You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New to 3D What to expect?

Hello Everyone-

Well I have love to hunt with my bow(s) compound and recurve. I have never shot in a tournament. I have no idea what to expect or what to really bring. I know it sounds silly to you vets of this sport. So, any ideas advise clue or whatever. I'm sure this thread has been asked before but I'm new to this stuff as well. Forgive me.. Newbie..

First, welcome!

There seems to be alot of Okies around here so they might tell you a few of the local things you might come across.

Expect to see shots from really close yardage all the way out to the class maximum of 35-60 yards depending on what equipment you are shooting and your experience. These shots could require you to be in different positions (kneeling, sitting, standing, etc) and shooting in different settings (uphill, downhill, open, wooded, across water, and all kinds of combinations). Either take a buddy with you or ask to go with a group that is of similar equipment and skill level as you, they will help to teach you and will make it more fun.

As for what to bring: binoculars (check regs of shooting body), plenty of arrows, arrow lube, an arrow puller might be handy, maybe some bug spray, some extra nocks, extra target points (not broadheads), maybe an extra release.

Be prepared to become addicted to it. 3D shooting is fun and challenging and most of us that do it will try to find shoots all over the place to keep us shooting as much as we can afford to.

I dont look at a 3-D shoot as a tournament-I look at it as friends just having a good time and slinging arrows. I turn in the score card about half the time and then it is only so they have my name and address so they can send me info on when their future shoots are going to be. Just go and have a good time but one word of caution-it is extremely addictive!!!

Where ya from? Welcome!!! The two answers above sum it up real good!

Welcome,Yeah were you from
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Default Bowtech

Quote Originally Posted by hstubblefield View Post
    Welcome,Yeah were you from
    I live in the Edmond area.. I am considering the new Captain for my new bow. What do you think? I have shot a Old Glory for years and can't find a better bow...

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    First, welcome!

There seems to be alot of Okies around here so they might tell you a few of the local things you might come across.

Expect to see shots from really close yardage all the way out to the class maximum of 35-60 yards depending on what equipment you are shooting and your experience. These shots could require you to be in different positions (kneeling, sitting, standing, etc) and shooting in different settings (uphill, downhill, open, wooded, across water, and all kinds of combinations). Either take a buddy with you or ask to go with a group that is of similar equipment and skill level as you, they will help to teach you and will make it more fun.

As for what to bring: binoculars (check regs of shooting body), plenty of arrows, arrow lube, an arrow puller might be handy, maybe some bug spray, some extra nocks, extra target points (not broadheads), maybe an extra release.

Be prepared to become addicted to it. 3D shooting is fun and challenging and most of us that do it will try to find shoots all over the place to keep us shooting as much as we can afford to.
    Thanks for the help. Question.. I plan just using my hunting rig. Bowtech Old Glory 3 pin sight, rest, release... What class do I shot in? I shoot it daily and can fare pretty well at 0-35 yards.. I also shoot my old Bear recurve which I can manage good groups out to 20+..

Quote Originally Posted by okiebowhunter View Post
    I live in the Edmond area.. I am considering the new Captain for my new bow. What do you think? I have shot a Old Glory for years and can't find a better bow...
    The captian would be a good bow I have had alot of trouble tunning mine but that is it it really likes a light spline arrows for sure
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Quote Originally Posted by okiebowhunter View Post
    Thanks for the help. Question.. I plan just using my hunting rig. Bowtech Old Glory 3 pin sight, rest, release... What class do I shot in? I shoot it daily and can fare pretty well at 0-35 yards.. I also shoot my old Bear recurve which I can manage good groups out to 20+..
    Most of the 3d courses in the OK area are ASA style courses. You might want to check out the rules at asaarchery.com but if you don't get a chance to do that before hand, don't worry just come and fun shoot and ask them to pair you with someone experienced. We are all friendly and love helping a newbie get started. As for what class to shoot... at ASA shoots I would reccomend the Bow Novice class for you. It is a 30 yard max class. Although be prepared because not all ranges have a bow novice class when they are not hosting an ASA Qualifer. Many of them only have a Hunter class for their regular club shoots. Hunter classes are usually 40 yard max. If you decide to break the recurve out, there is a traditional class for you and their max is USUALLY somewhere around 25 yards. The best advice for equipment that I can give you is bring a good pair of bino's. They make a HUGE difference out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Trust me, if I haven't worn anyone out with all of my questions, I doubt you will.
    Alpine Archery - factory staff shooter ** Coyote Bluff Archery - staff shooter ** Victory Arrows - advisory staff ** Bohning - staff shooter
    Equipment: Alpine Sienna (yep it's PINK!), Victory X-RingerHV 350, Bohning Blazer X2's, Trophy Taker, Scott's Little Bitty Goose

Default Oklahoma Archery Assc

Click here for all information

http://www.oklahomaarchery.org/

Your close to Trosper Archery Club in Okla. City

http://www.trosperarchery.com/
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1DevineShooter View Post
    Most of the 3d courses in the OK area are ASA style courses. You might want to check out the rules at asaarchery.com but if you don't get a chance to do that before hand, don't worry just come and fun shoot and ask them to pair you with someone experienced. We are all friendly and love helping a newbie get started. As for what class to shoot... at ASA shoots I would reccomend the Bow Novice class for you. It is a 30 yard max class. Although be prepared because not all ranges have a bow novice class when they are not hosting an ASA Qualifer. Many of them only have a Hunter class for their regular club shoots. Hunter classes are usually 40 yard max. If you decide to break the recurve out, there is a traditional class for you and their max is USUALLY somewhere around 25 yards. The best advice for equipment that I can give you is bring a good pair of bino's. They make a HUGE difference out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Trust me, if I haven't worn anyone out with all of my questions, I doubt you will.
    Thanks for the advise. Sounds fun.