You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default where to place a ground blind?

I just built a blind out of extra lumber I had lying around and it looks pretty realistic in the bush, can barely see it when you break up the silhouette with a couple of spruce branches. I have a couple mule bucks walk by my stand at about 80 yards each year, nothing closer Im thinking if I use a blind I can get a little closer to the bucks. I have left the blind in the bush for about a month now, and hopefully the deer have gotten used to it because I still see them walk by it.(roughly 40 yards away from the structure). But where the blind is set, the shooting lanes are much smaller, and I want to create better opportunities for shooting lanes. I am a loud to use hay, or apples to get these suckers closer if the intention is to only get deer closer to the blind. I am not a lound to bait anything dangerous like griz, black bear, wolves, coyotes, etc.. The area is mainly cut blocks, with a 12 mile lake less than a km away, feed like you would imagine. bedding aeas are really close too.
    Where would you place a blind in this situation
    Thanks

SG

if the deer are coming within 40 yards of the blind now, i would just leave it where it is, it appears they are getting used to it

I would leave it there. If they are coming that close then they will eventually move closer with a little coaxing. Use food, apples, hay, corn, or some Acorn Rage a few days before season opens to get them closer. But, you should be practicing at 40 yards so you can get comfy shooting there in case a big one comes out and gives you a good shot. Don't do it if youre not comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoytUSA View Post
    I would leave it there. If they are coming that close then they will eventually move closer with a little coaxing. Use food, apples, hay, corn, or some Acorn Rage a few days before season opens to get them closer. But, you should be practicing at 40 yards so you can get comfy shooting there in case a big one comes out and gives you a good shot. Don't do it if youre not comfortable with it.
    two years ago I shot a mule deer in alberta at 64 yards, pass through