You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default i ended my elk season

i shot my elk yesterday evening, i made a stalk on what i thought was a single spike, the general tag is a hair tag here. i got within 100 yds and could go no further, he was feeding along the edge of a clear cut. he finally got on to a big flat of tall grass and i made it within 30 yds on my hands and knees. i ranged a tree for refference, it was 55 yds, i figured the elk was within 30 yds of my location. i heard something walking my way and saw a cow pop her head up. i made a quick decision to pass on her to see what unfolds. the cow walked within 10 feet of me before realizing i was danger, she hopped broadside then bolted. she stopped at about 40 yds. i stood up and drew my bow to see where the spike was, he was 25 yds staring at me. i started walking sideways looking for a hole in the tall grass when he bolted. he stopped a long ways out, just then i realized he was next to the tree i just ranged. i settled my 50 yd pin for a quartering away shot and the arrow hit true. he ran 135 yds and stopped, he started swaying and went to take a step and crashed, not much longer he was done!!!
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    flingin' gold tip xt hunters
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
    i shot my elk yesterday evening, i made a stalk on what i thought was a single spike, the general tag is a hair tag here. i got within 100 yds and could go no further, he was feeding along the edge of a clear cut. he finally got on to a big flat of tall grass and i made it within 30 yds on my hands and knees. i ranged a tree for refference, it was 55 yds, i figured the elk was within 30 yds of my location. i heard something walking my way and saw a cow pop her head up. i made a quick decision to pass on her to see what unfolds. the cow walked within 10 feet of me before realizing i was danger, she hopped broadside then bolted. she stopped at about 40 yds. i stood up and drew my bow to see where the spike was, he was 25 yds staring at me. i started walking sideways looking for a hole in the tall grass when he bolted. he stopped a long ways out, just then i realized he was next to the tree i just ranged. i settled my 50 yd pin for a quartering away shot and the arrow hit true. he ran 135 yds and stopped, he started swaying and went to take a step and crashed, not much longer he was done!!!
    CONGRATS!!!! Got pics?
    No I'm not dead

yeah, i will try to figure it out
    Attached Images Attached Images
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

Site Guru

sweeet! Congrats! is this your first Elk?
    No I'm not dead

my 3rd, year before last i got a cow, last year i got a spike, and now another spike. this is year seven for me so i am pretty happy with 3 in a row. maybe next year i will have a chance at a branch bull. our season closes on the sep 24 and our second season is cow only so i had to take the shot oppertunity, it was my first chance of the season. now if a deer cooperates. here is another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Gongratulations. That sure does look like a good eating bunch of meat and a very happy archer. Ya'll sure got it good out there we here in the Mnts of E Tn only have deer and bear, But I do so enjoy the hunt. I was struck by your ability to to stalk a big gane animal. That is sure like being hooked into 220v while on the ground hunting with a bow. only 6 days till D Day in Tn Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Congrats!!! Thats pretty awsome, i leave next friday for 12 days of elk hunting, Got my first bull last year, was a rag horn, but i had the shot, and bowhunting elk, I wont pass up on a good shot on any elk, you might not get a second chance, thier tough, Any elk with a bow is a good one!!! Hope im as lucky as you were!! Congrats again!!!

Congrats roosevelt nice bull. So cool to stalk something like that I wish we had them critters around here. We have about 12 of them in a high fence about 8 miles from here some guy raises them. Good luck with the deer.

"HONDA"

Nice shot and congrats......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Way to go That will be some good eating there.
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

thanks guys, i can't wait to hear some of your stories. i hunted hard the last 2 days with my buddy, i'm cutting up my elk tomorrow then back in the woods. i can't get enough of elk season, i just love to be there. our roosevelt elk here on the coast are not as vocal as the rocky mountain elk. i have not called one in yet so i have always done spot and stalk. some guys do well calling these bulls and i will learn, i have plenty of years....... i feel like i am missing out on part of the experience, out of the 3 elk i have harvested, i have only been able to follow one blood trail, the other 2 i watched fall for a small diameter broad head i was impressed with my rocky mountain iron head 100.
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

Banned

Nice congrates man 50 yards nice
    shot! I want to go on a elk hunt one
    day

congrat on a nice elk.
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

Congrats!!

You got a good eater there.....Congrats!!!!