You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    For me, on bucks... if it's not big enough for the wall, it's not big enough to shoot.
    Thats a big amen for me too.

The way I look at it if its not big enough to put on the wall then why shoot it but big enough for the wall for me is alot different for alot of other people. The way we do it is it has to be 4.5 or older or we cant shoot it or unless its your first buck or a kiddo.
    Jame

Mine are pretty low.
    First doe or buck that comes near enough and looks like it's at least a 1.5 YO. After that, well, same standards. I've never seen what others would consider a trophy buck in the woods. I've seen some large bodied bucks, but no racks to speak of. I'd never shoot a deer if I set standards by horn size. Mabey it's just the way it is here in the northeast. Let one pass and you might go hungry. Hard to change that way of thinking here.
    Last edited by red44; 09-04-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    FBSA Member

jim

[QUOTE]I was told if I shoot a wounded buck I must place a tag on it. Im not going to give up a tag on a wounded buck. I would most likely harvest it and leave it lay if it was truly suffering. Im just being honest. I once removed the antlers from a dead buck that I found. I was told I would get a ticket if caught with those antlers during season. Its can be a tough call at times but I would most likely put it down and leave it.
    DB
    [/QUOTE

DB, I know when you read this, your going to swear I'm blowing smoke - honest, I'm not. This is what was told to a group of hunters by not just our local warden but by his superior from the Columbus ODNR.
    Until you actually touch (this shows possession of said animal) the DNR can do nothing. The catch here is - possession can be as simple as pulling the arrow out of the animal.
    We then ask about removing antlers from a dead buck, say one you've found that had not been recovered by another hunter. Here they want you to contact them first then they will make the call. They may even go in the field with you on something like this. It's against the law to cut the antlers off a buck laying on the side of the road. Yes but that's subject to state laws as far as roadways go, not hunting laws. They (sheriff and patrol) don't want a hazard caused by a stopped vehicle or dummy in the road.

I didn't mean to get this thread off course. Like I said, this is what I would do and have once in all the years I've hunted. We are allowed one buck in my state - I really don't want to burn it either.

Default I agree with the law

[QUOTE=jim p.;250935]
    I was told if I shoot a wounded buck I must place a tag on it. Im not going to give up a tag on a wounded buck. I would most likely harvest it and leave it lay if it was truly suffering. Im just being honest. I once removed the antlers from a dead buck that I found. I was told I would get a ticket if caught with those antlers during season. Its can be a tough call at times but I would most likely put it down and leave it.
    DB
    [/QUOTE

DB, I know when you read this, your going to swear I'm blowing smoke - honest, I'm not. This is what was told to a group of hunters by not just our local warden but by his superior from the Columbus ODNR.
    Until you actually touch (this shows possession of said animal) the DNR can do nothing. The catch here is - possession can be as simple as pulling the arrow out of the animal.
    We then ask about removing antlers from a dead buck, say one you've found that had not been recovered by another hunter. Here they want you to contact them first then they will make the call. They may even go in the field with you on something like this. It's against the law to cut the antlers off a buck laying on the side of the road. Yes but that's subject to state laws as far as roadways go, not hunting laws. They (sheriff and patrol) don't want a hazard caused by a stopped vehicle or dummy in the road.

I didn't mean to get this thread off course. Like I said, this is what I would do and have once in all the years I've hunted. We are allowed one buck in my state - I really don't want to burn it either.
    Other wise if they caught poachers with horns they could just say they found a dead buck. Here the law is about keeping someone from shooting a deer just for the horns. Its Illegal to sale horns in Oklahoma.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

first whitetail with horns thats close enough die`s. I will be hunting for a
    190ish muly though.

Here in Indiana, we only get 1 buck for the entire year. So, I have become a little more picky about what I shoot at. It paid off last year though with my P&Y buck. I let a nice 125" 8 pointer walk the first week, & got a 183 1/8" monster the second week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite GT500, G5 Sight & Rest, Doinker Stab, Treelimb Quiver, Victory V Force Arrows, Grim Reapers, Chameleon Slingz Bow Sling

Default Buck of a lifetime there

Quote Originally Posted by jschulz View Post
    Here in Indiana, we only get 1 buck for the entire year. So, I have become a little more picky about what I shoot at. It paid off last year though with my P&Y buck. I let a nice 125" 8 pointer walk the first week, & got a 183 1/8" monster the second week.
    Going to be a tough go beating that one.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

jim

Nice buck - your earlier pass up paid off big time

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    Nice buck - your earlier pass up paid off big time
    Thats the type of pay offs when you let the younger bucks go. A really mature buck and you got the horns to go with it.

You cant expect to kill a buck like that every year but if you kill the first buck you see that passes by chances are you not gonna ever kill a deer like that.

Old Archer

Unhappy

Last couple of years I have stayed quiet, waiting for the right buck! Opening day 08 had four bucks from a spike to a forked horn under the stand. Some does also passed by. Day two same thing minus a couple bucks and does.
    Stayed quiet no arrows lauched, still waiting for the bigger deer 6 points plus maybe a eight. Night before the end of trip, time to head home only yearlings remain, most deer taken on farms down the road. Lots of competition, and others just what meat in the freezer. Time to head home empty handed again!
    What would you have done, your thoughts!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Attachment 18006

this buck or nothing until after the rut is over unless of course theres another buck like that i dont have pictures of
    Last edited by killbambidead; 01-02-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Grizz, Take a doe for the freezer. Maybe wait for a really big doe.

I won't shoot a buck unless it tops the buck prier to what I shot before. I hope this makes since, I don't live in a big buck producing area so I wait and wait until I see something that makes me go WOW. Some years I don't shoot a buck but take as many does as I can. Here's what I'm talking about my 07 season buck and my 08 season buck - Looking for something bigger in 09 somewhere around 130ish or bigger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwg1976 View Post
    I won't shoot a buck unless it tops the buck prier to what I shot before. I hope this makes since, I don't live in a big buck producing area so I wait and wait until I see something that makes me go WOW. Some years I don't shoot a buck but take as many does as I can. Here's what I'm talking about my 07 season buck and my 08 season buck - Looking for something bigger in 09 somewhere around 130ish or bigger
    To me that is the way it should be done or atleast till you kill a giant like a 160 or something. Then I think a person definatly needs to shoot for Maturity of a buck. If a person kills a 120 in 6 1/2 year old buck then that is a trophy in itself cause it is hard to kill a buck once he hits the 4 1/2 year old mark.

Default I am holding out for a Booner

Till a 125 comes by

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    What I look for in a buck.
    a. B & C - you bet ya. (I'm 57 and have never shot a B & C) :-(
    b. Non typical - especially if it has drop tines.
    c. large bodied animal - we've got a 6 point at the farm that is a hog (been
    a 6 point for the past 3 seasons).

What I look for in a doe.
    a. large bodied mature animal.
    b. one that has unusual coloring / pattern (I dogged a large doe that had
    a prominate double white throat patch for 2 years without success).
    c. I do my best to try NOT to shoot a doe that has a young one with her,
    (especially if I can tell if it is a late born one or is nursing).

With that being said, I would not hesitate to put down an animal that has
    been hurt, wounded or I can tell is ill or starving. I've only done this
    on one occasion, a doe had it's entire bottom jaw shot off - it was skin &
    bones. No, I did not use the animal. My dad passed on a small buck one
    year that had it's hind leg including the hip down blown off. It was very thin
    but still able to eat. The next season we both saw this same animal, the
    wound was completely healed over and the animal was healthy (if you
    didn't see it from it's wounded side, you would have never known it was
    missing the hind quarter. Nature can sometimes fool you.

I've got a question for you. If you came upon a pair of bucks who's antlers
    were locked together but both were alive even though wore out. Would you
    shoot one or both of them ? I don't know if it's legal or not or if it's more of
    an ethical question. If one were dead, what would you do ?
    In Illinois it is legal as long as you have the tags. We are allowed two antler and all the antlerless we want. Take 'em

I doubt I will shoot any buck under 120" but who knows.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

jim

In Illinois it is legal as long as you have the tags. We are allowed two antler and all the antlerless we want. Take 'em
    from Bowjacker

Now there's an honest man.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    For me, on bucks... if it's not big enough for the wall, it's not big enough to shoot.
    Agreed....however does...if it is in range....it is in danger
    WARP SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    First good eight pointer around 120class is going down for me.

First does come by are going into the freezer as well.

DB
    Sounds like you and I have the about same standards. I am going to shoot as many does as I can and only 120"+ bucks.

Oh, and I am leaving for an elk hunt today and the first legal elk that gives me a shot is gong to get it.