You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default What is your "miss" ?

Who else has a out of no where miss? Always the same direction, seems to come from out of nowhere and usually when least expected.

Mine happens to be a dreaded right, straight right about 8-10 inches. Seems to show up mostly on "closer" targets. But usually right in the middle of what would be a great round....bam, out of nowhere.

Biggest problem is, it doesn't happen often enough to be able to pin point what caused it. Even in times when I swear I made the same shot, release as before.

Any of you well experienced coaching types have any insight?

yep... but I'll bet Gene can answer that too...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I had that problem when I was shooting an Apex 7. Never had it with the Apex or the conquest 3. Don't have it now with the Hoyts.

I'd be shooting along popping 12's and out of nowhwere "BAM"

That bow took me from the top of my game to the point of taking up golf instead of archery

It had to be the grip. It wasn't the rest (tt spring steel) or the sight (hogg-it).

Default I have them shots

Yes it is the easy one as well.

I often say its between my ears is the promblem.

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    yep... but I'll bet Gene can answer that too...

Standard answer is usually... "you're over aiming"

Like I said, I could probably answer it, if it would happen often enough that I could relate it to something. Cause and effect.

I have a knack for finding the cause and effect in a poor golf shot, or ball flight and that's with multiple things happening all at once, half of them at a high rate of speed.

But this one(like all others) starts from a fairly static position, requiring only to be repeated like the one before it. Always leaving me with that nagging question...

"Ok...what'd I do that time?"

I shoot with both eyes open. When I had really long hair, I sometimes would shoot without restraining it. If the wind kicked up, my hair has blurred my vision enough that I focused on the phantom image that appears to the far left of my target when both eyes are open. I missed by a good 2 or 3 feet at 20 yards or so.

Check how tight your nock fits into the string loop. If there isn't a 1/64"-1/32" space, you could be having nock pinch. I had what seems to be a very similar problem: random shots off to the right, some as much as 18" at only 10 yds. Turned out to be nock pinch.

To prevent this, you could serve above & below the nock inside the loop. Also, to ensure the loop never "slips" I tie the tag ends as shown with floss. I also keep the loop short.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

High and to the right(diagonally). Couple inches off. Not sure if its just a weak shot or not.
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Archer View Post
    Check how tight your nock fits into the string loop. If there isn't a 1/64"-1/32" space, you could be having nock pinch. I had what seems to be a very similar problem: random shots off to the right, some as much as 18" at only 10 yds. Turned out to be nock pinch.

To prevent this, you could serve above & below the nock inside the loop. Also, to ensure the loop never "slips" I tie the tag ends as shown with floss. I also keep the loop short.

Hope this helps.

If I had a loop, it might look alot like that one.

I shoot fingers.... 1 under

But that is a good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney Bin View Post
    High and to the right(diagonally). Couple inches off. Not sure if its just a weak shot or not.

My miss used to be that diagonal high shot, only left. Funny thing was, they would sometimes find their way into the 14 on ASA targets.

But I cured the upper left miss after a good shooter(Tommy Gomez) gave me another lesson in using proper back tension, mostly when to engage it properly. Prior to that, I was engaging well after I had anchored, he had me start during draw and finish before I was completley anchored and settled in. Helped eliminate that particular beast.

Spoke with Javi on the phone last night, gave me alot of good info to try now to get rid of this straight right.

Thanks again Mike. I'll let ya know what I come up with after some time on the bag this weekend.

I took notes.

I serve mine in the same way only I use end serving or spider wire fishing line about 10 or 15 lb test and make my served in nocks a little smaller and allot rounder looking just enough so the loop doesn't pinch the arrow nock. My loop string is a little smaller too on my target rig. I don't like the loop to be that much wider than the jaws on my release if possible.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
    My miss used to be that diagonal high shot, only left. Funny thing was, they would sometimes find their way into the 14 on ASA targets.

But I cured the upper left miss after a good shooter(Tommy Gomez) gave me another lesson in using proper back tension, mostly when to engage it properly. Prior to that, I was engaging well after I had anchored, he had me start during draw and finish before I was completley anchored and settled in. Helped eliminate that particular beast.

Spoke with Javi on the phone last night, gave me alot of good info to try now to get rid of this straight right.

Thanks again Mike. I'll let ya know what I come up with after some time on the bag this weekend.

I took notes.
    I'm a lefty so that is essentially the same miss. I'll keep that in mind. I know as soon as the release goes off, when the arrow is high right. It usually shows up most of the time after a lot of shots. Being tired could be part of it, along with a possible form or shot sequence flaw. If I'm practicing and shooting well and that miss shows up a couple of times, I stop shooting. No need to ingrain bad habits.
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?