You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooter??? Or let it walk?

Checked my camera today and had a few pictures of this buck. To me, it's a shooter, but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Just curious how many would take the opportunity to put this one in the freezer.
    Shooter??? Or let it walk? - Bowhunting forum

looks like about a 2 year old. its all preference. If you think its a trophy then its a trophy ! My self I persoanlly would let it walk. I am a big horn hunter now .... in the past wasnt and wouldnt have taken a second thought. and also depends if you and your area your hunting is practicing QDM.... good luck on what ever choice you make. and if you do get it this year.... take pics for us !!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

jim

No question as to him being a nice animal. It would be great if you could see him in another couple years but there's no guarantee he'll make it. I'm with Pinwheel, if you feel he's a shooter - that's what's important. Don't let anyone question your decision

I say let it walk, only bucks I shoot are ones I will shoulder mount and hang on my wall... That being said I have only shot two and this will be my 5th season bow hunting. I always shoot more does than bucks anyway. To each is own its your tags and your time in the woods!
    Hoyt Trykon-390 gr.@280fps.
    Truglo Tool-less / 5-.019" pins
    WB/Double STS/S-Coil Stab./CSS Tunerz
    5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said, just curious as to who would let it walk and who would shoot it. This is on public land and the closest thing to QDM would be the state requirement that a legal buck has at least 3-points on one side. The law has been in place for several years now, and I have seen an increase in the antler size since put in place. I'm not against QDM by any stretch, but then I've never passed on putting a legal buck in the freezer. As far as does (tastey), they are on the hit list as well. However, where I live in Arkansas, the legal limit for deer is three, 2-does and 1-buck, or 1-doe and 2-bucks. All three can't be the same sex. Just like most places, we have more does than bucks and I wish that we could get extra tags for does. As far as this buck, I'll let you know. The season opens October 1st and I'll see what else turns up on tha camera. This area isn't known for lots of big bucks anyway. There aren't any field crops within 30-miles that I know about. So the deer survive on mast, browse, and what ever they can get from peoples flowers and bushes . I'l let you know how it goes.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

The reality is most of use don't have big enough property we hunt on to able to do QDM. For example: The guy who owns the property behind mine & his buddies will take anything so QDM is a joke on my place - it certainly is on public land. It would depend on what I was seeing - if in your case an 8 pt 2.5 year old is a good animal (it is on my land) then yes take it. I would.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

It all depends on your specific property and what your trying to do. I say shoot him if you want.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

In my area, I would let the air out of him in a heart beat. 2.5 year olds are rare around here.

Default Do not take this the wrong way.

OK I say if it makes you happy then shoot him. But if like it seems is the case thier is hesitation. Then let him walk. I hunt public land a let six bucks last year that looked real simaliar in size to him walk. I can not wait and see what they do this year cause I KNOW not all of them were shot.

For the guys that say a 2.5 is rare in your area and you would shoot him in a heartbeat, then things will never change. I am not trying to slam and say what you do is wrong just make you think that if you would like for it to change then you have to be the one to start change. Then spread the word. In today time Hunters are becoming more "QDM" so to speak savy and many places that normally produce small deer are now producing monsters. It is evident n Videos and TV shows. Years ago there were just a few states they would target to kill big bucks, yet today they are shooting big one in just about every state because more and more hunters are having a change in mentality.

I grew up hunting public and all I ever heard was If I let him walk someone else will shoot him. And yes that does happen but probaly not near as much as we lead ourselves to believe, and I have seen guys shoot deer I have passed yet they still do not get everyone.

Saying that there is only one fact that we know and control ourselves. If My attitude is if I pass on him someone else will shoot him then I shoot him anyway, guess what it is a fact he will not survive the season. If I do let him walk at least he still has a chance to make it another year.

Like I said I do not think badly on anyone's post here, just like to get people look at it in a different way, cause the more hunters start thinking management the better the herd will be a healthy sustaining herd.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Let him walk. He is tempting, but I passed 3 deer very similar to him last year. Hoping I get a crack at one of them this year.
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
    OK I say if it makes you happy then shoot him. But if like it seems is the case thier is hesitation. Then let him walk. I hunt public land a let six bucks last year that looked real simaliar in size to him walk. I can not wait and see what they do this year cause I KNOW not all of them were shot.

For the guys that say a 2.5 is rare in your area and you would shoot him in a heartbeat, then things will never change. I am not trying to slam and say what you do is wrong just make you think that if you would like for it to change then you have to be the one to start change. Then spread the word. In today time Hunters are becoming more "QDM" so to speak savy and many places that normally produce small deer are now producing monsters. It is evident n Videos and TV shows. Years ago there were just a few states they would target to kill big bucks, yet today they are shooting big one in just about every state because more and more hunters are having a change in mentality.

I grew up hunting public and all I ever heard was If I let him walk someone else will shoot him. And yes that does happen but probaly not near as much as we lead ourselves to believe, and I have seen guys shoot deer I have passed yet they still do not get everyone.

Saying that there is only one fact that we know and control ourselves. If My attitude is if I pass on him someone else will shoot him then I shoot him anyway, guess what it is a fact he will not survive the season. If I do let him walk at least he still has a chance to make it another year.

Like I said I do not think badly on anyone's post here, just like to get people look at it in a different way, cause the more hunters start thinking management the better the herd will be a healthy sustaining herd.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Just think about it. If you the hunter can start the trend of passing up young deer and try to teach or spread the word about QDM you never know what your area can produce. It can start with you.
    Look at where I am from for example. I live in SE Oklahoma. 10 Years ago the average deer killed in my area was 1 1/2 years old. Pretty sad but in the last couple of years that age has gone up to about 2 1/2 which is still pretty low but its a start.
    I have a lease in the Kiamichi Mts. No crop fields what so ever. Just rough country. 2 years ago there was 2 state Records killed within a few days of each other. Guess what. Both bucks were killed in the Kiamichi Mts. No crop fields remember. The bucks get a chance to get old in the MT's and with proper deer Mngt these bucks got get a chance to get old and really develop. Just because there are no crop fields doesnt mean that you cant produce some awesome whitetails. It just takes proper mngt and LOTS OF PATIENCE.

If this buck is a trophy to you then I say shoot it and then set your standards for your next buck a little higher. Just keep setting your standards higher and higher and before you know it you will have studs running all over your place.

By the way. Both bucks that were killed in OK that year were typical state records. One of them scored 192 5/8 and the other was 194. The 192 5/8 buck is bigger than the other IMO but has more deducts. I am gonna post a pic of it and then a pic of the monster 10pt we have on us that will score around 200. We call him Big Boy. Typical frame 10 pt with 10 inch brow tines. Just a brute of a buck. Remember all these bucks are from areas that doesnt have crop fields. Just proper MNGT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Checked my camera today and had a few pictures of this buck. To me, it's a shooter, but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Just curious how many would take the opportunity to put this one in the freezer.

HUnting is not about shooting trophy deer. Each hunter chooses why he hunts. If this buck would make you feel good to harvest. I say go for it!
    Its your tag and your right. I dont know how many deer you have harvested but I have harvested my share of deer that size and it was rewarding for myself then. Honestly its your call to make.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

let him walk for one more year. Patience will pay off at some point.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

id love to see deer like that..I'd definately take that deer

The closest thing ive ever shot to a buck, was a button buck which i thought was a big doe..Didnt know it was a buck till field dressing time
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

have you ever shot a buck bigger then that before? if not take it. I hunt a very hard hunted area but we have good deer, so if that buck walks up early season ill let it walk. If he comes up last few days of bow season, hes down.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

