You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooting your bow

How do you put the fun back into shooting, old age sneaking up some. and tired of people complaining, makes you want to crawl under a rock at times.

Try out as many bows as you can until you find that "one" that you just cant put down....For starters.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Default Who cares what others think

I have fun and will continue to make it fun or quit. The cost of shooting archery events is making it not fun for me.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I have been shooting archery for 30 years and have never once had that thought.
    I do however enjoy it more when I am progressing. Some days are fun and some days are more fun.
    As far as other people complaining, well............ that is just people. Some would complain if they were hung with a new rope.
    If shooting is not fun for you . Maybe you just do not like to shoot.
    By the way

Welcome mias. Try a different game, a different bow, or shoot with a different group of folks. I have a blast right in my back yard, two old deer targets, and a regular target, then it's pick which I want to shoot. Recurve, compound fingers or compound release. Never bored with it. I'm not good enough to get bored with any of them. When I do get to go to a 3d, it's usually alone, and I end up shooting with someone different all the time. A new face with a different outlook on shooting makes it fun.
    FBSA Member

I probably shoot too much, Iíve been trying to deal with the fact that I can't hold as steady as I used to let alone see as sharp, this seems frustrating, we can say it just old age kicking in but I wonder if that's just an excuse or is it reality.

thanks for the tips folks

I shot with one guy for 2 years shot with him first shoot this year and could not stand him.I switched up groups and shooting and haveing fun.
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

I have a 30' tree stand in my back yard. It breaks up the routine and keeps me sharp for those wary whitetails in the fall. I use the same safety measures I would in the woods. I also practice from my Ambush Sadle.

go hunting
    or go gather up your friends and head to a 3d course

Quote Originally Posted by mias View Post
    I probably shoot too much, Iíve been trying to deal with the fact that I can't hold as steady as I used to let alone see as sharp, this seems frustrating, we can say it just old age kicking in but I wonder if that's just an excuse or is it reality.
    I'm 62, and I've been shooting all kinds of bows since I was 12. Just got my first compound back in '04 and have been upgrading and experimenting with sights and rests. I've got bad eyes too, so I got a sight with a 4X lens, and that just shows how twitchy I am. You can't stop old age, you just gotta adapt to it. If the compound doesn't improve, I'll go back to a stick bow and have fun scaring rabbits on the run...

Good point

i just need to put the fun back into archery and eliminate the elements that turned it into a job.

mias

Default Thought for the day

I've kind of adopted that line of the U.S.Army, " Be as good as you can be"
    When one gives 100% effort whether it's for fun or more serious games he has to be satisfied with the result. We can only reach down in that pocket so far......anyway if you are not in it for fun then it has to be for money...RIGHT....show me a retirement plan.

I have found that shooting by myself is very boring. But when I get around my brothers in archery its a blast. Welcome to the forum. Hope you start having fun again real soon.

"HONDA"

I shoot every day and twice a day when I'm not working, switching and trying to master 3 under put the fun back in it for me...Paul

No matter what you do for fun you have to take a break from it from time to time. Monotony will set in for the average person.
    In your case your going to have to also adjust to changes going on around you. That will cause a bit of frustration. I know. Reaching that 1/2 century mark has at least made me accept (for the most part) the changes. So just take a break for a while. If the desire returns so be it. If not you'll find something else to do.
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

Unhappy That's why I bowfish !

Don't know what you expect ,but since I started bowfishing ,where I can get alot of critters some days ,I love it , give it a try .

Got to get the wagon out for you !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    Don't know what you expect ,but since I started bowfishing ,where I can get alot of critters some days ,I love it , give it a try .

Got to get the wagon out for you !
    Last time I bow-fished it was in about '65 on the Llano river. We were running trot-lines for channels and blues and I brought along my solid fiberglass Ben Pearson 55 lb recurve with a home-made bow reel (just a line spool bolted to a piece of aluminum strap and taped to the bow) and a solid fiber glass arrow with a harpoon point. We knocked the hell outta the big "buffalo" when they came into the shallows to feed at night. Got several twenty-pounders, and I shot one that was so big that he ripped all the line off during the run, and then took the reel. Never did find that sucker. Alligator gars are fun too. Did that out of a canoe...which ain't very smart when you get excited and stand up...

I mix it up with Bow's..different game and targets, Guns.. different game, fishing..different fish. One thing is if I start shooting my bow bad, I take a break for a week or two. It helps me break bad habits. Hope this helps.
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

I been shooting for a few years now and some times it seems like a job but, when thing start to get bad or go wrong change it up try some trick shooting some thing to take the eage off and hey do it just for fun try distance or smaller targets we try to shoot bottle caps at 40 yards it helps. good luck and keep them straight