You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

jim

Default Tarsal gland removal ?

This was one of the first things I remember being told to do before you field dress your deer. If not, the meat would be tanted. Do you feel this is necessary or do you feel it's a myth ?

myth, I have herd some people like to do that but I don't and I have never had any problems with the meat. All of my inlaws hunt and none of then are under 48 so every time one of them shoots a deer they call me and tell me that they need a fresh back. I drag the deer out for them and I skin and quarter the deer for them never removing the glands, just cutting the leg off above the elbow. I have never had any complaints from them about the quality of the meat.

jim

I feel it's a myth as well. If this were going to happen, it would have to be while the animal is alive (circulation). I would think you would stand a better chance of transfering scent from the knife used to remove the glands.
    No offense to my elders - I do notice this practice more often by them as I help check deer in during our gun season. My grandfather and dad felt this had to be done.

Definatly a myth. I have let deer goe for a few days hanging without skinning them and the meat was always good. I have no idea where that originated from.

Myth. I have never done it. I remember my uncle telling me the meat would not be any good if I didn't remove.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Default Tarsal gland

I have removed a few but not for the meat.

I freeze them and use in the field to attract more domanating bucks and sometimes use the gland from a hot doe.

Actually has work at times.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers