You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Climber Vs. Lock-On?

I'm getting ready to purchase a stand that I'm going to be bowhunting out of this upcoming season. I can't decide between a climber and a lock-on with climbing sticks.

Which one is easiest to shoot a compound bow out of? What are some pros and cons of each?

I find climbers easier to attach and get up the tree. However, your deciding factor should be the type of trees in your area. If most of the trees have limbs that would prohibit a climber then the choice would be obviously a hang-on.

Hang-ons are more versatile in that they can be used on trees with or without limbs. You are limited to the height you can climb by the sticks or ladder. You can istall several hang-ons and alter sites using just the one set of sticks.

Personally, I'd suggest a climber. Something like a Summit Viper. I like the sit-n-climb feature with the bar in front and it gives a certain amount of assurance that you won't fall out of the stand. The bar can be a bow rack when you're sitting and something to press a knee against when standing.

In case you don't know it you're going to end up like the rest of us sooner or later. You'll have one or two climbers and several hang-0ns.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Check out the Ambush Saddle before you decide. I use several lock on stands that remain where I put them throughout the season, and the Ambush Saddle everywhere else. John Eberhart's web sight, deer-john.net, has good info and suggestions on the Ambush Saddle. His books are a good read, also.

I would suggest you think about who has access to the property you hunt. If you hunting state game lands or property that has a lot of hunter traffic, go with the climber. I know we don't like to think negatively of our fellow hunter, but the fact remains some will or attempt to steal you stand if left there. I've had two stolen and I wasn't to happy about it.

I have two climber, two hang on's, and one ladder. The climbers are great if your hunting a new piece of property or one that has a lot of foot traffic with other hunters. But as stated above they will not work on every tree, and sometimes will make noise if not properly secured when you pack them in or out.

The hang on's and ladder I really like. I just walk into the woods, climb my ladder and get situated (sp). But they don't afford you the mobility of a climber.

These are just my thoughts and good luck with your purchase

Thanks to everyone for giving me great advice.

I'm used to hunting in simple wooden latter stands. I'm not really worried about someone stealing my stand as I hunt leased land, but mobility is nice.

I think I'm gonna go with a climber for right now as it seems more versatile. If I had 2 or 3 lock-ons that would be great, but if I'm going only going to have 1 stand for know I think I'll get a climber

jim

I've got climbers, fixed and hang on's. By far the most comfortable and (my opinion) safest feeling is my Summit Bullet climber. It's a sit & climb stand that compacts down in size. Basically like a Viper except it packs down. As far as ease of climbing - the sit & climb method can't be beaten. I would recommend the use of climbing stirrups even though they are a bit pricy, the ease of getting ready to decend the tree is worth it.
    As far as a fixed (built to the tree) stand - I don't recommend them due to a false sense of security. If your going to use them, maintain them.
    Hang on's are something that you'll find take some getting use to as far as ease of setting up. Even with practice, you will have some trees where you just can't set a stand just like you would like it. Sometimes you may have to go a bit lower or higher or forget that tree and find another one. The same holds true as far as a climbing stick. I have found I prefer the LW climbing sticks. I use 4 - 3' sections. With these and the use a any limbs available - if I can't get between 16 - 18' up .... I have no business going higher. They are pricy though - you can get a decent climbing stick that will most likely serve you well for half the price. With any climbing stick or sticks - you will eventually figure out how to haul up the extra straps or sections as you assend the tree. Always use a climbing belt when installing sticks & stands. Always use a safety belt once in or on a stand. This is a whole other story that you will have to decide which is best for you.
    As far as theft - if they want it, there going to either get it or destroy it. Remember, public hunting prohibits permenate stands, nails, screw in steps or anything that can damage the tree (bark).
    I prefer shooting from a hang on stand even though with the shorter compounds you generally won't have a problem with a sit & climb stand. If your worried about your bow limb hitting the stand, you stand a chance of blowing the shot.
    There are several good stands (both climbers & fixed) on the market. My climber is a Summit, my hang on is a Loggy Bayou predator pro, my climbing sticks are Lone Wolf. My safety & climbing belt is a combination of Summit & Loggy Bayou.
    One stand I haven't had many dealing with is a ladder stand. I can see where they can be the answer for many. I have helped my buddy put his up. It takes both of us and can be noisy along with being a chore threading it through the lower branches of surrounding trees.
    Hope this helps answer some of your questions

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Personally, I'd suggest a climber. Something like a Summit Viper. I like the sit-n-climb feature with the bar in front and it gives a certain amount of assurance that you won't fall out of the stand. The bar can be a bow rack when you're sitting and something to press a knee against when standing.
    I could have written that myself. I also like the mobility of a climber.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus