You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm shooting my TripleX Pros cut 1" in front of the rest with a 150 grain "pro-style" GoldTip point. I started with those arrows cut at 30" and also with a 200 grain point (against Hammer's advice....but I just HAD to try the longer things, haha).
    Those longer arrows and heavier points shot like crap out of my bow! I only have a 27 3/8" AMO drawlength and shoot only 47# peak weight out of my Merlin XV.

Once I got rid of over 3" of arrrow and brought the point weight down to 150 grains (as per Hammer's advice), those arrows started shooting great out of the bow. I don't "trust" paper tear, but they also run thru the paper nearly perfectly at all distances as well (for what that is worth, haha).

If I was trying to shoot the 2712 arrows, there is no way they would shoot this short or with this light of a point in them. In fact, I can just about put one of my ULPro 500's inside my XXX and the arrow would still weigh LESS than a 2712 with the 300 grain point in it!

My total arrow weight with the GT XXX with the 150 grain points and 4" feathers is 423 grains. Why would I want to shoot a 600 grain arrow with a paper thin wall that will "bend" in a short time....? Oh, the XXX is shooting 227 fps out of my Merlin XV too, and I don't have to increase the poundage to get it to work.

field14

Jerry Whittington

filed ...there are some (including the Cleatus) that feel the xxx's shoot better with the 100 instead of the 150..... why...heck I don't know..I just know they do....

Quote Originally Posted by field14 View Post
    I'm shooting my TripleX Pros cut 1" in front of the rest with a 150 grain "pro-style" GoldTip point. I started with those arrows cut at 30" and also with a 200 grain point (against Hammer's advice....but I just HAD to try the longer things, haha).
    Those longer arrows and heavier points shot like crap out of my bow! I only have a 27 3/8" AMO drawlength and shoot only 47# peak weight out of my Merlin XV.

Once I got rid of over 3" of arrrow and brought the point weight down to 150 grains (as per Hammer's advice), those arrows started shooting great out of the bow. I don't "trust" paper tear, but they also run thru the paper nearly perfectly at all distances as well (for what that is worth, haha).

If I was trying to shoot the 2712 arrows, there is no way they would shoot this short or with this light of a point in them. In fact, I can just about put one of my ULPro 500's inside my XXX and the arrow would still weigh LESS than a 2712 with the 300 grain point in it!

My total arrow weight with the GT XXX with the 150 grain points and 4" feathers is 423 grains. Why would I want to shoot a 600 grain arrow with a paper thin wall that will "bend" in a short time....? Oh, the XXX is shooting 227 fps out of my Merlin XV too, and I don't have to increase the poundage to get it to work.

field14
    One of my customers that is a really good shot (59x avg) just started trying them. Like you he could not bring himself to cut them short to start with. At first they did not shoot well so he cut 2" off. It grouped better. So he finally got them all the way down. Says they are pounding X's now.

Said the only down side is the ultra elite has a high tear to it that he can't get out of it. I talked to "HAMMER" and he said it's common with the hoyts because of the nock travel. We tried a weaker blade and it got better.

It's still not perfect through paper and it looks kind of funny because it is slightly nock low when not drawn. But they shoot really good.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by field14 View Post

field14

Good Post.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by master Cleatus View Post
    filed ...there are some (including the Cleatus) that feel the xxx's shoot better with the 100 instead of the 150..... why...heck I don't know..I just know they do....
    Yes, there are some out there that are shooting the XXX's with 100 grain points in them and having great success with them.

I'm not sure I'd try that with my setup, however, since I'd have to abandon my Pro-Point style tips...and I really like this "new technology"....that the only difference between those and the "chisel-points" of 40+ years ago is the LENGTH of the "chisel." So much for "modern technology."

"New and improved?" If it is NEW, then how can it be "improved" at the same time? Typical marketing double talk, haha.

field14

Indoor set ups
    120 to the very popular 150 point is common with the 45lb to 60lb indoor bows, and for the most part cut just past the arrow rest it is amazing this setup is to tunes and shoots well.

On the 3D side of things when running 60lb to 70 lb equipment folks have been running just a 100 up front this set up has been working well with accuracy- ease of tuning and yet the 100 carries just enough FOC balance to keep the big Triples smashin 12s
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!