You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: what bow size?

Default what bow size?

Hope this isnt too long. Im fairly new to archery and am trying to get started right so any advice will be helpful. Ive shot before but right handed ( im left handed and thats the way i want to go). Im 5'9" and can pull the 60#easy. My draw is 28.5. Now for the questions- are the 35-36" bows going to be to long for me? I know brace height is important in the forgivingness of any particular bow but have read short draw shooters have an advantage in this department, is that true or should i stick with the longer brace hight? as others have stated 200 dollars isnt going to get much and shooting from the left there isnt alot of bows to try at the shop or shoots so Im trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. I know bows are like guns or boats and everybody has a strong opinion of what they are using so mabey yall can steer me in the righ direction. the three ive narrowed it down to ( but that can change) are browning rage one (long brace height but a 36" bow) the pse proseries triton (a 32" bow but a close out price) and the hoyt reflex highlander ( a little shorter brace height but still a 36" bow). sorry for the length. ready for the help though so thanks in advance.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by castaway View Post
    Hope this isnt too long. Im fairly new to archery and am trying to get started right so any advice will be helpful. Ive shot before but right handed ( im left handed and thats the way i want to go). Im 5'9" and can pull the 60#easy. My draw is 28.5. Now for the questions- are the 35-36" bows going to be to long for me? I know brace height is important in the forgivingness of any particular bow but have read short draw shooters have an advantage in this department, is that true or should i stick with the longer brace hight? as others have stated 200 dollars isnt going to get much and shooting from the left there isnt alot of bows to try at the shop or shoots so Im trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. I know bows are like guns or boats and everybody has a strong opinion of what they are using so mabey yall can steer me in the righ direction. the three ive narrowed it down to ( but that can change) are browning rage one (long brace height but a 36" bow) the pse proseries triton (a 32" bow but a close out price) and the hoyt reflex highlander ( a little shorter brace height but still a 36" bow). sorry for the length. ready for the help though so thanks in advance.
    Morning... think you might be a little confused with some of the new "toys".

Brace Height has nothing to do with draw length. Its the distance from where the string sits while idle to the riser.

A2A has nothing to do with draw length, I have a 37 1/2 inch A2A bow at 30 inch DL and a 31 inch A2A bow at 30 inch DL.

Your looking to keep it under 200.00? BUY USED!!!!!!!!!! You can get some real good line bows from 3 - 4 years ago for that price that will outperform the low end bows of today easily.
    No I'm not dead

Dredly thanks for the reply. first, I wasnt trying to tie brace hieght with draw lenght Ive read that longer brace is easier to shoot than shorter ones but that short draw people dont have as much trouble with short brace? is that true or not? Second, I was worried that the longer bows (overall lentgh) will be to big for me (at 5'9' tall) and last im not trying to get into this with only $200

Site Guru

Dredly thanks for the reply. first, I wasnt trying to tie brace hieght with draw lenght Ive read that longer brace is easier to shoot than shorter ones but that short draw people dont have as much trouble with short brace? is that true or not? Second, I was worried that the longer bows (overall lentgh) will be to big for me (at 5'9' tall) and last im not trying to get into this with only $200

Well it would make a little bit of sense that short draw people would have less trouble with shorter brace heights since a long draw archer has to hold the bow steady for a longer period of time... but I really wouldn't think the difference would be overly signfigant. I wouldn't go with anything under 7 inches brace height.

As for the A2A being to long, it is definately something you need to consider. at 5"9 your not "short" but some of the longer bows could definately cause problems. I have 2 friends that are very close to your size, when they were looking I let them hold my Old Glory, both agreed it was WAY to big to use comfortably, They are both shooting sub 34 inch A2A bows and agree that much bigger would be very diffuclt to use for hunting situations, especially shooting from their knees or sitting position.

Sorry about the 200.00 thought you said you wanted to keep it under that price.

and welcome to shooting from the CORRECT side of the bow, and good luck finding stuff to go with it, haha
    No I'm not dead

hey thanks for the input. I guess the hot thing right now is the bowtech tomcat. I have been stearing away from that short of a bow with bieng a beginner and all but the local shop owner said its really not that bad to shoot. but he has been doing it for a long time. ill let ya know what i come up with when i finally pull the trigger.

Site Guru

hey thanks for the input. I guess the hot thing right now is the bowtech tomcat. I have been stearing away from that short of a bow with bieng a beginner and all but the local shop owner said its really not that bad to shoot. but he has been doing it for a long time. ill let ya know what i come up with when i finally pull the trigger.
    Personally, if you are going to do absolutely nothing but hunt and the very occasional 3d shoot then the Tomcat may be okay, I would still strongly suggest a 33 - 34 inch A2A as the range you want to look in, especially for a first bow. Very short a2a bows are nice for stalking and tree stand hunting, however they lose those benefits when target shooting.

I would say go shoot both and compare them side by side, I'm willing to be as a new shooter you'll pick the Allegiance w/ the smooth cams over the Tomcat.
    No I'm not dead