 50pounds.
    DB

PS get carbon arrows and shoot them over and over through game.
    Just like these in the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I couldn't get vanes to group worth a damn on aluminum XX75's. With the 4" right helicals I get 4" groups at 60 yards...

I prefer vanes. I don't believe feathers will gain you enough speed to bother refletching. Your current speed is fast enough out to 30 yards on most large game. I killed deer just fine with my Bear Whitetail 2. Modern bows sure are a pleasure to shoot, though.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike1735 View Post
    question is, what will you gain with feathers?
    I went to feathers because I got tired of changing damaged plastic and a beat up and almot missing feather will still shoot great with a tuned bow.

On the other hand, I went to plastic on my speed bow arrows because the feathers were trashed in only a few shots. Not sure why but I think the faster deceleration was more than they could take.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Default Indoor Feather, Outdoor vanes

All and all speed wise feathers are definetly faster out of the gate, but I believe things equal out around 50yds. I shoot vanes for outdoor and hunting. Better durability and no water problems.

For indoor I shoot feathers becasue the are more forgiving.
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?

I'll admitt vanes are definately quieter if noise means anything to you. I do use vanes some, but the majority are fletched with feathers. I don't worry about the speed thing a bit. Thats not why I use them.
    FBSA Member

Modern feathers (RAYZR by Gateway) are just as quite as the Blazer, you can go to this site to here the difference if you can hear one.

http://www.gatewayfeathers.com/
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

I'm been playing with Blazer X- vanes. I got a calm day to shoot and could hold on. Shot this group at 50 yards
    Attached Images Attached Images

1st off I like feathers, not because of any other reason besides the way they look and feel.

But...

I've been shooting Blazers for the last 3 or so years on my compound arrows and will probably never go back to 4" vanes for hunting. This year though I'm giving Rayzr feathers on my 645gr arrows out of my 70# AM32. So far I'm very impressed, grouping is better that the Blazers at longer distances and they're quieter (IMO) than Blazers. Maybe I won't go back to Blazers either...

Out of my 80# GT500 with +-700gr arrows I've gone with 4" feathers but I have no experience with 4 or 5 inch vanes on such heavy arrows so I can't really compare them to anything. They sure do look good though...

Ranger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35 81lbs | 28" 577gr @ 257fps
    Hoyt Maxxis 35 62lbs | 28" 346gr @ 285fps
    PE Bowhunting Club | SA Hunters