You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadheads

Getting back into bowhunting this fall after about 15 years.....Picked up a Bowtech Sniper and OMG!! has the equipment ever improved!!!
    Anyways, I was trying to figure which heads to use and after reading 100s of reviews and asking experienced folks for help I finaly decided to go with what has worked for you guys for a long time.

Goin with the Muzzy MX3s
    I'll let you know my results.

Dale

Old Archer

Thumbs up Broadhead Update!

Well I felt after 600+ arrows or so, the creep should be all gone from my string and the Reezen was ready to test fly two new heads. At least new to me anyhow. The Bow is at 65lbs, shooting a Beman MFX 340 at 29" w/2' BLAZER VANES. The first up was the improved Tekan head bY G5. The same arrow shot 5 times at 20 yards at a 2" orange sticker. Consistanly all 5 arrows shot a group 7" to the right of the sticker. This head has (four blade surfaces). Next up was the G5 Stricker 100grain, same arrow. Three out five arrows were only one inch right but still cutting the sticker. The other two were about 2" to the right, I think that was me a little tired and not steady. The shafts were test spun, with and without heads on to check for wobble. The only extra thing that was added was a easton broadhead bushing.

I think this was pretty good result for the G5 Stricker, shot right from the box with no real extra tuning. This weekend I will use the walk back method for both the FP's and BH's,. I hope the arrow flight stays good out to 50 yards!

I think most would agree that a inch or two off, not bad should be able to tune out and tweek in dead nuts. I'm glad Stricker won out, just never been a big fan of exspandables. Eight years outfitting folks I have seen a lot of unhappy guys that lost or missed the Trophy of a lifetime. I'm sure like the rest of our equipment that it is a confidence game. If you have faith and believe in it, it will work! I WILL UPDATE NEXT WEEK!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Grizz,

I had a very similar experience W/ the strikers 100 gr last year. It would shoot about one inch low at 20 yards and to me that is about as good as it gets. I took my buck with a striker last year and it passed right through even after hitting the shoulder on the far side of the deer. The blades were very beat up but none broke and the body/furrel of the head was strait. The stainless tip was still in good shape. They get my approval for what that's worth.

Default Meat Seekers!! (last years Undertakers)

As far as expandables Trophy Ridge Meat Seekers all the way!!!! great penetration, seem them go though shoulder bones on many occasions unfazed. arguably the best out there.

(x2) 2007 Guardians 70# @29in.
    GoldTip 5575
    Gateway Razor feathers
    Limb drivers, HHAs
    meanv supressor, TruBall

Quote Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
    Well I felt after 600+ arrows or so, the creep should be all gone from my string and the Reezen was ready to test fly two new heads. At least new to me anyhow. The Bow is at 65lbs, shooting a Beman MFX 340 at 29" w/2' BLAZER VANES. The first up was the improved Tekan head bY G5. The same arrow shot 5 times at 20 yards at a 2" orange sticker. Consistanly all 5 arrows shot a group 7" to the right of the sticker. This head has (four blade surfaces). Next up was the G5 Stricker 100grain, same arrow. Three out five arrows were only one inch right but still cutting the sticker. The other two were about 2" to the right, I think that was me a little tired and not steady. The shafts were test spun, with and without heads on to check for wobble. The only extra thing that was added was a easton broadhead bushing.

I think this was pretty good result for the G5 Stricker, shot right from the box with no real extra tuning. This weekend I will use the walk back method for both the FP's and BH's,. I hope the arrow flight stays good out to 50 yards!

I think most would agree that a inch or two off, not bad should be able to tune out and tweek in dead nuts. I'm glad Stricker won out, just never been a big fan of exspandables. Eight years outfitting folks I have seen a lot of unhappy guys that lost or missed the Trophy of a lifetime. I'm sure like the rest of our equipment that it is a confidence game. If you have faith and believe in it, it will work! I WILL UPDATE NEXT WEEK!
    Your tekans shot worse than your fixed blades?!..7 inches worse!?..WTF? Mine always shoot spot on with fp's out to any ydg..something dont sound right grizz...the nock on expandables has always been reliability but Ive never heard of any of them flying worse esp that much worse than fixed heads...
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

I have shot mech. BHs for years. However, last year I was having trouble with penetration with the Rage 2-blade and the Shockwave heads. Then I was introduced to the Tight Point Shuttle T-Locks in the middle of the season. I was able to harvest a nice 9 pointer and my first turkey. The deer was at 52 yards and the turkey was 56 yards away. I got a passthrough on the buck and and of course the turkey too. These heads shoot the exact same as my field points and are a strong head. Almost indestructable! I would definatley reccomend them to anyone looking for new head for deer or any other game for that matter. You better believe Tight Points will be on my hunting arrows come September 5 and hopefully through the big 8 that I've been hunting sinnce last year.

Old Archer

Red face Boutique Broadhaeads

Twenty five to thirty years ago, we hunted with very sharp, and very long bladed razor heads. We almost always had to have plenty of fletching to cancel out guidance adjustments that the broadhead would what to make because of air stream forces over the blade surfaces.

Now fast forward to today, and we have very fast bows and some broadheads that are really not all that streamlined! A rage 2 blade counting the tip has (6) edges sticking up above the ferule profile. I recently heard a story of a PSE pro staffers bow (X Force) I beleive set with very high poundage opened the rage head at the release of the arrow.

As stated before, you have to experiment to find what works for you, they all work. Most likely if you are willing to make shaft, fletch or poundage
    adjustments to your bow. However most will shoot a the head, that performs with similar accuracy to there FP's. To bad that the heads are not sold individually. Would make testing a whole lot cheaper. I remember a Shop in Northern Michigan that did just that, sold the brands they carried individually if you wanted to try something new. What a Novel idea!!!!!!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.