You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Shooter??? Or let it walk?

Checked my camera today and had a few pictures of this buck. To me, it's a shooter, but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Just curious how many would take the opportunity to put this one in the freezer.
    Shooter??? Or let it walk? - Bowhunting forum

looks like about a 2 year old. its all preference. If you think its a trophy then its a trophy ! My self I persoanlly would let it walk. I am a big horn hunter now .... in the past wasnt and wouldnt have taken a second thought. and also depends if you and your area your hunting is practicing QDM.... good luck on what ever choice you make. and if you do get it this year.... take pics for us !!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

jim

No question as to him being a nice animal. It would be great if you could see him in another couple years but there's no guarantee he'll make it. I'm with Pinwheel, if you feel he's a shooter - that's what's important. Don't let anyone question your decision

I say let it walk, only bucks I shoot are ones I will shoulder mount and hang on my wall... That being said I have only shot two and this will be my 5th season bow hunting. I always shoot more does than bucks anyway. To each is own its your tags and your time in the woods!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, just curious as to who would let it walk and who would shoot it. This is on public land and the closest thing to QDM would be the state requirement that a legal buck has at least 3-points on one side. The law has been in place for several years now, and I have seen an increase in the antler size since put in place. I'm not against QDM by any stretch, but then I've never passed on putting a legal buck in the freezer. As far as does (tastey), they are on the hit list as well. However, where I live in Arkansas, the legal limit for deer is three, 2-does and 1-buck, or 1-doe and 2-bucks. All three can't be the same sex. Just like most places, we have more does than bucks and I wish that we could get extra tags for does. As far as this buck, I'll let you know. The season opens October 1st and I'll see what else turns up on tha camera. This area isn't known for lots of big bucks anyway. There aren't any field crops within 30-miles that I know about. So the deer survive on mast, browse, and what ever they can get from peoples flowers and bushes . I'l let you know how it goes.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

The reality is most of use don't have big enough property we hunt on to able to do QDM. For example: The guy who owns the property behind mine & his buddies will take anything so QDM is a joke on my place - it certainly is on public land. It would depend on what I was seeing - if in your case an 8 pt 2.5 year old is a good animal (it is on my land) then yes take it. I would.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Checked my camera today and had a few pictures of this buck. To me, it's a shooter, but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Just curious how many would take the opportunity to put this one in the freezer.

HUnting is not about shooting trophy deer. Each hunter chooses why he hunts. If this buck would make you feel good to harvest. I say go for it!
    Its your tag and your right. I dont know how many deer you have harvested but I have harvested my share of deer that size and it was rewarding for myself then. Honestly its your call to make.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

let him walk for one more year. Patience will pay off at some point.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

id love to see deer like that..I'd definately take that deer

The closest thing ive ever shot to a buck, was a button buck which i thought was a big doe..Didnt know it was a buck till field dressing time
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

have you ever shot a buck bigger then that before? if not take it. I hunt a very hard hunted area but we have good deer, so if that buck walks up early season ill let it walk. If he comes up last few days of bow season, hes down.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

For the guys that say a 2.5 is rare in your area and you would shoot him in a heartbeat, then things will never change. I am not trying to slam and say what you do is wrong just make you think that if you would like for it to change then you have to be the one to start change. Then spread the word. In today time Hunters are becoming more "QDM"
    That's a nice theory - like I said it's not going to happen around here. They're not going to do it. If you can't get everyone around a pretty large area to agree it's not going to work. No me starting it isn't going to change anything - there has to be an interest by all parties and that is definitely not the case here.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Someone told me once, never pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last day. I have a 14 point buck behind my house this yeer it has great mass and split g1's. That is the deer I plan on shooting this year but if a good 8 point showes up at 15 yards broadside he is going to get it. Maybe the next yeer I will get that big boy, but this year at least i would have something to bring home.
    Last year I passed on a small 8 point because I would see this great buck once a week but could never get him in range and was sure I would by the end of season. Long story short, never got hin under 40 and ended up shooting a 5 point buck in the last hours of the last day.
    I think that when the game gods give you a chance on a deer that you would take on the last day you should take it Or be okay with going home empty handed.