You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Liife of Limbs

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default Liife of Limbs

    Just put a new string on my four-year-old Mathews Ovation, and decided to check the poundage, and it comes up 53-54 lbs. Now that's weird because the last time I checked, it was 57-8. Tiller is the same. Shot this string for about a week too. Marked the cam wheel on the bottom, and no movement.
    Using a "Buckmaster" tubular poundage gauge that I've had for four years.
    I'm thinking that that's why it hasn't grouped well for the past few weeks. The bow is stored in the house usually, unless I forget and leave it in the shop. Only used a cable press, or the press at the "Pro shop."
    Anybody ever have that happen to'em? Gremlins? Hoyt sabotuers?

  2. #2
    Senior Member CutTheLoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Are you saying you changed string?

    If so, did you also change the buss cable? Those few pounds of draw weight can be easily lost by a stretched cable, and easily recovered with a few added twists.

    ..............................

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
    Are you saying you changed string?

    If so, did you also change the buss cable? Those few pounds of draw weight can be easily lost by a stretched cable, and easily recovered with a few added twists.
    Cable looked fine. Didn't change it. The string and cable were changed about two years ago. Wouldn't the tiller change too? It's the same.
    AThe old mark I had has moved about 1/16" toward the bow limb. So, should I shorten the cable by twisting it?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    How are you compared to specs of 39.5 ATA and 8 1/8 BH? Even then, the specs are only close. Go for poundage,DL, and cam orientation. If you end up with specs really out of wack, then I'd look for a problem.
    Last edited by red44; 06-23-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    FBSA Member

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    How are you compared to specs of 39.5 ATA and 8 1/8 BH? Even then, the specs are only close. Go for poundage,DL, and cam orientation. If you end up with specs really out of wack, then I'd look for a problem.
    I'll have to check. Thanks

  6. #6
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    this is straight from Mathews
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I cut things up and split them down!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    this is straight from Mathews
    Yep, that's my cam. What's the URL on that site? I never could get answers from'em before, so that's why I've been bothering ya'll.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    I'll have to check. Thanks
    Twsted the cable six rev's, and the old tuning mark came up back where it was.
    Now ATA is 39-7/8" where it was 40".
    BH is now 7-3/4" where it was 8" to the outside of the string.
    Poundage is now between 56-57, and it shot 6" higher at 50 yards.
    The gremlins are here....

  9. #9
    Old and Experienced
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dixon IL
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    Twsted the cable six rev's, and the old tuning mark came up back where it was.
    Now ATA is 39-7/8" where it was 40".
    BH is now 7-3/4" where it was 8" to the outside of the string.
    Poundage is now between 56-57, and it shot 6" higher at 50 yards.
    The gremlins are here....
    Ok don't be worried about the ATA being off a little but-------something doesn't add up here.

    If your ATA is now shorter then your BH should of got bigger not smaller.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archeryisme View Post
    Ok don't be worried about the ATA being off a little but-------something doesn't add up here.

    If your ATA is now shorter then your BH should of got bigger not smaller.
    That's what I thought too. It's shorter. The book says 8". The bolts are screwed all the way down. It should be at 60 lbs. It's not. Nock point and peep haven't changed. I can't feel any appreciable difference in the DL, but the mark has moved a good 3/16". I just want a stable poundage when I go to buy some $$$ carbon arrows. Seems to shoot OK this morning.

  11. #11
    Senior Member JAVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    I've offered to help you set this bow up if you will call me.. but I can only lead a horse to water... I can't make him drink...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    I've offered to help you set this bow up if you will call me.. but I can only lead a horse to water... I can't make him drink...
    Thanks, I saw your offer.
    Been hung up on the CWS with the 'Horns and LSU for the past few evenings, so I couldn't call you up. If it ends tonight, I'll give you a call after 3 PM tomorrow.
    Hope the gremlins don't rub off.... ;-)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Limbs
    By CutTheLoop in forum Mathews Bows for Sale or Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
  2. WTB 60#limbs
    By OneMustFall in forum WTB: Want to Buy Archery Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 02:47 PM
  3. Can anyone tell me what bow these limbs go on?
    By QSA in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-22-2007, 03:08 PM
  4. Limbs
    By jejna in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
  5. wtb set of 40-50 lbs limbs
    By BUNNYMAN in forum Archery Equipment Accessories - Buy Sell Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •