You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Store a recurve strung or unstrung?

I have a takedown recurve and am wondering if it is best to leave it strung or unstrung when not in use?

I usually unstring it after I shoot but I'd rather leave it strung if I'm going to use it periodically throughout a weekend.

Will leaving it strung hurt the bow after a certain amount of time?

It seems like it would decrease string life.

You always unstring a recurve for storage. If your not shooting it unstring it.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
    I have a takedown recurve and am wondering if it is best to leave it strung or unstrung when not in use?

I usually unstring it after I shoot but I'd rather leave it strung if I'm going to use it periodically throughout a weekend.

Will leaving it strung hurt the bow after a certain amount of time?

It seems like it would decrease string life.
    you can leave it strung for the entire weekend to shoot periodically.

The only thing that will hurt it is heat. Don't leave it strung up if your leaving it in the car or a hot place. Self-bows made from a stave you would'nt want to leave strung because they can take a set. But newer bows with laminated limbs are fine. Obviously, if not going to be shooting for a while, then unstring it.
    FBSA Member

Default Won't hurt nothing.

Unless it is 100% necessary I never unstring my recurve. You will do more damage to your limbs by stringing and unstringing than you ever will by leaving it strung. My bow has been strung for three years and I haven't seen a single change. I don't know how you string your bow but I highly recommend the Selway stringer. If you use the step-through or off your foot method then you have a good chance of ruining you limbs or limb tips. Everyone has their own opinions on this but why take the chance. If it is a quality made recurve then leaving it strung won't hurt nothing.

I made sure I bought a top-quality stringer. I don't mess around with that step through method.

If I'm going to use the bow often, I leave it strung. If I won't be shooting for a couple of days I unstring it and put it in its case.

I mean, the purpose of a takedown is to take it down right? Easier to move from A to B. Plus I shoot it at lunch at a range near my office and it is better not to store it strung in the heat.

Most of the time it is strung.

jim

Years ago, you were told to never leave a recurve strung when not in use for any period of time.
    Seems now they say you can leave them strung all the time. Just don't leave any bow in a hot vehicle, etc.
    What I have found is you will lose a little poundage over the years by leaving the bow strung - maybe a pound over a couple years.
    hope this helps ........

Default Heat

I have a buddy that left his Sammick in his pickup and it delaminated. Too bad too. Nice bow. Always scares me when I go to McAllester in August. I don't want to leave it in the pickup but I also don't want to carry it around all day either. As hot as it gets, I don't want to leave it even unstrung and taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You always unstring a recurve for storage. If your not shooting it unstring it.
    what he said

I was always tought to unstring my recurve after use.
    PSE Stinger, Mongoose arrow quiver, Top gun 3 pin sight, Whisker Biscuit arrow rest, Cobra 8 oz stabilizer, X weave 200 arrows, Tru-ball "stinger" release

My bow gets shot every day and stays strung. The ones Im not shooting are unstrung and in bowsocks...Paul