You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Range Estimation Techniques

I know these threads pop up all the time, but Im hoping to get my post count up and pick your brains all at the same time.

I shoot a bit of 3d out here in the Pacific Northwest and have been delving into different range estimation systems other than just guessing

I've found that Im pretty accurate with 20 yards... Just a lot of practice at that range and is fairly easy for me to determine.

I have starting playing catch with my wife (also a shooter) at 30 yards. We go out after work, get 30 yards apart and throw the ball. I feel MUCH more comfortable guessing 30 yards, just visualizing the throw. ("Can I hit that with a ball?") It pretty accurate and serves to book end the 20's

I start to unravel out into the deep 30's and on certain shots can be 10 yards off if the range is past 45.

Thinking about using the ball technique for 50 (my arm is sore just thinking about it...) to put a deep book end.

I have played around a bit with the 'Half" method. determine the halfway point between you and the target, then multiply by 2. My problem is that I am usually off (by quite a bit) in the estimation of the half way point. When I double the number I also double the error.

Curous about your techniques or strategies to lock into a number.

practice more practice and then practice some more. visualize the practice bags at those yardages. then sart visualizing the targets at the same etc etc. but nothing will ever replace pratice. take a range finder and make your best guess shoot it then range it. that will also help out.

again did i say practice?? some guys i know practice judging more than shooting if that tells you anything.

For me this is what I do...we have a 50 yard max...

So..say the target is 47 yards...

I find my 20...

I can tell it is out there a ways so I try to imagine in my head flipping that 20 end over end. In my mind it fits...

I then try and fit in a 10 yard after that...I can see in my head that it dosent really fit...looks closer to 6 or 7 yards...so now i am at 46-47 yards..

I set my sight for somewhere in between the 2...

I will do it over in my mind once more...come up with the same number...Let er fly...

i find to that if i stick with my first "guess" I am always closer then if i second guess myself and change my mind on the yardage...
    Calgary Archery Center Staff Shooter
    Elite Bows
    Easton Arrows

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    For me this is what I do...we have a 50 yard max...

So..say the target is 47 yards...

I find my 20...

I can tell it is out there a ways so I try to imagine in my head flipping that 20 end over end. In my mind it fits...

I then try and fit in a 10 yard after that...I can see in my head that it dosent really fit...looks closer to 6 or 7 yards...so now i am at 46-47 yards..

I set my sight for somewhere in between the 2...

I will do it over in my mind once more...come up with the same number...Let er fly...

i find to that if i stick with my first "guess" I am always closer then if i second guess myself and change my mind on the yardage...
    I basically do the same thing, except I use 10 yards as my increment. For me, 10 yards is very easy to estimate and reproduce over and over.

I have tried to base the yardage off of the size of the target, but my problem with that is when the target size changes........Man, it really throws me off sometimes.

+10 on the second guessing!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Default Learn to find 30yrds

This distance will often help you decide how far the target is from there.

But todays ranges are taking the ground away all the time. Often they dont let you see the full target. You must be able to sight judge most items today. I feel practicing constantly to sight judge works best on todays ranges. You can sight judge trees or anything but it requires practice.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers