You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Scrubber buck (for this year at least)

I posted a previous thread about this buck.I was considering trying to arrow it this coming season for obvious reasons,but decided I'd let go to grow.

Scrubber buck (for this year at least) - Bowhunting forum

Default Young Buck

Often one doesnt see good horn size untell third of fourth year.

This very well may be his very first year.

Good pictures from that trail camera.

Which one is that?
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

The camera is a Leaf River IR7ss.Ya,this buck gets a free pass for sure.I killed a big non-typical 6 1/2 year old 12 pt. on this same property last season,so hopefully in a few more years this buck will turn out to be just as good.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by rut View Post
    The camera is a Leaf River IR7ss.Ya,this buck gets a free pass for sure.I killed a big non-typical 6 1/2 year old 12 pt. on this same property last season,so hopefully in a few more years this buck will turn out to be just as good.
    Do you see these bucks making good racks in the 3rd year on your cameras?

Looking forward to seeing this 6 1/2yrd old buck
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Do you see these bucks making good racks in the 3rd year on your cameras?

Looking forward to seeing this 6 1/2yrd old buck
    DB
    Last year was the first season I had hunting this piece of property;hence it was the first year for my trail cameras so I don't know what to expect out of the bucks on this piece.About a mile away is another piece that myself and my buddy hunt and it had quite a few big non-typicals on it a couple seasons ago.Matter of fact I killed a 10 pt. non-typical there last season also.Hoping for the best with these younger bucks.

This is the 6 1/2 yr. old from the piece with the buck from this post.Killed in '08.

This is the 10 pt. Non-typical from the piece a mille away that me and my buddy hunt.Killed in '08 also.

I would get rid of him so he can't make any babies. Have you seen any spots on him or anything that makes you think that this animal has been hurt? If not I would be worried that it just had bad genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    I would get rid of him so he can't make any babies. Have you seen any spots on him or anything that makes you think that this animal has been hurt? If not I would be worried that it just had bad genetics.
    No there is nothing to indicate an injury.Still getting a free pass though.

He has a healing scar on his right front elbow. His left antler shows the weird growth. This is typical antler growth of a deer with a one sided injury. He may be a nice 8 pt or better next year. Good call on giving him a free pass.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunterKS View Post
    He has a healing scar on his right front elbow. His left antler shows the weird growth. This is typical antler growth of a deer with a one sided injury. He may be a nice 8 pt or better next year. Good call on giving him a free pass.
    No,that scar has nothing to do with this bucks antler growth.That is a relatively new injury.I check this camera every Saturday,so I notice these things.Besides,I'm pretty sure this buck was a half racked spike horn that I kept seeing and getting trail camera shots of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by rut View Post
    No,that scar has nothing to do with this bucks antler growth.That is a relatively new injury.I check this camera every Saturday,so I notice these things.Besides,I'm pretty sure this buck was a half racked spike horn that I kept seeing and getting trail camera shots of last season.
    That makes sense. You seem pretty detail oriented and I wondered how you missed the injury lol. I couldn't tell if it was recent or an old wound still trying to heal.

Why wouldn't you cull a 2 year old buck like him? Just curious?
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by RxBowhunterKS View Post
    That makes sense. You seem pretty detail oriented and I wondered how you missed the injury lol. I couldn't tell if it was recent or an old wound still trying to heal.

Why wouldn't you cull a 2 year old buck like him? Just curious?
    Because I killed a big non-typical 12 pt. in these woods last season and I'm hoping this buck turns into something of a freak in the future.If it went from a spike to this in one year,maybe there is some potential.....I hope
    Last edited by rut; 08-20-2009 at 08:04 PM.