You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default Broadheads shooting low

    I shoot Gold tip mechanical broadheads, and I noticed that they shoot about 3 inches lower than my field points. Both are 100 grain tips. I have heard that fixed blade broadheads shoot differently, but thought that the mechanical were supposed to shoot similarly to field points. Are there any broadheads out there that shoot the same as the field points? I hate to keep changing my sights for each tip. The field points are Gold tip for carbon arrows. Any suggestions of combinations would be appreciated.
    Hoyt Ultramag; XT 2000; Whisker Biscuit; Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix; Cam & 1/2; Limb Saver; Tru Ball; Gold Tip Hunter 5575;

  2. #2
    Senior Member diamond-vic.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    170

    Default

    sonic broad heads by american broadhead company, ther amazing
    Diamond Victory 29"/55#
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

    People Eating Tasty Animals

    Remember, a Diamond lasts forever!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    try to lower your nock point, or string loop whatever you have, First thing i would do is make sure your arrows are properly spined for what your doing, and also make sure your bow is tuned good. Id do this stuff before spending money on new heads. Some guys just work and work at broadheads and still cant get them to fly the same, mine start to drop off a bit at about 50 yards vrs my feild points. so i need to move my pins down a bit.... any one else have any ideas here??

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    I have been shooting 85grn NAP Spitfires (Mech) and have had no issues from them. They fly exactly as my field points. But what fly’s well on my bow doesn’t mean it will fly as well on yours.

    I wouldn't go out and buy new broad-heads, unless you plan on doing recreational shooting during hunting season with the same bow.

  5. #5
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    I have been shooting 85grn NAP Spitfires (Mech) and have had no issues from them. They fly exactly as my field points. But what fly’s well on my bow doesn’t mean it will fly as well on yours.

    I wouldn't go out and buy new broad-heads, unless you plan on doing recreational shooting during hunting season with the same bow.
    just curious... are they GROUPING 3 inches low? are you sure they weigh the same as your fieldpoints? Are you using field points or match points that may be much longer or shorter? Do they match the arrow the same? (are the field tips smaller diamater wise?

    It could be a lot of things... also is this 20 yards or 30? 40?

    ps: I don't think Gold Tip makes broadheads or Field Points...
    No I'm not dead

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    just curious... are they GROUPING 3 inches low? are you sure they weigh the same as your fieldpoints? Are you using field points or match points that may be much longer or shorter? Do they match the arrow the same? (are the field tips smaller diamater wise?

    It could be a lot of things... also is this 20 yards or 30? 40?

    ps: I don't think Gold Tip makes broadheads or Field Points...
    Yea... Gold Tip makes broadheads:
    http://www.aimtru.com/the-gold-tip-g...xidp87674.html

  7. #7
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    hmm never saw those before. Are they made by the same company that makes Gold Tip arrows?
    No I'm not dead

  8. #8
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,882

    Default

    If their Broadheads are shipping like their arrows you will probably not get them before season.


    "HONDA"

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    The bow has been tuned, and the tips are both made by Gold Tip. The broadheads are called "Gladiators," and they are mechanical. The broadheads are 85 grains without the added bleeder blades, but they all have them installed, which makes them 100 grains. The groupings are very tight with the 100 gr. practice tips (right on the money), and when I shoot the broadheads, they shoot 3-4 inches low consistently (in good groups, as well). The field tips are 3/4" long, and the broadheads are almost 2" long. I don't know if this makes a difference, but they are the same weight. I went ahead and adjusted my sights to accommodate the broadheads, and they are shooting on target (didn't want to try and get a different set before hunting season, which starts 9/15). So, next year I might try a different combo. I've been thinking of trying some Montec G5's with fixed 4 blade.
    Hoyt Ultramag; XT 2000; Whisker Biscuit; Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix; Cam & 1/2; Limb Saver; Tru Ball; Gold Tip Hunter 5575;

  10. #10
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by radtuck View Post
    The bow has been tuned, and the tips are both made by Gold Tip. The broadheads are called "Gladiators," and they are mechanical. The broadheads are 85 grains without the added bleeder blades, but they all have them installed, which makes them 100 grains. The groupings are very tight with the 100 gr. practice tips (right on the money), and when I shoot the broadheads, they shoot 3-4 inches low consistently (in good groups, as well). The field tips are 3/4" long, and the broadheads are almost 2" long. I don't know if this makes a difference, but they are the same weight. I went ahead and adjusted my sights to accommodate the broadheads, and they are shooting on target (didn't want to try and get a different set before hunting season, which starts 9/15). So, next year I might try a different combo. I've been thinking of trying some Montec G5's with fixed 4 blade.
    Not sure? I would say it may be a spine issue at this point but I'm just guessing, sorry I can't be of more help
    No I'm not dead

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I think I forgot to mention a few things. The arrows are Gold Tip hunter 5575, and the draw weight is 60 lbs. I am shooting 29" arrows with a 28.5" draw. I practiced at both 20 and 30 yards with the same result. I broke 3 of my broadheads practicing, but have them shooting well now that I have changed the sights. Guess I'll just have to adjust the sights back when I change to practice points. Thanks for all of the responses, though. You guys are great!!
    Hoyt Ultramag; XT 2000; Whisker Biscuit; Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix; Cam & 1/2; Limb Saver; Tru Ball; Gold Tip Hunter 5575;

  12. #12
    Site Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Saylorsburg PA
    Posts
    4,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by radtuck View Post
    I think I forgot to mention a few things. The arrows are Gold Tip hunter 5575, and the draw weight is 60 lbs. I am shooting 29" arrows with a 28.5" draw. I practiced at both 20 and 30 yards with the same result. I broke 3 of my broadheads practicing, but have them shooting well now that I have changed the sights. Guess I'll just have to adjust the sights back when I change to practice points. Thanks for all of the responses, though. You guys are great!!
    It could be because your shooting a hoyt?
    No I'm not dead

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Middletown, Pa
    Posts
    813

    Default

    I'm going to plug in some info here even though your opener is just a couple days away. Something to think of later.

    Although you don't give enough specifics about bow weight, drawlength and arrow length I don't hink you have a spine issue unless it's a minor one. Normally underspined arrows won't group well with broadheads. But with mechanicals it coule be a different story. If it is a spine issue then it's should be real easy to fix. Just turn the limb bolts, reducing the weight on the bow a little. If this helps then you know it's spine related and can take appropriate action---like leave it there. It's cheaper than new arrows.

    I don't think it's an FOC matter. Because of the broadhead being longer does change it some, but it is very minor for shooting any reasonable hunting distances. I just don't think you'd see the difference in a couple
    10ths of a percent till you start shooting out around 40-50 yards.

    You say your bows is tuned, but to what degree? Paper tuned with field points? That's just rough tuning. When you have this done then it's time to tune for broadheads. Easton's Tuning Guide is good for explaining how to do this. I would say that you need to lower your nocking point a smidge and/or raise the rest accordingly to get both type of tips to hit the same point of impact.

    I'm not a great fan of paper tuning. Sure it can show you if you have rest contact and how the arrow is leaving the bow, but that's at a couple feet. And shooting paper at much over 20 feet means very little because your fletching is taking hold by then. So although paper tells you how the arrow is leaving the bow it does not tell you what's going on down range, and that's where it's important.

Similar Threads

  1. shooting broadheads
    By jkg3117 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 12:14 AM
  2. Broadheads
    By Michael_Swisher in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
  3. Broadheads Ft
    By cape buffalo in forum WTB: Want to Buy Archery Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 12:24 AM
  4. Broadheads shooting low?
    By ILhunter16 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
  5. Which broadheads are you shooting this year?
    By bow-regard in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •