You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much Ke

Default How much Ke

I am shooting 404 gr at 280 fps for about 70 ftlb. Do you think this is enough or should I be shooting a heavier arrow?

What will you be hunting? Thats more than enough KE to kill anything.

I will be hunting pa whitetail. I have never hear people talking about ke when it comes to bow hunting. I know what I consider to be enough with a gun but with a bow I am clueless and I know some people that use arrows well into the 500gr range.

Your set up is fine; Ke is not a very good measurement of penetration potential anyway...

Arrow weight does more than provide penetration. It also absorbs the energy from your bow more efficiently, quieting your shot and decreasing the vibration.

It might or might benefit you to increase the mass weight only practical testing will reveal that.

I would be more concerned with FOC and arrow flight with broad heads than mass at this point.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Don't need all that KE. My son shot a buck last year with 40# bow and an arrow that weighed 275 grains and traveling 203 FPS. It went through both shoulder blades with a 3 blade 75 grain Muzzy broad head. He also shot a doe quartering away breaking 2 ribs on entry and passing through the front shoulder on exit.What are talking about will be no problem.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    I will be hunting pa whitetail. I have never hear people talking about ke when it comes to bow hunting. I know what I consider to be enough with a gun but with a bow I am clueless and I know some people that use arrows well into the 500gr range.
    I believe shot placement is way more important than KE. For instance, if there was a guy drawing 100lbs and shooting a 550 grain arrow at 315fps, shooting a deer really far back might not kill it, the same would happen with your set up. If you shoot the deer in the heart, or double lung it, the deer is going to go down even if your drawing 40lbs and shooting a light arrow

i've read that you should have 25 lbs of ke for deer. i figure you've got about 70. i'm shooting almost the exact same set-up as you, so believe me; as long as you hit it good it's going down. i've been hunting pa deer for over 20 yrs. most of that time with a lot less ke than that. it's the accuracy that counts.

Is it enough? Enough for any animal on the U.S. Continent including Elk, Moose and Bison.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I agree, shot placement is always the most important factor. I often tell people that you could shoot a deer with a 22 lr and it will do the job, IF you put it in the boiler room, BUT I don't know anyone that uses less than a 270 win. I didn't know if this was a similar deal. If 70 ke is more than enough to get the job done then I am happy. I just don't want to go into the woods with a 243 when I should be taking a 300 mag. What do you use to measure penetration potential If not ke?
    Thanks for the responses!!! Help is always appreciated!!

Momentum
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

BUT I don't know anyone that uses less than a 270 win.
    You do now. My 260 has been very effective on multiple whitetail and my 6mm REM Encore handgun accounted for a doe at ~90yds last season - DRT. Regardless of the gun writers pushing the the short mags etc. deer are not steel plated.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Javi,

How would one determine the amount of momentum generated. I don't mean to be a smart @**. I have a formula I use to find my ke, do you have one to determine momentum? I guess it really dose not mater if every one thinks i have more than enough ke- momentum.

I shot 2 deer at 85 lbs of ke 2 years ago and have since backed my bow down and went to a heaver shaft for whitetails. Anything over 70lb of KE in my opinion is just plain over kill. Unless you plan on taking very long shots.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Well some old timers still preach that you cant shoot any decent "mature: deer/buck with an arrow under 450 gns..
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Db,
    Personally, I think a 243win more than gets the job done on whitetail and that is a very comparable round to 6mm rem. I reload both and have seen the holes they put through shoulder blades. I was just trying to express that what will get the job done and what is commonly preferable can be two separate things. A 6mm is a great round for deer IMHO but a vast majority of guns used for hunting deer are .277 or larger. I will dully note that you like rounds that are closer to .25 bore.

Jdawg,
    Thanks, that is just what I wanted to hear. As db pointed out with my 270 comment, I like a little overkill.

Im wondering about my cousins bow. Its a hoyt avenger, 55lbs 29DL and shooting a 378 grain arrow at 260. Is that enough for mule deer, and how long of a shot would you take with it?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

It's mostly personal preference - I just have to roll my eyes at all the marketing for the latest and greatest Ultra Short Magnum rounds. If you are a regular shooter, can handle the rounds and want a multi-purpose weapon - more power to you. But we've all seen the guy who fires 3 rounds a year go out and buy way more gun than he needs and is lucky to hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 100yds., he would be far better served with that 243 he can shoot well. Mostly would just like to see some of these gun rags come back to reality - they would be doing the majority of hunters a big service. Rant off! Back to archery.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by sgmathews92 View Post
    Im wondering about my cousins bow. Its a hoyt avenger, 55lbs 29DL and shooting a 378 grain arrow at 260. Is that enough for mule deer, and how long of a shot would you take with it?
    Buddy of mine made a 22 yd frontal qtr shot at a 15 yr old 346 inch bull elk in NM last year. He used a 372 gn arrow tipped with a 100 gn wac'em head from a 60 lb Elite Z28 . Went 4 feet into the animal and the head was sticking out 4 inches in front of the right rear leg..went 40 yds and dropped dead...Now ask yourself this, if thats what it can do to an old battle hardened bull elk why cant that setup be applied to a Mulie or Whitetail of any age/size?....If you just wanna focus on blowing through bone make your arrows heavy but if you want a good mix of speed and power and effectiveness, meet somewhere in the middle with a razor sharp BH..
    Last edited by hunter2678; 08-12-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

I will take speed over arrow weight. That will make up for a few yards of misjudgment of distance. A good shot and you don't have to worry about KE.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
    I will take speed over arrow weight. That will make up for a few yards of misjudgment of distance. A good shot and you don't have to worry about KE.
    Just out of curiosity, how much speed do you think it takes to make up for a 5 yard misjudge?
    What are the parameters by which you arrive at an acceptable speed...?
    In addition, what yardage is the maximum that you would consider making a shot on a game animal under ideal conditions...?
    Not picking on you but I want to run a little experiment and your comment spurred me to ask...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper