You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hoyt Bow Problems

Hi I am new to target archery and was hoping someone could help me with a problem. I recently purchased a Hoyt Pro Elite, 3000 limbs, cam and a half plus. My rest is a trophy taker spring steel and a have an axcel 3000 sight. When i brought my bow home it was shooting great. At 20 and 30 yard, i could put up 2 inch groups. Over the past week, my groups have started to drift. What i mean by this is my 2 inch group moved 4 inches to the right, and then 3 inches up the day after that. I have checked all the screws on the bow to make sure they are tight, and my peep is not moving. I used lock tight on the bracket holding my sight to the bow. I would appreciate any insight that some of you more experianced shooters could give me.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

How many shots do you have on those new strings and cables??? Have you checked the rotation and draw stop timing???
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?

i have about 300-400 shots with my new bow. I am not sure how to check the timing you are talking about. do you know if there is a "break in" period on the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by bbarton123 View Post
    i have about 300-400 shots with my new bow. I am not sure how to check the timing you are talking about. do you know if there is a "break in" period on the bow?
    The answer to your question is yes, but the break in period is not on your bow but the strings and cables. As you putting the first 100-200 shots or so the strings and cables will stretch a bit. This will throw of the rotation or Draw stop timing. After little bit the string/cables will stop stretching. Which is where you sound like your at. Go to a knowledgeable shop and ask them to check the timing. It shouldn't take more than a few twists in the cables and string to fix your problem.

If you are a new shooter I would almost suspect that your grip/hold/anchor is changing from night to night. The factory strings and cables are not that great, but 4 inches at 20 yards is a lot more than a little sting stretch.

If you are an experienced shooter and are sure that "form" is not the issue I'd start checking all the sight screws next.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    If you are a new shooter I would almost suspect that your grip/hold/anchor is changing from night to night. The factory strings and cables are not that great, but 4 inches at 20 yards is a lot more than a little sting stretch.

If you are an experienced shooter and are sure that "form" is not the issue I'd start checking all the sight screws next.
    I would agree that might be part of the problem.(Especially the left/right misses.) My expirence with some people would point to the high/low misses have some part to do with the DST.

Often shooters that have always shot a bow with a bulky grip have to take some time to get used to the skinny grip on the elites. The Pro-elite especially takes some getting used to with it's deflexed risor/grip. The Pro encourages a little higher wrist than many shooters are accustomed to.

Shooters that put a lot of "heel" into their grip often are the ones that have a ton of weight on the front stabilizer when shooting a Pro-elite.

It is very important on these bows to shoot with very "soft" hands. Any tension or torque will give you left and right fits!

Thank you for your help. The change in my grip made all the difference. Being a new shooter, i have some stuff to learn. Do you guys know of any good books or DVD's that could help me get better?

Go over to www.archerylearningcenter.com and you can order GRIV's dvd's. They have a lot of good information about developing your form. Michael Braden's DVD has a lot of good information as well.

Griv's is very technical and leans heavily toward the spot shooter, but I'd highly recommend it. Michael's may be a better choice for a shooter getting started in 3-d. Either one is a good choice-the best choice would be get both. The information in both is very well thought out and presented.