You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: HHA sights

Default HHA sights

I currently have an hha slider
    Is the dial HHA sight legal for hunter class?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    Thanks.
    No, fixed pins only.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    No, fixed pins only.
    Really??? I didn't know that. Bummer - I love my HHA!
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

Our coallition has an "Advanced Hunter" class that allows those type of moveable sights. They are getting too popular to ignore.
    President-Neuse River Bowhunters
    PSE Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    Thanks.
    The only place you will run into a issue is if you plan on shooting a IBO shoot. (not sure on ASA rules). All of the non IBO shoots up here alow them for hunter class. As long as you don't have a lense on it you should OK at most shoots.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Default Wondering the same thing

I was wondering that. I like those sights but didnt know how "legal" they were for comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Davis View Post
    I was wondering that. I like those sights but didnt know how "legal" they were for comp.
    Here's what the ASA rules say:
    Men's Hunter: "Release, fixed pins with magnification allowed..."
    Doesn't say specifically that it's not allowed. May want to contact ASA themselves to get the real skinney. You can google the ASA rules.

you can shoot it in the ibo hunter class you just have to find a way so it cant be moved once you hit the course

Quote Originally Posted by kw1 View Post
    you can shoot it in the ibo hunter class you just have to find a way so it cant be moved once you hit the course
    Well, that just sucks. Now I gotta go back to my Extreme Sniper.
    However, if somebody wanted to get real snarkey and interpret the rules exactly, it does say "fixed pins." The pin in the HHA slider is "fixed", the scope housing traverses both for windage and elevation. I would guess that that would be the same for SureLocs and other target scopes that some people use for hunting also.

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    Well, that just sucks. Now I gotta go back to my Extreme Sniper.
    However, if somebody wanted to get real snarkey and interpret the rules exactly, it does say "fixed pins." The pin in the HHA slider is "fixed", the scope housing traverses both for windage and elevation. I would guess that that would be the same for SureLocs and other target scopes that some people use for hunting also.
    The "pin" on my CBE Quad Lite is "fixed" in the scope, but it is a "slider" sight. The intent of the rule is obvious. If you are competing in a "fixed pin" class then you are not allowed to move any part of the sight after starting the competition. (Except for one gang move or breakdown situations)

I know the HHA sliders are very popular with hunters, and we at our club allow them in the hunter class club shoots.

As far as wanting the IBO or ASA to change the rules of competition to allow sliders in the "pin" classes I am not in favor. Having to gap shoot between pins is the whole purpose of having a "pin" class.

My thought is that at the club level do whatever it takes to encourage participation-fling what you bring. On the national level though I say follow the rules as they are or move to a class that allows the equipment you like to use.

I think the arguement that "some people use a widgit for hunting, so I should be able to use a widgit to compete in the hunter class" is getting old.

Where will it stop? I can take my vantage elite with a 30" doinker, sidestabs, 4x scope, rangefinder, fat 27 arrows with 1" vanes up in a tree stand and "hunt". So does that mean I should expect the Nat'l orgs to let me compete in the hunter class with all that stuff?
    Last edited by Huntelk; 08-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.