You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default question about a used bow

I am seeking to join my 10-year old son on the range. Found a PSE Carrera and wonder if it is a good bow for a 40-year old that will shoot targets only. Any particulars from you well informed shooters (max poundage, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by sgjr View Post
    I am seeking to join my 10-year old son on the range. Found a PSE Carrera and wonder if it is a good bow for a 40-year old that will shoot targets only. Any particulars from you well informed shooters (max poundage, etc)?
    I have a Carrera I use now as a backup bow for hunting. It's 70# with the U-1 cam. It's been a real good bow, easy to set up, and shoots great. I had no problems with mine; just bought an Illusion for a smoother hunting set up.

one of PSE's fastest bows, they ever made, w/the orion cam it would do like 333fps, sold a ton of Carreras, but w/the lightning cam, they would do 323 at 70lbs, 30"......the Orion cam was 60% let off....not a big seller, when people would try to shoot the thing.....what cam does the bow have?
    I cut things up and split them down!

One of my buddies has a PSE Carerra 70# that he uses it for hunting and 3D. He's an excellent shot on a 3D range. The bigger issue is wether or not the draw weight and draw length are right for you. You might need to talk to somebody at a local pro shop to get some help with that before you make your purchase. There are threads in this forum that describe how to determine your proper draw length.

Ron

The cam is an Orion 9. The guy wants $250. Is it too much?

for some reason I am thinking and I could be wrong but that sounds like a either a 29 or 30 draw.....and I cant remember if it is adjustable.....it is 60% let off though and I myself would not enjoy shootin it very much.....not to mention the rather short brace height......not very forgiving.....what is the draw weight??? Would not set this up for a beginner......

Does it come w/any extras? Sight, rest, arrows???

I would probably give 200 for it but not much more......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Thanks for the input. I took the bow out and shot many arrows from 10 and 20 yards. Six arrows, sight (Cobra), basic rest, decent release (according to a knowledgable friend), case... It appears to be set at a draw of 60 lbs. Found it to be very accurate. My friend let me shoot his Bowtech. Nicer bow but much more expensive. Probably will drive to a local shop and try out a bunch. Thanks for all your advice.