You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: took the plunge

no sight no panic

Default took the plunge

Well i have said i always wanted to try it so i did! I am strictly a spot shooter but this past saturday there was a pop up shoot and i gave it a try, it was fun. All though i did feel rushed to shoot before the target went down. I currently shoot compound barebow but i don't think thats the way to go.
    everything about my setup is slow low poundage (50#) 1914 x7's and a 48"ata
    bow (basic set up since 1985). I am thinking about putting my sight back on and still shoot fingers. Would carbon arrows give me enough speed to cut down on the guessing or am i lost in the abyss of not enough poundage?
    hoyt meridian
    pse magna flite
    release: the one GOD gave me

i would think increasing your poundage would help you more than anything

I think you COULD pick up quite a bit of speed, but it would depend on what the arrow lenth is and what spine you actually need. Those 1914s are a 658 spine so I'm guessing you dl is'nt long, correct? You'd probably lose 50 or 60 grains just going to redlines and they're not light for carbons. GT makes a light 600 spine shaft that may work for you, 5.7 grains per inch. What I don't know is how your older bow will like them. I have some I left full lenth and have 100 grain points in them, and they weight close to 300 grains total. My guess is you'll drop about a hundred grains using them. That would put you in the 6 grains-per-pound, safe for modern bows, but IDK about the bow you have.
    FBSA Member

no sight no panic

yes red i have a 29" draw the bow i shoot now is a hoyt meridian which is a fast flyte system not the old tear drop cables.
    hoyt meridian
    pse magna flite
    release: the one GOD gave me

I don't think the 600's will work. Not quite stiff enough for your 29" DL. I'd look into some 500 spine carbons. I plugged your specs into eastons shaft selector, and it suggested high 400s to low 500s in spine. That should keep you SAFE at the least. You'll have to play around with lenth and point weight to see what flies best out of your bow.
    FBSA Member