You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default slight poping sound!!

hey guys, when i was shooting today i noticed that my diamond is making a slight poping noise. i think its coming from the top limb pocket. the strange part is, it doesnt happen all the time. any one know why this is happening? thanks...
    Diamond Victory 29"/55#
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

People Eating Tasty Animals

Remember, a Diamond lasts forever!

if it was a Mathews w/string suppressers, I would say check the supressers....as the material gets chewed up and bunches up it gets somewhat sticky.....This happens evertime I forget to clean them up after 100-150 shots.......

I would check were the string and cable attach to the cam and wheel....draw it back and let some look at and see if you string or cable is contacting......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Diamond-vic, My Illusion was making a slight pop on first draw. It turned out to be the plastic washer under the limb bolt against the limb. I took my limb bolts out and lubed the limb pockets, the bolts, and both sides of this washer with lithium grease and I've not had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mt1961 View Post
    Diamond-vic, My Illusion was making a slight pop on first draw. It turned out to be the plastic washer under the limb bolt against the limb. I took my limb bolts out and lubed the limb pockets, the bolts, and both sides of this washer with lithium grease and I've not had a problem since. Hope this helps.
    ummm just a slight warning here... if you do this without knowing what your doing you could be in for a world of pain, have you dealer look at it, they have a press so they can investigate it much closer and safer then you can.
    No I'm not dead

Forgot to mention the press. Don't do it unless you know what you are doing.

I have not seen your particular bow. that being said its probably the rocker block on the limb. The rocker block sits in the limb cup receiver. some times when the temp is gust right you get can some noise when drawing the bow. You would need a bow press to take the bow apart clean and re apply the lithium grease . Re assemble and who la !

Site Guru

I'd just like to say I'm shocked and appaled that no Mathews shooters have come in here yet saying "it is probably your limbs getting ready to explode".

You said it doesn't happen every time... how often does it occur?
    No I'm not dead

just every once and a while, thats the strange part, its totaly random, and it usualy lasts only a few shots then stops.
    Diamond Victory 29"/55#
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

Dredly, I would not even think about it this close to season a fella does not need to be thinking that way right now so I would not even bring it up. You must be completely confident in your equipment or things will go wrong. I am first an archery fan and hunter then when things are right I like to do a little bashing. With season right around the corner the time is not right. I hope everything turns out just fine diamond-vic.

"HONDA"

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Dredly, I would not even think about it this close to season a fella does not need to be thinking that way right now so I would not even bring it up. You must be completely confident in your equipment or things will go wrong. I am first an archery fan and hunter then when things are right I like to do a little bashing. With season right around the corner the time is not right. I hope everything turns out just fine diamond-vic.
    Well Said

How loud is this sound? are we talking a pop like blowing up a big and smashing it or like a pop like popping a little bubble on some bubble wrap?
    No I'm not dead

Its kinda like the sound a piano makes when dropped from 30 stories.... a slight crashing sound.......

lol, no its kinda like bubble wrap, just one pop though. its very noticeable to me becuase im anal about things like that
    Diamond Victory 29"/55#
    Gold Tip XT Hunters
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

Is it like a "CLICK" sound or more of a pop...i had a cam that had a defective bearing...sent the bow back to Darton and they replaced it and sent it back in a week...I too am anal about these things, but chances are it has been fixed since this was a month ago for ya...Good luck

Take it too a bow shop and have them check it out. I have only heard very good things about Diamond bows and this doesn't sound normal. As far as the string suppressors on the Mathews bows, I had one work its way loose on my new Switchback and when it did fire, it make a very loud popping sound. I pushed the string suppressor back into place, no problem since. So, the mighty Mathews is not the indestructable/perfect bow that everyone says they are. Flaws are found in every bow company. If it is made by man, flaws will appear. Overall, I am very pleased with my Switchback and wouldn't replace it with anything else, except maybe another Mathews bow. I wonder if a new model will appear to replace the the XT for 2007?????

Take Care and God Bless!

Ed
    "I don't go to church much, but I see the beauty of God everytime I walk in the woods".

-E Duffy Sr.
    (1946-1993)

Bowtech Guardian (29" DL, 63 lbs.)
    Bows Owned:
    Mathews Switchback/Switchback XT
    Hoyt Trykon/Vulcan

I also have a mathews Switchback from 2005. The cable popped off the roller guide a few times causing a popping sound and a stray arrow. When I figured out what was happening I brought the bow to the shop. He took it apart and cleaned the cable. We came to the conclusion that some wax may have built up and pushed the string our of the roller guide. What ever it was it hasn't happened again so far. But if it does I go to the pro shop and have it looked at. Good Luck.

One safe and simple thing to check is the allen head bolts on the side of the limb pocket that screw into the side of the riser. I have a Diamond Victory and I had to back those screws out and replace them with screws that had a nylon patch in them to keep them from backing out. I got them at an ACE hardware store for about 30 cents each. My bow made a faint creaking sound whenever those bolt(s) started coming loose. It was a 'sign' that one or both of those things were starting to back out.
    If that's not the problem then I would definitely bring it into the shop before something really fails on it.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremesportsman View Post
    I also have a mathews Switchback from 2005. The cable popped off the roller guide a few times causing a popping sound and a stray arrow. When I figured out what was happening I brought the bow to the shop. He took it apart and cleaned the cable. We came to the conclusion that some wax may have built up and pushed the string our of the roller guide. What ever it was it hasn't happened again so far. But if it does I go to the pro shop and have it looked at. Good Luck.
    had the same thing happen on my 03 Icon....usally only when it was in the case and when the string was new.....

My Bowtech Justice did the same randomly. Took it in. They cleaned the pockets so now it only does it on the first shot.

Exclamation bow poping

I have a PSE Mach 12 and it was making the same sound but not all the time and i found that the bolt where the limb pivots on was 1/8th of a turn loose. I tightened it and lubed the pocket and the rocker and the sound went away..........