You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thehairlessone! View Post
    I always hated shooting bag targets too. I shoot better at animals.

rick

I'm backwards.........I have a hard time shooting animals.

there is nothing to focus on when looking at 3d targets just a wall of black or brown. I start trying to aim and yanking the trigger when I think the pin is in the circle. When I have a solid spot to stare at I can accept the float and let the release happen without any thought.

I can shoot a bag target way better than foam.

not to mention I can't judge yardage.

I'd say it is target panic.

Big blue dot... easy to hit, just hold it right there... hold it STILL, you're moving... crap... HIT IT!

Try putting a dot on the 3-d and see if you dont have the same problem.

It's funny, I shoot a lens (6x) I shoot better without a clarifier than I do WITH. Without a clarifier the target is fuzzy... with I can see the rings... and then I try to over control the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
    "you sure you got enough yards?...are you? , better hold higher, no wait... a little lower, that last miss was high, but wait, you didn't have the yards then either...are you sure your peep didn't move this morning when you snagged your bow pulling out of the case? How long are you gonna aim, are you gonna release yet ? Maybe you should let down, but then again maybe this is the one time, when you actually have it all correct. are you?, do you?, will you? NOW YANK IT!!!"

LOL
    Man... aint that the truth.

That voice has to be blocked out. Fighting for quiet at full draw is critical.

I tend to compartmentalize pretty well. my wife struggles with it more than I do.

I envision two separate shooters. One gets to guess the yardage and dial it in. The other shoots the shot. I go through the yardage estimation process and dial the yardage... then I turn it off.

When I go to draw back it might as well have been my wife who set the yardage. I dont think about it. And at this point I honestly dont care if the arrow goes 2 feet over the target's back. Yardage estimation is done... time to shoot. If I dont shoot perfectly, it wont matter how accurate the estimation was.

They are two completely separate disciplines and you have to keep them that way.

If I guess the yardage and then execute the shot the feedback from the shot is applied to both disciplines, but only if the shot was executed correctly. It then reveals if I made an accurate estimation and also reveals the consistency of my shot process.

Even a miss is positive feedback. I completely whiffed a target yesterday at the R100. 2 Flamingos 1 arrow at each. the second was slightly behind the first... I dialed 37 yards after significant cross checking and was confidant in my estimation.

Executed a near perfect shot and stuck my arrow in a tree! right over it's back. First target i've whiffed in I dont know how long.

Knocked another arrow, did the math on the feedback from the first shot, realized how I got duped, redialed the yardage and 10 ringed the other.

My shot was perfect, but the estimation in yardage was off. The arrow just revealed the error.

I would rather take a clean miss like that, break an arrow, and humble my over active ego than to yank the release and 10 ring it.

Most, not all, groups that have been shown on this thread could actually be explained as easily as the bag moving at each point of impact. A 3d target is rigid and does not move each time you hit the target, unlike the burlap cover of the bag targets that move in a stiff wind.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Default This target

Quote Originally Posted by clemenlp View Post
    Most, not all, groups that have been shown on this thread could actually be explained as easily as the bag moving at each point of impact. A 3d target is rigid and does not move each time you hit the target, unlike the burlap cover of the bag targets that move in a stiff wind.
    Sits on the ground and it flat on the bottom. No movement here.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post

"you sure you got enough yards?...are you? , better hold higher, no wait... a little lower, that last miss was high, but wait, you didn't have the yards then either...are you sure your peep didn't move this morning when you snagged your bow pulling out of the case? How long are you gonna aim, are you gonna release yet ? Maybe you should let down, but then again maybe this is the one time, when you actually have it all correct. are you?, do you?, will you? NOW YANK IT!!!"
    I love it Jimmy!! And that is so true!!

I have to say... I shot an animal better than a bag myself... always have.
    Staff Shooter: On Target Archery--Vortex Optics--Sure-Loc--T.R.U. Ball--Gold Tip-- Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

I know what you mean. I shoot some bag targets good but animal targets shoot very well. The target that gets me all day long is the 18-1 target. I can't group on that thing to save my life.

I dont have to change my sight at all when shooting dots and then going to an animal But I was talking to Bobby Ketcher in Illinois and he has too change his sight setting. He says he has to sight in around 2 inches left on a dot so it will hit the animal where he wants to.

Default Grouping Better

Just saying the heck with over thinking it. Get on target and just be smooth and release.

Dont overthink it! Just making it harder than I should.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers