You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Interesting article

I read an article a few weeks ago about taking does. I think it was in Peterson's Bowhunting(I can't find the mag now) But the jist of it was, take your does early(pre rut)This limits the choices for the bucks and the larger bucks will mate before the younger ones, it also means you won't take a doe later that has already been bred. But the most interesting thing I thought was a study done tracking bucks from birth. Now if anyone else saw this correct my numbers if I'm alittle off.

They tracked 37 bucks:
    18 orphaned, 19 whose mother was still alive. After 3 yrs all 18 orphaned bucks were still on they're home range, and 16 of other 19 had moved off they're home range. So by taking does you can increase the number of mature bucks on your land or wherever you hunt.

I'll try to find the article and check my facts but I'm pretty sure they're correct.what don't they do studies on?

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I read an article a few weeks ago about taking does. I think it was in Peterson's Bowhunting(I can't find the mag now) But the jist of it was, take your does early(pre rut)This limits the choices for the bucks and the larger bucks will mate before the younger ones, it also means you won't take a doe later that has already been bred. But the most interesting thing I thought was a study done tracking bucks from birth. Now if anyone else saw this correct my numbers if I'm alittle off.

They tracked 37 bucks:
    18 orphaned, 19 whose mother was still alive. After 3 yrs all 18 orphaned bucks were still on they're home range, and 16 of other 19 had moved off they're home range. So by taking does you can increase the number of mature bucks on your land or wherever you hunt.

I'll try to find the article and check my facts but I'm pretty sure they're correct.what don't they do studies on?
    Pretty intresting... But I wonder... the reason those bucks aren't moving off the land is probably because there are no new bucks coming onto the land looking to get some fun time in... which means while you may have a nice deer there you stand a good chance of NOT getting the big bucks because they have no reason to come around you.

I also wonder where the study was done... probably in an area with a very low deer / sq mile population

I would also be interested in the long term effect of the inbreeding that would be happening with those bucks that are sticking around. Without new bucks coming in to mix things up, would the long term effects produce more "cull" bucks?
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

They article didn't have any information about bucks from outside the area moving in to the herd. I'm sure that there was some kind of migration. The article was mainly about the tendency for young bucks to leave the area that their mother still lived in. It also didn't say the area of the study(that I can recall)