For the guys that say a 2.5 is rare in your area and you would shoot him in a heartbeat, then things will never change. I am not trying to slam and say what you do is wrong just make you think that if you would like for it to change then you have to be the one to start change. Then spread the word. In today time Hunters are becoming more "QDM"
    That's a nice theory - like I said it's not going to happen around here. They're not going to do it. If you can't get everyone around a pretty large area to agree it's not going to work. No me starting it isn't going to change anything - there has to be an interest by all parties and that is definitely not the case here.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    That's a nice theory - like I said it's not going to happen around here. They're not going to do it. If you can't get everyone around a pretty large area to agree it's not going to work. No me starting it isn't going to change anything - there has to be an interest by all parties and that is definitely not the case here.
    I disagree. Change has to start somewhere. Our area used to be just like yours but then someone changed and started spreading the word. We still have peole go by the saying (if its brown its down). Thats fine. Its there God given right but the majority of the guys around here are starting to pass younger bucks up. Guess what. The trend started somewhere.
    Just like DB said. If you think its a trophy it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. Thats all that matters. Good luck and try to start a trend. People will catch on eventually and it has to start somewhere.
    Jame

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    Funny you say that cause when I first moved to OK from TX a buddy I was working with had 110 acres that had 6 guys hunting it. They have never shot a deer any bigger than the one in question here. My buddy asked me to implement rules for his hunters to follow cause he not a hunter but just did not like to see such young bucks constantly killed. It is funny he was not a hunter and understood the importance of a healthy herd, and was not against hunting what so ever. So the first year I told the guys they could not shoot one single buck off the place. I do not care if it is a booner(and I say that from my experience from Outfitting a tightly managed land hunters will swear it was a monster and be the same buck in question here when we walk up to it. For one year shoot does only, and I will work with them to age deer by body and not by rack. They were not happy but they did it, The next year I let them shoot a buck that met requirements I showed them on aging. Opening weekend one guy shot a 135 in 10pt. When he brought back to camp the guys looked as if they have never seen anything that big in their life. So Yes the theory can work on small properties. Even on thirty acres. It can work, just got to give it a shot.

Everyone thinks Management is about Trophy Bucks, which in the end that is a good result but the most important part is overall deer quality. Think of deer in human terms versus age. SO a 2.5 year old deer is like a 8 or 9 year human. Well what would this world be like if it is ran by a bunch of 8 year olds. Just in deer the 2.5 year old barley understand what life is about. They really do not understand why they scrape, they barley understand. I just hate seeing deer herds where 2.5 year old is the top end. That makes us no better than the days of old kill all you can a almost decemated the herds. We are better than that. Then everyone uses the excuse we will lose our kids because they can not kill first time out. That is hog wash I went three years on public land and saw just a glimpse of deer never getting even a great look at them. That made me realize it was actually a sport not some video game go out and shoot after being there 5 minutes. So when I did get a deer it was pretty freakin awesome. But then also to those who say if you pass on small ones you will lose the kids, but if you give the management two years our kids will have so much more variety in racks cause most 2.5 year old has same style rack. You give them to 4 or 5 years the racks can vary in alot of ways making the sport more appealing to kids.

I guess what I was trying to say is if you would like change it will never even begin to happen unless you change yourself. I know it is hard cause there are plenty changes I need to implement myself like more exercise. I am not going to lose weight unless I change.

Dbcougar if you would like it to change you may would like to get with a QDM group and get someone with a successful story with great pics and good video footage maybe that could get guys thinking. Then find a way to intice your local hunters near you to a dinner that you give away some prizes or something that would get them to show up, Then have QDM show there success story and never know you guys may come out with a good plan. Not going to hook them all but you would be surprised how many are thinking the exactly the way you are.

Deer Management is a awesome thing I have seen proof all over the country and it is just not for the rich and famous. We just have to approach it differently.

In our area there's about 50/50 practicing some form of QDM. But 8 years ago it was zero. Once the neighbors started seeing the bucks we were killing they caught on. Now some are on board that we would have never guessed would be. It all still comes down to what you want to shoot. If QDM is not for you so be it. Have fun and pass the backstraps.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

jim

Good post Devine, I appreciate your taking the time to make it