You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What tips do you do in the Hot Summer days on the range?

These 100degree days in the heat are tough. What are some of the tips you do to keep your scores good in these extremely hot days.

Texas is getting 104 degrees in some parts.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Dont be an idiot like me and shoot at 14's enjoyed shooting with ole Dano..THE CLASSIC will be different!

Default Same here Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by bobby22 View Post
    Dont be an idiot like me and shoot at 14's enjoyed shooting with ole Dano..THE CLASSIC will be different!

Im glad we wont have to worry about them next year. I hit two of Charles arrows on Sunday just like you in the 12 ring and got eights. Went for 14 after that and it was ugly. Hit two out of five. Really enjoyed shooting with you buddy.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    These 100degree days in the heat are tough. What are some of the tips you do to keep your scores good in these extremely hot days.

Texas is getting 104 degrees in some parts.
    Drink, drink, drink... I force myself to drink at least bottle of water or Gatorade between water stations.

And lately, I have started "making" myself sit down between targets. It hadn't been uncommon for me to stand an entire round.

And wear a hat, no one will care how cool your hair looks when they're jamming an I.V. in you and having to haul out your carcass.

First and foremost practice in these conditions versus setting in the air conditioned house, this will give you the opportunity to see how the heat affects you, your performance as the day wears on and how and what it affects as far as your equipment.

Have plenty of water
    Umbrella if possible
    Sun screen

Then when you enter an event where these conditions pre-vale you will be prepared!

You will have an edge on your competitors mentally knowing you have the advantage of playing this game to the fullest in the heat, while others will be focusing more on surviving the elements you will be hammering 12s & 14s and you will have the mindset to win.
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Wear light colored clothing first off!. Ditch jeans or jean shorts and wear cotton shorts. I bought some and they allow the breezes to blow through unlike denime. Im still amazed at the older guys at my club who insist on wearing dark camo shirts/big jean shorts/ and boots to shoot in then about how hot it is.... I wear white/light colored dry clime/polyester shirts, khaki/cotton cargo shorts and sandals to shoot in along with a boonie hat or something to cover the back of my neck from the sun. I'll also shoot with a Small (key word here) wet towel around my neck too. Ill tote around a camelbak on ocassions ...drink plenty of water too...
    Last edited by hunter2678; 06-30-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Good tips above.

Keep your bow in the shade as much as possible. Really excessive heat will cause your string to stretch. The black peep sites will absorb heat more than the strings. I've never seen it, but have heard that the peep is the place where a string will break from the heat.

Practice shooting with baby oil on your grip. It's a lot like what you will face with sweaty hands.

Acclimate yourself to the heat. It takes a lot of time to for your body to adapt to heat & humidity. We are a pretty adaptable species, but we con't jump from mild temperatures to the dog days of summer in just a day or two. The army figures 2 weeks to adapt and they are dealing with guys a lot younger than some of us.

Water, water, water - it will make a big difference.

If you begin to feel the least bit dizzy, sit down. You're likely going down anyway, but if you sit down first, you're less likely to hurt yourself or worse, fall on your bow or break some arrows.

Heat kills more people than cold. Take it seriously.

Water,water water....I slam a powerade before hand and carry a large water bottle on my belt.

Then again its 59 degrees up here today
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

All good tips above. I practice in the heat as much as possible to get my body more prepared to be in it. I don't just shoot in the mornings & evenings I make sure I have a shooting session in the middle of the day too. Stay in the shade as much as the course lets you. As mentioned above continue to drink plenty of fluids(Water & Sports drinks). I know you already know this Dan but body conditioning helps alot too. But the biggest thing that helps me deal with the heat is just making myself get out in it on a regular basis so that I am use to it.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Most people forget that the body is not that affected by the heat as is the "mind" when your brain starts telling you you are an idiot for being out here it's all over for the days shooting.. So try to take time outs during the round to refresh your mental state of being. Ken

Default Easy for you skinny guy

Quote Originally Posted by okarcher View Post
    All good tips above. I practice in the heat as much as possible to get my body more prepared to be in it. I don't just shoot in the mornings & evenings I make sure I have a shooting session in the middle of the day too. Stay in the shade as much as the course lets you. As mentioned above continue to drink plenty of fluids(Water & Sports drinks). I know you already know this Dan but body conditioning helps alot too. But the biggest thing that helps me deal with the heat is just making myself get out in it on a regular basis so that I am use to it.
    Us old fat out of shape guys are in big trouble. Old doesnt help as well. Whats body conditioning? Now your making this archer to much like a job! Those high sugar sports drink done work for us diebetics! I drink alot so I sweat alot. Ugly legs or not the shirts will be coming out. I did head to Wally world and get a couple of golf white golf shirts in metropolis that sure helped.
    DB

shorts and light colored shirts are a must for me. I just can't handle the jeans anymore and no ones legs look any worse than mine.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Default Take that bet

Quote Originally Posted by okarcher View Post
    shorts and light colored shirts are a must for me. I just can't handle the jeans anymore and no ones legs look any worse than mine.

Atleast your are skinny! No one wants to see fat legs.
    DB

If its 100*, my fat butt is going to be in the air conditioning.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

Just an enthusiast.

As several people said, water.
    Not soda, soda will only dehydrate you more.
    A hat would be good, but not a fitted.
    It should be mesh, even a visor would work.
    For sweaty hands, just pick up a pair of mechanic's gloves or something. Like, $10 at your local hardware, maybe even grocery store.
    If you do get gloves, make sure they breathe, and even though it goes without saying, make sure that you can operate your release with them on.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    These 100degree days in the heat are tough.
    hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate,

Water
    not soda beer or wine.

don't waste your money on Sports Drinks
    If you are prone to electrolyte imbalance, find a caffine and sugar free drink and add it 4:1, water to sports drink.

You will never see me without a 3liter CamelBak on, or a 1liter Nalgene bottle in my hand.

At 130°F in the Arabian Desert you learn fast or end up on IV, or worse.

Those cooling neck bands w/ water absorbing crystal are awesome.

Fell in love with then over there...
    loved them so much several of us from my unit started a project at my church
    making them and shipping them over there for the inbound troops.
    soak it in water for 5 minutes wear it all day, feel 10° to 20° cooler.

PM me your address and I'll mail you one to try out
    I won't be home before the 7th to mail it though.
    Last edited by SandSquid; 07-01-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Default Must be a Southern thing.

If it was that hot out I wouldn't be out.

I'll shoot a round if it's between 10 and 90 degrees but anything over 90 has me sittin under a shade tree sippin my favorite beverage.

The worst I seen it - was 2006 in Yankton SD at the outdoor Nationals a thermometer in the shade of a tree registered 113 degrees. Big news for that day, this was at the Lewis & Clark National Park.

All week there it was in the high 90s tipping into the 100 mark

This makes for a very challenging event.
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Default I have done all of this and have one odd one to add...

last year at the Budweiser shoot in Sedalia it was atleast 98 degrees, what really got to me in the heat even when drinking plenty of fluids was how much my feet bothered me from the sweat soaked socks I was wearing. Luckily from experience I now keep a fresh pair of dry socks with me to change. Just like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump says " take care of your feet soldier". It does wonders when you dont have to concentrate on raw feeling feet on uneven terrain.
    Switchback 28"
    Scott Longhorn III
    Scott Mongoose
    Easton Fatboy 400 (344 grains- 260fps@58lbs)
    Specialty Archery Superstix
    NAP Drop way
    Sims Vibration
    Spot Hogg Sights

"A bad day of target shooting is still better than a good day of work".

How about making sure you're the first in line in the morning????????????
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?