You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question How do you pratice for 3D?

I'm not talking about just slinging arrows here.
    I mean specificaly, what is it that you do to hone your skills for the 3D range?
    After todays shoot I realized that I had to refine my "yardage estimation skills" for starters.
    So, what is you do and why?

Quote Originally Posted by stites08 View Post
    I'm not talking about just slinging arrows here.
    I mean specificaly, what is it that you do to hone your skills for the 3D range?
    After todays shoot I realized that I had to refine my "yardage estimation skills" for starters.
    So, what is you do and why?
    If I told you I would have to kill you.

Just kidding.
    I judge alot more than I shoot. I carry a note book so I can write down every target and situation.
    First off I right down the time of day, date, what range and the weather ( cloudy or bright).
    Then I make 6 columns on the note book.
    1st column I write what animal it is.
    2nd column I write down what I sight judge it at.
    3rd column I write down what I ground judge it at.
    4th column I write down what my final decision is.
    5th column I write down the actuall distance and how far I missed it. Lets say I judge it for 43 yds. Then I range find it at 42 yds. I write in the 42 +1. This means I over judged it 1 yd. Same goes if I under judge it 1 yard I write down 42 -1.
    6th column I write down the scenario. Dark tunnel with ground taken away etc.
    Then at the top of the page I write down how many yards I was off over how many targets I judged all in fraction form.

You dont have to do it exactly like I do. You may judge differently than I do. Keeping track of your notes like this will help you realize how you judge certain animals in different scenarios.
    I know I usually judge the wart Hog low by 2 yards so most generally I add 1-2 yards every time but I take off yardage on the black bear. By keeping track of these notes I come to realize how I judge certain animal and different scenarios.
    Sorry for the book but I hope this helps you.
    Jame Jamison

Jame,
    I understand what you mean when you said "sight judge" but isn't "ground judge" the same thing???

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by stites08 View Post
    Jame,
    I understand what you mean when you said "sight judge" but isn't "ground judge" the same thing???

Bob
    No. What I mean by sight judging is looking at the target and getting you distance. Animal size and like some of us depth perception.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    No. What I mean by sight judging is looking at the target and getting you distance. Animal size and like some of us depth perception.
    I feel sight judging may be the best way to shoot 3d targets. Often you dont have ground. Judging yardage is a constant and mandatory to be good at 3d. If you dont have targets then judge the bushes and trees or any object. But seeing the targets is best. Actually more judging and less shooting in my opionion.
    DB

We will shoot a range today and then walk back and judge them. Gives us an idea of what we missed and why it fooled us.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

That's great info Jame, thank you.

Keeping a journal like the one Jamie outlined is paramount if you expect to get better whether it be judging yardage or training to improve your shooting skill…
    Having a complete set of the targets to memorize is essential to wining on the national level. But it isn’t just sight judging it is scoring ring placement and knowing the subtle reference points…
    There are as many ways to judge distance, as there are distances… but outside of target recognition I like to practice judging distance everywhere I go.. I carry my journal and my rangefinder with me on the road and stop occasionally to take a break and judge a few distances.. I learn at what distance I can see the detail of the bark on a white oak tree, any reference that I can find.. learn what 5 yards looks like at 50 yards when you are looking up and down hill… Spend at least twice as much practice time judging as you do shooting.. And it helps to have a friend along to make it a game... put some money on it even if it's only a dime a target..
    Another one that might help some of y’all this coming weekend is… Planted pines are 10 yards apart…
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Great inforrmation everyone thank you.

hi there.i find great suggestion from here.which is really helpful for me.
    "Alpine Archery And Sport offers archery supplies
    alpinearcheryandsport.com

Not to brag, but I have an uncanny ability to just look at an animal from the shooting stake or close by and a number pops into my head. Most times I'm within 2 yards out to around 45 yards. 50 gets a little iffy.

Like just yesterday, I was shooting with a buddy. 30 target course and I was pretty well on all day. We had one target, a Russian Boar that my buddy looked at and said, "36 yards". I looked and said, "You better dig out the range finder. It's more like 44 yards". Well, having just "totaled" an arrow on the target before he dug out the range finder, took a look, and said,
    "How the hell do you do that?" (Right on 44).

Now, if I could get rid of this lousy target panic, get contacts, and aim I'd shoot a lot more 10's.

Don't get me wrong. Every once in a while I really screw one up, but not often.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver