You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Cool Picture

Default Cool Picture

This is a picture from a fun shoot this weekend. (no trophies)

Our group rolled up on this setup.

estimated 37 yards.

Everyone layed up, I went last

I was extremely lucky to sneak that in there. the picture is pretty dang cool though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW that is crazy cool shot.

Sorry I know its just for fun but I sure hate wasting a $10 arrow or higher to try to make a shot like that Just don't see the point of it not that I haven't shot a similiar shot to that before just to see if I could do it
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Of course it doesnt make sense if you stop and THINK about it.

Thankfully the arrow was gone before I got a chance to weigh the potential risk / liability in $$$ should it not hit its mark.

I'd rather blow an arrow up trying, than to keep it in my quiver and wonder if I could have.

Steve we both know why the shooter tries the shot I just don't like to see ranges setup those kind of shots but thats my own opinion.
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

thoes kind of shots are fun

But when we are really putting these shoots to train hunters how and when to make a good shot on a critter.

the guy that may get a arrow through and hut the target will remember thatwhen a live critter is in his sights and may take the shot and wound the critter

just think about the real reason we do this

I love shots like that and always have a junk arrow or cheep arrow that almosts flies straight for those shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mobowdoctor View Post
    thoes kind of shots are fun

But when we are really putting these shoots to train hunters how and when to make a good shot on a critter.

the guy that may get a arrow through and hut the target will remember thatwhen a live critter is in his sights and may take the shot and wound the critter

just think about the real reason we do this
    Other than the shape of the target, shooting 3-d and killing an animal have nothing in common.

The same argument could be made for kill zone placement on the 3d being far less than educationally perfect and shot distance encouraging hunters to try shots outside of their ability.

In the end 3-d is a game. It helps hone yardage estimation, shooting under pressure, picking spots etc. and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

That said, if an archer walks away from a shot like the above with the inclination that a score on a low percentage shot justifies an attempt at similar on a live animal then they have a trememndous amount yet to learn.

Default Youth remember

Quote Originally Posted by stevejo@work View Post
    Other than the shape of the target, shooting 3-d and killing an animal have nothing in common.

The same argument could be made for kill zone placement on the 3d being far less than educationally perfect and shot distance encouraging hunters to try shots outside of their ability.

In the end 3-d is a game. It helps hone yardage estimation, shooting under pressure, picking spots etc. and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

That said, if an archer walks away from a shot like the above with the inclination that a score on a low percentage shot justifies an attempt at similar on a live animal then they have a trememndous amount yet to learn.

Garantee youth remember those shots when it comes time to hunt. They remember I got that arrow through and when that shot is in the woods is given they may chance it. I have shot more than my fair share of shots like over the years. Arrows cost to much today. But I still shoot those steel targets with holes and often waste an arrow on a miss.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers