You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is'nt a deer here that would'nt get shot. Big or small. I'm affraid to let any deer without spots pass. QDM is but a dream here. I would welcome it if it were to come to a vote. But untill it does, you have to decide yourself. Nobody here is going to down you if you take him. Deer are food to me.
    FBSA Member

FYI I hunt a parcel of land that is mabey 200 acres. No less than 8 other guys are known to be in there through the fall. If I don't put it in the freezer, the next guy will. In my situation, I would'nt hesitate to take him.
    FBSA Member

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I'm glad you had success but let me say this one more time THERE IS NO WAY IT"S GOING TO HAPPEN THAT WAY HERE - you don't know the people I'm dealing with - they just don't care. As red said:
    There is'nt a deer here that would'nt get shot.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Someone told me once, never pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last day. I have a 14 point buck behind my house this yeer it has great mass and split g1's. That is the deer I plan on shooting this year but if a good 8 point showes up at 15 yards broadside he is going to get it. Maybe the next yeer I will get that big boy, but this year at least i would have something to bring home.
    Last year I passed on a small 8 point because I would see this great buck once a week but could never get him in range and was sure I would by the end of season. Long story short, never got hin under 40 and ended up shooting a 5 point buck in the last hours of the last day.
    I think that when the game gods give you a chance on a deer that you would take on the last day you should take it Or be okay with going home empty handed.

Default QDM is a joke

Maybe cause I'm a meat hunter first and a horn hunter second.

QDM says if your a meat hunter, shoot does and let the bucks walk..... Common sense say if you shoot off the does they are not producing fawns, If they don't produce fawns the population goes down, bucks included.

Put it this way you can't raise chickens if you eat all the eggs, sooner or later you run out of eggs..

Don't get me wrong I get a little selective and let a few go by when I get down to my last tag but before that day i'm on a mission to fill the freezer.

To give you a idea of the hunting pressure put on the deer here and why QDM won't work in my area.

These are just gun season numbers

On my 30 acres there are 4 family member that hunt it.

Neighbors to the north they don't live here just hunt here, they have 40 acres. Last year opening day of gun season he had 7 guys hunting it.

the 40 acre lot to the north of him ( once again just hunt here) they have 4 guys hunting.

To the backside of me, guy lease a 50 acre lot and have 7 to 8 people hunting.

South of me the guy has a 90 acre lot and god only know how many people he has hunting they like driving around on 4 wheelers and try to push deer to each other.

Now each of these hunter has two buck tags and most have a couple does tag and we all have about 3 and half months of hunting to fill them. Now that's pressure, sometimes you wonder how anything lives through that. Open day around here sounds like WW3 breaking out all around.

That should give you a idea of why it's rare to see a 2.5 year old buck or even a older doe in this area.

I live next to a farm and my land backs up to about 1200 acres of woods that is owned by the farmer. He lets me and 3 others hunt it. There is no way qdm would work for me. There are just to many deer for us to make an impact. It is not unusual for me to see 10-15 doe a night and 8- 10 small buck a night. The wmu I live in is just over run with deer. last year PA put 92000 doe tags for wmu 5c this year it is 113000 an increase of 20 some %. The total doe tags put out in the state is only 800000. If the people that hunt where I hunt tried qmd we would have to take 20 deer a season per person just to make a dent.
    I think qdm has its place but in some places it just will not work, or in my case it would take the period of my natural life to see my work have an affect.

Default Several Ways to look at same situation....

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

QDM says if your a meat hunter, shoot does and let the bucks walk..... Common sense say if you shoot off the does they are not producing fawns, If they don't produce fawns the population goes down, bucks included.

Put it this way you can't raise chickens if you eat all the eggs, sooner or later you run out of eggs..

Don't get me wrong I get a little selective and let a few go by when I get down to my last tag but before that day i'm on a mission to fill the freezer.

To give you a idea of the hunting pressure put on the deer here and why QDM won't work in my area.

Neighbors to the north they don't live here just hunt here, they have 40 acres. Last year opening day of gun season he had 7 guys hunting it.

the 40 acre lot to the north of him ( once again just hunt here) they have 4 guys hunting.

South of me the guy has a 90 acre lot and god only know how many people he has hunting they like driving around on 4 wheelers and try to push deer to each other.

Now each of these hunter has two buck tags and most have a couple does tag and we all have about 3 and half months of hunting to fill them. Now that's pressure, sometimes you wonder how anything lives through that. Open day around here sounds like WW3 breaking out all around.

That should give you a idea of why it's rare to see a 2.5 year old buck or even a older doe in this area.

Now that's pressure, sometimes you wonder how anything lives through that.

With this you have answered the impossibilities of QDM. Hmmmmm how do the deer survive. With all those hunters how and the heck do they survive. Several reasons most of which most hunters are really not that good, even with a rifle. Most shoot first thing comes out, Then the pressure several will turn nocturnal or areas that the hunters do not trample in. This is excatly the point I have tried to make to the non believers. THEY DO SURVIVE......
    NOT EVERY SINGLE BUCK GETS KILLED EVERY YEAR. The theory if meat hunters all start shooting does then no more eggs to hatch. Well if that were true all the years of all this pressure hunting when everyone was after just bucks, would that not be the same thing cause it does take two to tangle...

Yes what scenario you described sounds pretty tough. Yet to me you have great chance to have a safe place for deer. Your only hurdle to start is get the hunters on your place to dare try it. Create good cover with a good food base and Your group hunt smart and you have a great sanctuary for deer that will come running and want to live on your place.

I am not trying to say you can turn it into a DEERASSIC Park or nothing yet it can be Improved........BECAUSE EVEN WITH ALL THAT PRESSURE THEY STILL SURVIVE...... SO IF I PASS HE HAS A CHANCE...... HE MAY GET SHOT..... BUT HE STILL HAS A CHANCE........Some will SURVIVE....Believe it or not. I grew up in North Texas near Dallas with just one little public land that a lot of hunters has two solid months of rifle hunting. The public was nothing but 30 acres here 80 over there and rest of land all around leased up. Hunters like crazy and when my cousins and I finally learned to hunt we started finding some real good deer when we really thought it was hopeless. I will try to find couple pics and scan them. I only hunted with bow all year and just when getting good moved after high school. It was just getting good and for the cousins they have done pretty decent since.

I guess I ought to give up. I hope you guys enjoy yourselves out hunting this fall because it is a great sport. Good Luck to all even if you shoot young or old. If it makes you happy shoot them. I just started talking management to the ones who sounded like they would rather shoot bigger but just no hope. GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

There is no way you can say QDM is a joke. It has proven itself across the nation. Shooting does is one of the best ways to manage a deer herd. We shoot 25-30 does a year off of our place and only 5-8 bucks a year. On our spot light counts this year we are still seeing alot of does but almost all of them have twins. 6 years ago when we started our counts we seen alot more does but most of them didnt even have any fawns. Our buck doe ratio is around 2 does to 1 buck. We would like it to be 1 to 1. Just makes the bucks work harder to breed and therefore we see alot more mature bucks in the day light hours. On an average a mature buck will only breed 3 does a year. Now take that into account. You have 25 does and 3 bucks on your place. No more than 10 of those does are getting bread. So killing a few of them every year and letting the younger bucks walk would not hurt a thing only help your over all health of your deer. Not only that are you gonna mount that little young buck. Probably not. If its a trophy to you and you are proud to kill then thats awesome and your God given right to do so.

All of you guys in your area need to get a little more QDM educated.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

One of the farms I hunt in KY has the doe ratio way out of whack. The property belongs to my friends in laws; the 2 of us and the boys are about the only ones who hunt it and there is a little more land there maybe 4-500 acres still not nearly big enough to really contain a herd but everyone seems to be interested in leaving the really small ones alone - what doesn't happen is getting enough does taken to keep a good ratio. I've tried to make it a point to take a few does out of there the last few years once I realized how far it was off. I probably should just take does when I'm on that land for a few years.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I do not know why but I find myself passing up on too many does as well, Always thinking that big one might show up. Good Luck Slaying some does, they make some good steaks n burgers.......MMMMmmmmmmm. I will try and keep telling myself that......