You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Any Thoughts on Hunting Arrows???

I'm finaly going to buy a new bow. Haven't decided on which one yet but it will be something short light and fast set between 65 and 70 lbs. I shot Easton XX78 2114 of my old 1993 Martin Pantera. They served me well for many years and harvested many deer. Now with a shorter, lighter faster bow I'm thinking carbon. I have been considering Easton A/C/C's or Gold Tip CAA's. I know they both are carbon/alloy not straight up carbon. I'm thinking I want to end up somewhere between 385gr and 420gr for a 28" with a 100gr Rage Broadhead. Any one have any advice or word of wisdom?

Default Goldtip CAA

GT CAA are no longer offered from Goldtip. They just didnt have enough sales. Most have found for hunting that a all carbon arrow is just as well.

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default All carbon for me

I've shot Carbon Express Terminator Light Hunters for about a year, and I'm pleased with them. I don't know what you gain with a carbon/aluminum arrow; what you gain in mass you might lose in speed. So the KE might be about the same as a lighter, faster arrow.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I like a arrow for hunting to be on the heavier side so I'd be looking for something that would put you on the heavy end of your range. I'm at 6.6gr/# of draw weight and I'm happy with that performance on deer so far.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    GT CAA are no longer offered from Goldtip. They just didnt have enough sales. Most have found for hunting that a all carbon arrow is just as well.

DB
    I knew that GT stopped producing the CAA arrow. I can still find them uncut and unfletched though. What do you think of the arrow? It's 8.7gains/" and .277" od @ 400 spine.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR128 View Post
    I knew that GT stopped producing the CAA arrow. I can still find them uncut and unfletched though. What do you think of the arrow? It's 8.7gains/" and .277" od @ 400 spine.
    The C/A/A was a good arrow... I still have some in my arrow barrel... I/'m a big fan of the composite arrows the best of both worlds.. consistent spine and weight of aluminum and toughness of carbon..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

How about Victory Arrows. The V-Force 400s are 8.1 grains/in. Has anyone hunted with them?
    The V-Force HVs seem too light to me at 6.4 gr/in for 350 and 6.1gr/in for 400. They would scream off the bow and fly fast but downrange penetration must suffer at those weights.

For me I like Eastons ST Axis.
    They work great for slaughtering those pesty little spots running around my range.

Quote Originally Posted by stites08 View Post
    For me I like Eastons ST Axis.
    They work great for slaughtering those pesty little spots running around my range.
    ive found they work well for slaughering everything. i bought some fmj axis today for $6 an arrow off one of my buddies

I've used Victory Vforce HV 300's at 346 grains and 290 fps, Carbon Express Terminator Lt. Selects at 400 grains and 275 fps and Carbon Express Cx 300's at 370 grains at 285 fps. They all have passed through whitetails out to 30 yards, no problem. I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix at 63# with a 29 1/2 " draw. I can see no differance with the naked eye in the penetration out to 50 yards in a new foam layered target. So far, I prefer the lighter, faster arrows out to 50 yards. The most important factor in penetration is shot placement. The less time the deer has to move after the shot, the more likely the arrow is to hit the vitals. Year round practice from my backyard treestand has been the biggest factor in my improved shot placement and subsequent passthroughs, not my arrow choice. My bow still tunes well with all these spines. I group the same with the Hv 350's I just got, as I do with the Hv 300's. The Vforce Hv 350's come in at 325 grains and 297 fps. I haven't shot a deer with the Hv 350's yet, but I plan to this year. I like to keep my arrows at 5 grains per # of draw weight, or greater. I've used 100 grain Thunderheads, Atom's, and Rage 2 blades. They all pass through the deer just fine when shot through the vitals.

I absolutley love the small diameter thick walled carbon arrows...the axis 400's are what I use and will continue to use as long as they keep performing so well for me. They are super tough and a quality arrow..
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZR128 View Post
    How about Victory Arrows. The V-Force 400s are 8.1 grains/in. Has anyone hunted with them?
    The V-Force HVs seem too light to me at 6.4 gr/in for 350 and 6.1gr/in for 400. They would scream off the bow and fly fast but downrange penetration must suffer at those weights.
    The V-Force are great arrows.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Take a look at the Easton FM or the The Axis small diameters arrow for hunting. They are awesome for hunting and the penetration is really unbelievable. I have some of the older Axis and been shooting them for three year how out of my hunting bow. They just blow through every thing and I just resharpen and go shoot another one. I just can't seem to brake them are lose them. Last fall setting up my hunting bow I was shooting a 2 inch group at 50 yards with my 100 gr, Montecs broadheads and they were ever forgiving. Easton really done there home work on the Axis and came up with a one of the best hunting arrow I had ever used in the 45 years of hunting. I can remember taking to Jay Barns years ago at a archery show when I was on there staff about small diameter carbon arrows, less oscillation factor and down range ke and momentum for penetration on game and they where playing with it then. They came up with the Axis arrow a awesome shooting arrow for hunting.

Smile

I seen some really great pricing on the Victory V Force here in the classifieds.....

Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

For deer, any of these suggested arrows would be sufficient.
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja