You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads

Old Archer

Thumbs up Broadheads

A subject that gets hammered every year at this time.Being someone inolved in archery for almost 47years, I feel obligated to speak up for those that may not have so much experience. It was not to long ago that a quality pack of (6) broadheads could be had for twenty bucks. It seems most companys are selling only three heads in a pack today for $40.00 or more. There are probably only a few worth that cost.
    Computer Added Design (CAD) CNC machining, and a special mix of alloys to make a superior product can run the cost up. However just because a company pays big dollars for all the well knowns of present day to come out of the wood work and boost about the product does not make it the best choice. There is a tendency to forget about bow tuning and buy what flys good on your buddies bow. The companys out there are capitalizing on our own lazyness to learn our equipment, practice hard with it. And then doing all we can to acheive good arrow flight. When you have time google up Walk Back Tuning for FP's and BH"S. The reading you will find by folks like Curt Wells will help anyone achieve good arrow flight. I would submit to you that I can take any Broadhead out there and achieve very good shooting results.
    Sometimes different spines or vane profiles, have to change. You cannot expect to put blazer vanes on any shaft with any BH and expect good results.
    These is why the mechanical market has blossomed in the last 8 to 10 years.
    The manufactures can acheive decent arrow flight on almost any set up because of the high arrow dynamic designis. I beleive that a quiet bow and an arrow with good straight flight no wobbles or fishtails will create good clean kills. And thats what any good sportsman or woman should be looking for. If you have been Hunting for Twenty or more years, ask yourself why you are nor using some of the things you used years ago. I would agrue that
    three heads out there have taken more deer than any mechanical. Thunderhead by NAP, MuzzyTM, and Bear Razorheads. These are still good heads today but take a little extra tuning with our fast bows we all enjoy today. Think about it all and remember your better bow kills, what was the total arrow weight. What kind of KE did you acheive, most likely your arrows
    with good arrow flight and great killing energy were in the range of 450 to 500+ grains. Speed is a good thing, but straight quiet, complete pass thru is better in my book. I wrote this as an aide to the many of the young guys that
    are trying to tweek in that new bow, and by now are getting a little frustrated. P.S. I remember an Old freind who loved the results of a certain head that had a lot of very sharp long razor edged surface to it. He enjoyed the great bloodtrails and short tracks to find his harvest. He flectched his shafts withfour five inch feathers to achieve perfect arrow flight, and took several Bull Elk with that set up! Good to Luck to All!
    Last edited by grizz49; 07-27-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Good post

Very well said.

Lots of broadheads out there and if tuned right they work.

Its all about each archer taking the time to get the bow tuned and the archer.

Placement in hunting is the main key!
    D
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Old Archer

Smile BroadHeads

DB,

I have read many of your posts, I thought you might ring in and agree!
    The rewards of Big Bucks $$$ I guess, will make even sacred Archery Cows say things that they most likely are not in 100% agremeent to.

I'm with some of you "ol timers" on this.. ...some of theses new trendy "boutique" broadheads as I like to call them are just downright stupid...due to the marketing folks, they have been all colored up with neat designs and shapes and seem to ignore function alltogether..its just rediculous. A simple, well made, field proven, quality fixed head is always going to be the benchmark of reliability. Now, where I guess I dont agree is when some of the folks in the "old school" pontificate that you simply cant take a 300+lb deer with any arrow weighing under 450 gns. These new bows today dont require a super heavy arrow to shoot great, hard or shoot quietly like the old vertical limb bows. The efficiency is 100x's better now than 15-20 yrs ago and therefore we can do way more with less. I understand the momentum aspect and the forgiveness aspect, but a 475-500+ gn arrow for whitetail deer is borderline dead weight imo and not a needed requirement in todays archery equipment. You can make your arguments both ways but like I always say, I dont care what your arrow weighs, if you cant put it in the boiler room it wont really matter will it.?
    Last edited by hunter2678; 07-28-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

....yup...on the hitting the boiler room comment. Beyond that it does'nt much matter. I have arrows from 300 to 575 grains ready to go from different bows. Whatever works for you and hit's the spot. Accuracy and sharpness have always ruled.
    Last edited by red44; 07-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    FBSA Member

Old Archer

Talking You Got It!

Boutique Broadheads, Please give permission so I can reuse this. Oh! Mr. Adams your pretty Boutique Broadheads are ready!

you got my permission grizz...even though your from that state up north...

I agree somewhat,sure your bow should be tuned well, and if it is i dont see a problem in using mechs,use what you want,I think they got a bad rap for giving new archers the lazy way out.But some of the mechs are just so nasty looking and do a great job no reason not to use them.
    Also prices have sky rocketed,but if your willin to pay 1000.00 dollars for a bow,why would you not pay up to $50 bucks for some killer well made, in the USA broadheads.............
    2010 PSE AXE 7

For a mech head I like the Tekan II's and the Rage 2 blade myself due to the simple design and deployment method.....however have yet to put either through a deer...

Old Archer

Default Broadheads

Hey,

Hunter2678, I would never kick a Buckeye when he is down! just kiddin.. The Tekans are a very good head, and made right here in the great Lakes State where it all started.., as far as another head mentioned, the judgement I think is still out on all components are made here or Over well other than USA..

Yup, I like the K.I.S.S. method myself.
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

Quote Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
    Hey,

Hunter2678, I would never kick a Buckeye when he is down! just kiddin.. The Tekans are a very good head, and made right here in the great Lakes State where it all started.., as far as another head mentioned, the judgement I think is still out on all components are made here or Over well other than USA..
    Well in that case I'm sellin my Tekans...... ..I'd rather buy Foreign!!

Grizz and DB said it well.
    When I started hunting i was very concerned about what Bh to use, arrow weight and so on. My father in law took me under his wing and told me to forget about all of that for now and just become proficient at shooting. He told me that you could have the best bow, broadheads in the world and it is all useless next to the ability to shoot. He was right. He has been hunting for 30 years and knows what he likes to shoot. I have been hunting for two years and tried both mech and fixed heads but in the end i think that the reason I have had success is that I shoot my bow once a week minimum. To create a cooler looking head but lose function is pointless and I have to agree that some companies do just that. If you are willing to put in the time to learn to tune and shoot a bow what head you use maters little. If you are not willing to work on this skill then no mater of technology will consistently put meat in the fridge.

Shot many deer and pigs with expandables. many clean shoot thru in the rib cage at about 280 fps with 350 gr. seems the thin blades flex when hitting rib bones and then open back up. does extreme damage. however at 260 fps same set up at 60 lbs wasn't getting very many shoot thru's . pigs are definately thicker skinned than deer. I would reccomend expandables only be shot at 280 up on pigs. 260 on deer. Just my opinion! I definately agree with above notes shot placement & razor sharp is the main key.

I have not checked out all the mechanical broadheads out there but someone showed me one that does not open until blades has passed by the entry part of flesh. I am not sure why one design a head like this? If you do not get a pass through for what ever reason then all you have is a pen hole for blood to leak from.

Can someone tell me if I am off base with this thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
    I have not checked out all the mechanical broadheads out there but someone showed me one that does not open until blades has passed by the entry part of flesh. I am not sure why one design a head like this? If you do not get a pass through for what ever reason then all you have is a pen hole for blood to leak from.

Can someone tell me if I am off base with this thought process.
    I would have to agree , I wouldn't shoot that broadhead for that reason unless someone could prove to me it would pass thru every time (unlikely) Merle at TEXAS S pig ranch has seen more kills with a bow than anyone I ever met ( avg 5 hunters a day ,year round killing a pig a day each. VERY TOUCHY about wounding pigs and not recovering them! He was comfortable with most of the expandables 1' 1/2 or smaller WITH reasonable poundage. 50 lbs he liked to see some of the smaller fixed blades,

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha Nock Jim View Post
    I would have to agree , I wouldn't shoot that broadhead for that reason unless someone could prove to me it would pass thru every time (unlikely) Merle at TEXAS S pig ranch has seen more kills with a bow than anyone I ever met ( avg 5 hunters a day ,year round killing a pig a day each. VERY TOUCHY about wounding pigs and not recovering them! He was comfortable with most of the expandables 1' 1/2 or smaller WITH reasonable poundage. 50 lbs he liked to see some of the smaller fixed blades,
    By the way these guys (Merle and his guides) were REAL partial to the steel force 2 blade for pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha Nock Jim View Post
    By the way these guys (Merle and his guides) were REAL partial to the steel force 2 blade for pigs.
    You mean those FatHeads?...those things are nasty!!

Glad to see this post. I almost got caught up in changing heads and for no good reason.
    When I was taught, no so long ago, he who taught used Muzzys. I haven't wavered from there yet. They hit on the spot for me. So why would I change to a Boutique broadhead ? Broadheads - Bowhunting forum
    Mathews Drenalin 65lbs, Muzzys, Vortex Binos, ,Bushnell Bow Hunter, Equalizer tree stand
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked !!.

I hate the cost of the 40$ heads. I will still shoot them tho
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake