You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Long Rang Paper Tuning

Having some probs getting LS-400's with straight 2" Blazer vanes to group well beyond 40 yards. I get pretty consistent tight groups out to 30+, but they open up about 35+. Paper tested from 10' to 30 yards, and I get good symmetrical tears, but at 40 it goes high right. I've stripped three shafts and are fletching with Quick-spin 2" vanes set at one degree to see if that helps with stabilization at longer ranges.
    Is it a good idea to paper test at long ranges, or am I wasting my time?
    Thanks.

Tim Gillingham paper tunes all his arrows out to 30 yards...and he checks each of them with a differnet ****-vane by rotating the arrow...
    On Target Archery Shooting Staff - Control Freak Stabilizers Pro Staff - Vortex Optics Pro Staff
    LP Archery Shooting Staff - Sure-Loc Shooting Staff - Mathews Co-Op Shooting Staff

Default LOng range test

Good question. I never paper test that far out. Group tune past 30yrds.

Bet Javi or Xquest could answer this one.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Good question. I never paper test that far out. Group tune past 30yrds.

Bet Javi or Xquest could answer this one.
    DB
    Guess I gotta call Javi up. Trying to condense all the tuning questions so I don't be a PITA on the phone...

Maybe I should check my 400 Axis with 2 Inch blazer at 50 yard. At 50 yards with 100 gr. Montec broadhead my 3 arrow groups open up to about a 3 inch group

Default 3" groups at 50yrds

Quote Originally Posted by bowdon View Post
    Maybe I should check my 400 Axis with 2 Inch blazer at 50 yard. At 50 yards with 100 gr. Montec broadhead my 3 arrow groups open up to about a 3 inch group
    I think your tuned very well.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by bowdon View Post
    Yer a sick, sick, puppy to be postin' that while I got problems. ;-)

I cant see what benefit shooting through paper past 10 yds would be?

Your fletching should have stabilized the arrow by 10 yds.

number your arrows maybe you have a couple bad ones.

You might even try to Tiller tune it. Just start out by putting 1/4 turns on the bottom limb and see where it groups best. My aim and groups are alot better once I start tiller tuning.
    Jame

I would'nt worry much about paper beyond 5 or 10 yards. Move on to another method.
    I don't shoot long range myself, so I like bareshaft vs fletched. Works well for me out to 40 yards. If you go further, I would think simple group tuning would show all you need to know. Minute changes in nock/rest height, cam sync/timing, centershot, and spine changes via point weight or adjusting the limb bolts all in order to shrink group size. Mike can show you the way there.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    Yer a sick, sick, puppy to be postin' that while I got problems. ;-)
    Me too. I'm can always trying to shoot a little better. I'm never satisfied in my groups and always trying to do better. My 3 inch groups could be 1 inch groups or shooting nocks off at 50 yards.

I have a question on tiller tuning

With a Binary cam bow, how much does it affect cam timing? Are the same benefits realized with a solo cam bow?

I've never done it before and am curious on the possible gains in stability and accuracy. Heard a lot about it, just dont fully understand it.

Thank you for the help

IMHO, paper tuning past 12 to 15 yards is not effective. By 15 yards, your fletching should have overcome any wobble from being out on nock height and centershot.

If your groups are opening up at longer range it may be due to too much fletching. This is one of the reasons that field archers use the tiny little vanes.

The more fletching that you have the sooner your arrow slows down and becomes a little less stable. The Easton tuning guide refers to this a excessive drag.

Per the guide:
    "On light weight arrows, it is very important to reduce drag to a minimum to maintain maximum downrange velocity. This can be done by reducing the size (height and/or length) of the fletching or by reducing the angle of the fletching, or both."

Hope this helps,
    Allen

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Not sure on tiller tuning binaries. Never done it. But I will here shortly and let you know. Here is anarticle JDX wrote about tiller tuning.

http://www.thefbsa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?