You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Please help with bow advice

I'm a 35 year old wanting to get back into bowhunting. I have a great piece of land with plenty of deer to hunt. I used to shoot and hunt in the 80s but quit to go to school and raise a family.

Cost is really not an issue but I am frugal with my money. I'm trying to decide between just getting a Parker Hunter Mag Outfitter setup to just get started or to go for the Mathews Switchback XT.

I have a Parker dealer within walking distance that would do a decent setup. My thoughts on this are that it's probably all I need to kill a few deer. If I really think I need something better, I can upgrade later. It would also leave a few hundred dollars for getting other stuff like boots, treestands, etc.

On the other hand, I'll only probably get to hunt this property this year before it's sold. That makes me want to get the best bow and setup to make sure I'm ready with so little time. The Mathews dealer is top notch with an indoor range that I'm sure I'll be ready when I'm out the door.

Which should I get? Is the Switchback XT worth the extra money?

Please don't suggest any other bows. I've done a lot of considering and have narrowed it down to these two as selections for a decent setup versus a top of the line setup.

Thanks for any advice,

chris

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeekky View Post
    I'm a 35 year old wanting to get back into bowhunting. I have a great piece of land with plenty of deer to hunt. I used to shoot and hunt in the 80s but quit to go to school and raise a family.

Cost is really not an issue but I am frugal with my money. I'm trying to decide between just getting a Parker Hunter Mag Outfitter setup to just get started or to go for the Mathews Switchback XT.

I have a Parker dealer within walking distance that would do a decent setup. My thoughts on this are that it's probably all I need to kill a few deer. If I really think I need something better, I can upgrade later. It would also leave a few hundred dollars for getting other stuff like boots, treestands, etc.

On the other hand, I'll only probably get to hunt this property this year before it's sold. That makes me want to get the best bow and setup to make sure I'm ready with so little time. The Mathews dealer is top notch with an indoor range that I'm sure I'll be ready when I'm out the door.

Which should I get? Is the Switchback XT worth the extra money?

Please don't suggest any other bows. I've done a lot of considering and have narrowed it down to these two as selections for a decent setup versus a top of the line setup.

Thanks for any advice,

chris
    not to sound like a jerk but check out some of the other threads on here in this secion, LOTS ofthe same question and lots of good advice, particually about the XT and other high end bows.
    No I'm not dead

Default Bow

Hard question. The only thing I question on a higher end bow is you say that your land is for sale. Will you hunt afterward? If not or likely not I'd say get a lesser cost but fast bow (lots of options and they are so improved from when you last shot they are not even hardly close). Most of the dual cam bows are cheaper but very fast. If you wish to shoot a lot then keeping it tuned is a little more trouble. If you want to start shooting a lot more again (3d or more hunting) then spend the money. Matthews Switchback or Bowtech Tribute or Hoyt.(Which bow depends on which one feels right and shoots best for YOU, and that's how you decide. ) The higher end bows are $700+ plust arrwos and accessories. Sounds like 1k to me.

all the best,
    john

Even when the property sells, I'll still hunt. It's something I've always wanted to do, just never had a good place so no reason to start again. There is a guy at work who has offered to let me hunt on his land too.

I'll probably get back into shooting 3d again. When I used to shoot at the club was one of the best times of my life.

I'm leaving now to go pick up a SB XT. I just talked to a very serious hunter last night who said not to settle for anything less.

It still makes me a little nauseous to think about how much money I'll be spending. The good thing is that I received a bonus at work that I had forgotten about that almost perfectly makes up for the difference in the Parker versus Mathews bows. It's destiny.

Thanks for the advice,

chris

You will not be dissapointed......just think this may be the last bow you ever buy or it may be the start of something.....you have decided on a great bow.....Of course when I am in the stand the last thing I am thinking about is the brand of bow I have in my hand.....so you could give me a PSE and a good deer spot and I would still be in heaven.....
    I cut things up and split them down!